B1G Media Day

Dunno if this should go in this thread or another one, but here's a 'bold predictions' list from a bunch of B1G writers.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2019/07/22/big-ten-football-bold-predictions-michigan-ohio-state-nebraska/1798632001/

Zach Osterman, Indianapolis Star

Count me among those still unsure about Ohio State (though keeping a very open mind), and picking Michigan to win the East. But also count me among the lesser crowd that doesn’t see Michigan winning in Indianapolis in December. I like Scott Frost, I like Adrian Martinez more, and I just feel like Nebraska is finally ready to throw a curveball. I don’t think the Huskers are necessarily a playoff team, but given that I think only one other writer anywhere I saw had the same Nebraska-wins-the-Big Ten prediction I did, I feel safe in calling it bold.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Toe said:

Dunno if this should go in this thread or another one, but here's a 'bold predictions' list from a bunch of B1G writers.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2019/07/22/big-ten-football-bold-predictions-michigan-ohio-state-nebraska/1798632001/

"I don’t think the Huskers are necessarily a playoff team, but given that I think only one other writer anywhere I saw had the same Nebraska-wins-the-Big Ten prediction I did, I feel safe in calling it bold."

Dunno. I think if you're bold enough to say we win the B1G, it isn't that bold to say we're also a playoff team. I know we could have some losses and still get to the B1G championship as a 2 or 3 loss team, but if you think we go there and win it's more likely we're a 1 loss team. A 1 loss Nebraska that wins the B1G is going to the playoff.

On 7/21/2019 at 1:03 AM, grandpasknee said:

Sadly, this week I realized my fan optimism has taken quite a hit.  Amidst all the hoopla of the Big Ten Media days and the stellar interviews from Frost, Mo, Adrian and Davis, amidst all the national press predictions for Husker success, I got a really sick feeling in my stomach.  That old "we can't have nice things, something will go wrong" dread overcame me.  I've been in the 7, maybe 8 win mentality since the end of last year....but even that expectation now scares me.

I really, really need for the season to start and to have some good looking wins on the board to get past this morass.  We need a good year.

I’m starting to feel a bit like this, too.  I was very high on them at the end of the year, and optimistic for this year, but there is just too much hype.  How many times have we heard, “we’re back!” Only to fall flat on our butts enroute to another embarrassing season and another coach on the hot seat.  Now, I don’t for a second think that any result this year will land Frost on the hot seat, but we’ve just been down this road too many times before.  Just like last year, I’m not going to worry about the record, I’m just going to watch it unfold the way it unfolds and relish in the good times and drink away the bad.  :) 

34 minutes ago, Scarlet Overkill said:

I’m starting to feel a bit like this, too.  I was very high on them at the end of the year, and optimistic for this year, but there is just too much hype.  How many times have we heard, “we’re back!” Only to fall flat on our butts enroute to another embarrassing season and another coach on the hot seat.

Whenever I feel this way I remember not all coaches and teams suck whenever they're hyped up. Ya, we laid an egg every time we had the opportunity to win a big game, but we have a different coach now. One that has won big games.

• Fire 1
4 hours ago, Scarlet Overkill said:

I was very high on them at the end of the year, and optimistic for this year, but there is just too much hype.  How many times have we heard, “we’re back!”

Honestly, it's been a long time since I've been hyped in a "we're back" kind of way. Last year I was excited, but not in a high expectations for the first season sort of way. And certainly I never felt hyped during the Riley era, my feelings never rose above 'cautiously optimistic' in those days.

This is the first time, in a long time I have heard "We... The team.. We will,,, we will... As a team"

The winning as a team attitude is back, not just the will to win, but the expectation that everyone will give 100% for the team every play, as a unit.  
We will see rising stars, and moments, but it is going to be a team effort.   If Martinez wins the Heisman, I see him explaining how it's because of the players he is with. 

• Plus1 1