Barney Cotton waiting for heart transplant

Fru

I was impressed by Barney’s presence when he took over for Bo in the USC game. I just remember admiring something about his calm and quiet yet passionate demeanor, particularly since he knew he was to be fired. (Many are the opposite, like his replacement, Cav, who burned rubber on his way out of the parking lot when he was fired).

and while it’s not saying a lot, his o-lines are the best I’ve seen since watching Nebraska (‘05 or ‘06). Perhaps at its best was around 2010. I think that’s the year we beat a highly ranked Washington team. I remember the ESPN announcers being enameled by the quality of our o-line and in particular its quirks that Barney and staff implemented. For example, they gushed over how our line had foot wide gaps which played very well to the new zone read offense that we were running with Martinez in our newfound rushing monster of an offense.

thoughts and prayers, Barney.

• Plus1 1

Barney and his family have given a lot to Nebraska football during their lifetime, hope he gets the transplant he needs and he can have a long life afterwards.  I am sure Barney wants to keep coaching, but it may be smart for him to step away and enjoy retirement.  I think his sons have followed him into coaching, so he can follow their careers.

• Plus1 2

• 3 months later...