Top Gun: Maverick

34 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

There isn't a negative thing to say.  It was very well done.  Probably the best sequel I've seen.

I liked the movie but there were a few things that bothered me.  They brought in the best pilots but then paired them up.  As far as I know RIOS are not pilots and Pilots are not RIOS.  Also in a bunch of shots their shoulder straps were too loose and sometimes barely on their shoulders.  In one scenes at the end Rooster hits his head on the canopy.  That doesn't happen.  Also bob had glasses.  I know you can where them if your eyesight gets worse but I'm pretty sure it has to be 20/20 at enlistment.  I could see if he was an older guy but they all were pretty young.  

On 6/14/2022 at 2:34 PM, BigRedBuster said:

There isn't a negative thing to say.  It was very well done.  Probably the best sequel I've seen.

It's a summer popcorn flick. It is what is is. But I could shot all those jets down in 1 minute! #plothole

• Haha 1

On 6/14/2022 at 3:14 PM, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Also in a bunch of shots their shoulder straps were too loose and sometimes barely on their shoulders.  In one scenes at the end Rooster hits his head on the canopy.  That doesn't happen.  

It actually did happen, while filming for real in the air though.

Definitely a mistake, but it wasn't because it was fake or VFX'd or anything.

Finally took the Mrs to see Maverick tonight. We both thought it was great but not quite as good as the original. Good summertime popcorn flick fun. Sort of mirrored the key plot points of the original but still managed to make it it’s own.  Glad we saw it in a theatre.

• Plus1 1
  • 4 weeks later...

My wife and I finally saw this last Friday. I think it fulfilled its destiny to be a Tom Cruise action flick intended to spur nostalgic memories while people watched fighter jets go pew pew at one another. Very entertaining.

As a movie, I'd probably give it a 7/10. Its greatest strengths are the action scenes, VFX and the Miles Teller/Tom Cruise acting combo. Its weaknesses are some of the secondary/tertiary plot elements. The Penny Benjamin story angle was really clunky (hell, even the main plot itself is a bit :wtf) and it was about as scripted/routine of an action flick as you can get.

But hey, you don't go to a movie like Top Gun expecting to be blown away by the writing and character development. And they obviously put an immense amount of work into filming, which is worth a lot of kudos in and of itself.

• Plus1 1
33 minutes ago, Enhance said:

My wife and I finally saw this last Friday. I think it fulfilled its destiny to be a Tom Cruise action flick intended to spur nostalgic memories while people watched fighter jets go pew pew at one another. Very entertaining.

As a movie, I'd probably give it a 7/10. Its greatest strengths are the action scenes, VFX and the Miles Teller/Tom Cruise acting combo. Its weaknesses are some of the secondary/tertiary plot elements. The Penny Benjamin story angle was really clunky (hell, even the main plot itself is a bit :wtf) and it was about as scripted/routine of an action flick as you can get.

But hey, you don't go to a movie like Top Gun expecting to be blown away by the writing and character development. And they obviously put an immense amount of work into filming, which is worth a lot of kudos in and of itself.

It just keeps climbing at the box office too!

17 hours ago, Enhance said:

The Penny Benjamin story angle was really clunky

You thought so? I liked the fact that they made her a character. And it's really hard to go wrong with Jennifer Connelly. The window scene was a little hammy, but otherwise I liked what they did with her.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

You thought so? I liked the fact that they made her a character. And it's really hard to go wrong with Jennifer Connelly. The window scene was a little hammy, but otherwise I liked what they did with her.

Yeah she gave a great performance, is a bomb shell, and the idea to bring that role into play (and cast her specifically) was great.

For me though, most of the movie felt like it was trying to tell me I should care about her rather than help me actually care about her. And then the relationship development itself just felt disjointed. They apparently had off and on flings over the years that never worked out but now this time it's gonna work? They made a point to tell us that but then never go much further (IIRC). And then he goes on a potential one-way trip mission after having reconnected with this lifelong love, only to return to her apparent abandonment (couldn't even leave a note/text him?) but don't panic everyone because GOTCHA 30 sec. later she's back looking fine in front of a sports car in a weird 'surprise she does love you' moment.

She did encourage him to get back into the fold of the mission once Iceman was gone, which helped her story and their development, but then why does she just go MIA at the end? Felt like more of a trope to get me to think 'aww his gf dumped him' rather than to actually develop their love story.

I fully accept this is a Tom Cruise action movie so I wasn't expecting a great romance plot line but it just all felt a bit forced and a little awkward.

• Plus1 1