Republican Anti-Democracy and Voter Disenfranchisement

2 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

I can appreciate Rubio pointing this out. But the commissioner didn't claim to pull the All-Star game because he was personally offended by the law.  The organization made it based on what they thought was best for the image of the MLB.  The organization made a strategic decision.  People can call it "virtue signaling" all they want, but it's business.

We scream for capitalism.  Then we cry when we get it.  It's stupid.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I can appreciate Rubio pointing this out. But the commissioner didn't claim to pull the All-Star game because he was personally offended by the law.  The organization made it based on what they thought was best for the image of the MLB.  The organization made a strategic decision.  People can call it "virtue signaling" all they want, but it's business.

We scream for capitalism.  Then we cry when we get it.  It's stupid.

Some fun tidbits to consider. 

It looks like the game is moving to Denver. Atlanta is 51% black, while Denver is 11% black.

Georgia has a Republican Governor. Colorado has a Democratic Governor.

While Colorado does mail absentee ballots to every registered voter, they have to provide a photo ID when registering and when voting in person. 

Not sure what it is MLB is gaining here, and I am darn sure that it will hurt Atlanta.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, DevoHusker said:

Some fun tidbits to consider. 

It looks like the game is moving to Denver. Atlanta is 51% black, while Denver is 11% black.

Georgia has a Republican Governor. Colorado has a Democratic Governor.

While Colorado does mail absentee ballots to every registered voter, they have to provide a photo ID when registering and when voting in person. 

Not sure what it is MLB is gaining here, and I am darn sure that it will hurt Atlanta.

They are getting a TON of media.  And they are probably pretty sure that their target markets will see the move as a good thing.  The best thing that happened to MLB in this was Trump screaming for people to boycott.  Facts be damned, that will make most of Americans believe MLB made the right choice. 

1 minute ago, funhusker said:

They are getting a TON of media.  And they are probably pretty sure that their target markets will see the move as a good thing.  The best thing that happened to MLB in this was Trump screaming for people to boycott.  Facts be damned, that will make most of Americans believe MLB made the right choice. 

But you don't think it will hurt Atlanta? Millions of dollars in revenue lost. And, the move won't change the law in GA. It may cause an emphasis to be placed on 2022 GA elections, in an effort to do so, but that seems like pretty delayed gratification.

5 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

But you don't think it will hurt Atlanta? Millions of dollars in revenue lost. And, the move won't change the law in GA. It may cause an emphasis to be placed on 2022 GA elections, in an effort to do so, but that seems like pretty delayed gratification.

Actions have consequences. Voting has consequences. Do you really think that a baseball game will provide such a huge boon to Atlanta that it will lift the inner city out of poverty? The only people in Atlanta it will hurt are the corporations that stood to make huge money, people who are already rich. That money would have been stashed away for their next yacht, shipped out of Atlanta to their shareholders, or been given out in corporate kickbacks. Not given to their employees and has very little affect on inner city Atlantan's. This move will impact the folks its supposed to impact. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
25 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Actions have consequences. Voting has consequences. Do you really think that a baseball game will provide such a huge boon to Atlanta that it will lift the inner city out of poverty? The only people in Atlanta it will hurt are the corporations that stood to make huge money, people who are already rich. That money would have been stashed away for their next yacht, shipped out of Atlanta to their shareholders, or been given out in corporate kickbacks. Not given to their employees and has very little affect on inner city Atlantan's. This move will impact the folks its supposed to impact. 

I said they would lose millions in revenue. I never said it would have been the watershed moment for inner city poor in Atlanta. How many people of Atlanta do those corporations employ? How many folks in the service industry will now lose out on overtime and huge tips? How many were temporary positions, and may have been the first work they have had since the pandemic started, and they were looking forward to supplementing their $1,400 stimulus check but now won't have a job?

So you are okay with corporations that employ thousands of inner city poor in Atlanta losing millions to make a political statement?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

That's the point of boycotts.

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Where was this hand-wringing when trump called for a boycott of Goodyear?

I am not wringing my hands, and I called out the hypocrisy by that Trump attempt since Goodyear supplies tires for all the motorcade vehicles, including specialty tires for "the Beast". 

So you're okay with telling folks that they can't work because MLB wants to play politics?

• Haha 1
Just now, DevoHusker said:

To hurt the wrong people...got it. Maybe someone should look at it from a different angle :dunno

We all understand who it hurts.  It hurts the same people that a Goodyear boycott would hurt.  Or boycotting the NFL would hurt.  It hurts everyone involved.  The higher ups and the beer vendors.

I'm not much of a boycott person because I really don't think they accomplish much either outside of pissing people off on both sides of the issue.  But my original comment was to point out that the commissioner still holding a private membership isn't really related to the business dealings of a billion dollar industry.

Just now, funhusker said:

We all understand who it hurts.  It hurts the same people that a Goodyear boycott would hurt.  Or boycotting the NFL would hurt.  It hurts everyone involved.  The higher ups and the beer vendors.

I'm not much of a boycott person because I really don't think they accomplish much either outside of pissing people off on both sides of the issue.  But my original comment was to point out that the commissioner still holding a private membership isn't really related to the business dealings of a billion dollar industry.

I am not a boycott person either. I think it is stupid to believe that me not buying/attending/endorsing something is going to "hit em where it counts". Most mega corps could not give one sh*t about what I think or do. I have never bought into the stupid right wing boycotts starting with Kaepernick, and continue to watch what I want to watch, attend what I want to attend, and buy whatever products I want to buy. 

For you and @knapplc to remember, this is more than one 4 hour ballgame. This is a weeklong event, with people filling motels/restaurants/bars etc. 

I do agree with your stance on separating Manfred's personal membership from that at the MLB helm. But, I thought the jab from Rubio more than scored a few points.