Republican Anti-Democracy and Voter Disenfranchisement

And no one has to present ID, they just verify their name and address. And one vote per address counts, so there's no "vote early, vote often" nonsense.

And yet... this Georgia law is SO not this simple. It's intentionally antagonistic toward counties that voted Democrat, and it's intentionally obstructive to the democratic process.

It's a law that doesn't fix anything. So why did republicans rush to push it through?

Super weird, you guys.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I’m for that. :thumbs

Interestingly... I did a paper on this in college. There is actually a comprehensive government study on this.

Long story short, voting on a weekend or on a holiday does not help voter turnout or help any particular party.

Basically, individuals who are motivated to vote do so, uninterested voters don't. 

That being said, I would be in favor of election day being a holiday as a celebration of Democracy.

• Plus1 2
6 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Interestingly... I did a paper on this in college. There is actually a comprehensive government study on this.

Long story short, voting on a weekend or on a holiday does not help voter turnout or help any particular party.

Basically, individuals who are motivated to vote do so, uninterested voters don't. 

That being said, I would be in favor of election day being a holiday as a celebration of Democracy.

When was this tried for them to study?

• Plus1 1

You know a thread has run its course when James O’Keefe is used to show proof of voter fraud. The same James O’Keefe that has been found to pay the people in his videos to do what he wants and the same James O’Keefe that had to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in settlements for the people he smeared? Thats the guy people trust for their news? What a joke. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/local/la-xpm-2013-mar-07-la-me-0308-acorn-20130308-story.html%3f_amp=true

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, knapplc said:

And no one has to present ID, they just verify their name and address.

Why are so against the best chance of a free and fair election?  It’s been documented on here many times that the majority want voter ID.  I believe @DevoHusker posted showing even 60% of Black Americans are for voter ID.

• Plus1 2
11 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Why are so against the best chance of a free and fair election?  It’s been documented on here many times that the majority want voter ID.  I believe @DevoHusker posted showing even 60% of Black Americans are for voter ID.

I'm on record saying we should show ID to vote. I also know how this can be used to create a poll tax, and barriers to vote. 

We could eliminate the need for ID to vote - but keep it to register - by simply mailing a ballot to all eligible voters. That would be a free and fair election, and would boost participation. 

• Plus1 3
11 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I'm on record saying we should show ID to vote. I also know how this can be used to create a poll tax, and barriers to vote. 

We could eliminate the need for ID to vote - but keep it to register - by simply mailing a ballot to all eligible voters. That would be a free and fair election, and would boost participation. 

If you need it to register then what’s the problem with showing to actually vote?

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It's moot if they simply mail ballots to eligible voters.  Win/Win!

It’s not moot, how do you know who is the one filling out the ballot unless you require a copy of ID and/or signature verification when returning ballot?  It’s a win/win. Security and access.  

• Plus1 3

2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

It’s not moot, how do you know who is the one filling out the ballot unless you require a copy of ID and/or signature verification when returning ballot?

trump mailed his ballot in this last election. Our military votes by mail every single election. Seems like a process that's already working.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

trump mailed his ballot in this last election. Our military votes by mail every single election. Seems like a process that's already working.

Correct, and absentee requested ballots are quite different than mass voter roll mail ballots.  But you already know this :thumbs

• Plus1 3
Just now, Archy1221 said:

You Forget something. 

As you said, I already knew that. But it's an irrelevant point, because one vote per address still makes elections free & secure, whether that address is an FOB, 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, or 123 Main Street.

No studies have found that providing every eligible voter a ballot by mail would result in security issues. Despite the breathless outrage by Republicans crying voter fraud there is no issue, so this is an obvious solution to all problems. It would increase participation, eliminate lines at the polls, and would be fantastic for a democracy.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1