Republican Anti-Democracy and Voter Disenfranchisement

Note, this is from prior to 2020 Presidential election.

https://www.heritage.org/election-integrity/commentary/more-examples-election-fraud-prove-the-left-denial-about-it

The Heritage Election Fraud Database showcases a sampling of close to 1,300 proven instances of election fraud. Yet, many other cases go unreported and other potential cases are not investigated or prosecuted.

There has been a rash of recent arrests around the country. Although those who have been charged are entitled to a presumption of innocence, these cases illustrate the types of fraud that have occurred and can occur that threaten our democratic system.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
36 minutes ago, knapplc said:

As you said, I already knew that. But it's an irrelevant point, because one vote per address still makes elections free & secure, whether that address is an FOB, 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, or 123 Main Street.

No studies have found that providing every eligible voter a ballot by mail would result in security issues. Despite the breathless outrage by Republicans crying voter fraud there is no issue, so this is an obvious solution to all problems. It would increase participation, eliminate lines at the polls, and would be fantastic for a democracy.

From previous link

Additionally, it’s worth noting that election fraud cases often involve absentee ballots.

The danger posed to voters by such ballots, which are voted outside the supervision of election officials and outside the observation of poll watchers in unsecure settings, is shown by a video that has just surfaced from Escondido, California.

A local resident, David Sprouse, filmed an individual walking through his neighborhood last week stealing mail—including absentee ballots—from his home and other houses. And the Virginia State Board of Elections had to send out a press release warning voters that six Richmond-area mailboxes—which may have contained absentee ballots—were broken into over the first weekend in October. Other threats to the security of voting by mail are coming to light.

Take Hudson County, New Jersey. A postal worker was arrested for discarding mail after an investigation conducted by the U.S. Department of Justice found more than 1,800 pieces of mail, including 99 absentee ballots, in a dumpster.

• Thanks 2
20 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

https://www.heritage.org/election-integrity/commentary/more-examples-election-fraud-prove-the-left-denial-about-it

The Heritage Election Fraud Database showcases a sampling of close to 1,300 proven instances of election fraud. Yet, many other cases go unreported and other potential cases are not investigated or prosecuted.

There has been a rash of recent arrests around the country. Although those who have been charged are entitled to a presumption of innocence, these cases illustrate the types of fraud that have occurred and can occur that threaten our democratic system.

12 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

From previous link

Additionally, it’s worth noting that election fraud cases often involve absentee ballots.

The danger posed to voters by such ballots, which are voted outside the supervision of election officials and outside the observation of poll watchers in unsecure settings, is shown by a video that has just surfaced from Escondido, California.

A local resident, David Sprouse, filmed an individual walking through his neighborhood last week stealing mail—including absentee ballots—from his home and other houses. And the Virginia State Board of Elections had to send out a press release warning voters that six Richmond-area mailboxes—which may have contained absentee ballots—were broken into over the first weekend in October. Other threats to the security of voting by mail are coming to light.

Take Hudson County, New Jersey. A postal worker was arrested for discarding mail after an investigation conducted by the U.S. Department of Justice found more than 1,800 pieces of mail, including 99 absentee ballots, in a dumpster.

1,300 cases dating back to 2010 (or earlier? that's the date I saw), is miniscule considering we had in excess of 155 million votes cast in the last presidential election alone. 

Even if those had all occurred this past November, that's what? 0.00001% of fraud? 

That tells me we have some pretty secure elections. Probably don't need all these new laws to "fix" elections, huh?

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
58 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mediabiasfactcheck.com/heritage-foundation/%3famp

The Heritage Foundation????

Lol..the amount of disinformation being spread in this thread is astounding.  

The fact of the matter is the past election was the most secure in our history.  You've never been able to answer why then would the Republicans want to make it more difficult to vote. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

55 minutes ago, knapplc said:

1,300 cases dating back to 2010 (or earlier? that's the date I saw), is miniscule considering we had in excess of 155 million votes cast in the last presidential election alone. 

Even if those had all occurred this past November, that's what? 0.00001% of fraud? 

That tells me we have some pretty secure elections. Probably don't need all these new laws to "fix" elections, huh?

I would rather it be zero cases, wouldn't you? That would be a pretty secure election, huh?

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

The fact of the matter is the past election was the most secure in our history.  You've never been able to answer why then would the Republicans want to make it more difficult to vote. 

I definitely would never have guessed that you would try to attack the source. I am shocked. 

:sarcasm

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Please don't ever utilize anyone off this list as a source. Wouldn't want more disinformation, right?

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/left/ 

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Do you think that's realistic? 

No, not really. And, I think that you and I are probably hoping for the same goal, but from two opposite trains of thought. 

But I would like to see it less than the 1,300 instances that we know of. You would like that too, if for nothing else than confidence in our elections/results. 

You think that is possible with less constraints and oversight. I don't think it is possible without uniform sets of guidelines and oversight. 

But, I would also like to see more confidence in our elections and results, while still increasing the number of voters while doing so. This won't happen without rules and guidelines, imo. 

I am not for voter suppression/gerrymandering/reducing opportunities. And I am for free and fair elections. But sometimes the line between what seems to me to be common sense and what the left proclaims is oppressive and racist is blurry. 

Just now, DevoHusker said:

No, not really. And, I really think that you and I are probably hoping for the same goal, but from two opposite trains of thought. 

But I would like to see it less than the 1,300 instances that we know of. You would like that too, if for nothing else than confidence in our elections/results. 

You think that is possible with less constraints and oversight. I don't think it is possible without uniform sets of guidelines and oversight. 

But, I would also like to see more confidence in our elections and results, while still increasing the number of voters while doing so. This won't happen without rules and guidelines, imo. 

I am not for voter suppression/gerrymandering/reducing opportunities. And I am for free and fair elections. But sometimes the line between what seems to me to be common sense and what the left proclaims is oppressive and racist is blurry. 

I am advocating for uniform sets of guidelines and oversight. I'm not sure why you think I'm not.

Colorado has been conducting vote-by-mail forever now. They have statistically zero cases of election fraud. 

Just mail everyone a ballot and be done. It's easy, it's been proven to work, it's safe, secure & free, it promotes democracy... I don't see why anyone would have an issue with something that's working. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I am advocating for uniform sets of guidelines and oversight. I'm not sure why you think I'm not.

Colorado has been conducting vote-by-mail forever now. They have statistically zero cases of election fraud. 

Just mail everyone a ballot and be done. It's easy, it's been proven to work, it's safe, secure & free, it promotes democracy... I don't see why anyone would have an issue with something that's working. 

I've stated I don't have a problem with voting by mail. 

I just feel there needs to be valid ID involved, a request for a ballot involved, secure/monitored dropboxes involved, and a set amount of time (not 6 f-ing months; you may not even know who the candidates are for certain :o ) to complete the process. 

• Plus1 1

From last year, just prior to the election:

After 7 years of voting by mail, Colorado voters aren't taken in by absentee ballot drama

Part of the national drama swirling around the Nov. 3 general election is centered on voting by mail.

But that’s not the case in Colorado.

While some states will be sending ballots to all voters for the first time in response to the COVID-19 pandemic and the potential health risks of in-person voting, all registered Colorado voters have been receiving ballots by mail since 2013.

The habit of voting by mail was established long before that for many Coloradans, said Angela Myers, Larimer County clerk and recorder. About 70% of state voters had already opted to be placed on a “permanent mail ballot” list maintained by the state.

Voters enjoyed receiving a ballot in the mail, filling it out at their convenience and returning it by mail or by hand at secure drop boxes by 7 p.m. on Election Day.

“We were already 70% of the way there with our voters,” Myers said. “When the legislature became involved, it was an easy call in 2013.”

Since 2006, five cases of voter fraud have led to criminal convictions in Colorado, according to a database maintained by the Heritage Foundation, a conservative research and education institution.

Historically, mail balloting across the country has not had serious problems, said Kyle Saunders, a professor of political science at Colorado State University.

“Most of the empirical evidence does not support the idea that fraud is a concern,” Saunders said. “I can’t say that it never happens; nobody can. There have been incidents.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

After 7 years of voting by mail, Colorado voters aren't taken in by absentee ballot drama

Part of the national drama swirling around the Nov. 3 general election is centered on voting by mail.

While some states will be sending ballots to all voters for the first time in response to the COVID-19 pandemic and the potential health risks of in-person voting, all registered Colorado voters have been receiving ballots by mail since 2013.

The habit of voting by mail was established long before that for many Coloradans, said Angela Myers, Larimer County clerk and recorder. About 70% of state voters had already opted to be placed on a “permanent mail ballot” list maintained by the state.

Voters enjoyed receiving a ballot in the mail, filling it out at their convenience and returning it by mail or by hand at secure drop boxes by 7 p.m. on Election Day.

“We were already 70% of the way there with our voters,” Myers said. “When the legislature became involved, it was an easy call in 2013.”

Since 2006, five cases of voter fraud have led to criminal convictions in Colorado, according to a database maintained by the Heritage Foundation, a conservative research and education institution.

Historically, mail balloting across the country has not had serious problems, said Kyle Saunders, a professor of political science at Colorado State University.

“Most of the empirical evidence does not support the idea that fraud is a concern,” Saunders said. “I can’t say that it never happens; nobody can. There have been incidents.

Yeah, sure, sure...everyone knows the Coloradoan is a leftist rag full of disinformation :steam

(I kid of course..thanks for the read)

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Just voted for mayor, city councilmembers, and few ballot issues the same way this very week. 

• Plus1 1