Loki Series on Disney+

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Did anyone else watch the show last night? I thought it was excellent, easily the best of the Disney series so far. 

Loki gets taken out of his comfort zone in this one. Interesting premise, that I'm sure fans of the comic books already know about, but it's new to me. The show's timeline starts immediately after Loki disappears with the tesseract in Endgame.  Hijinks ensue.

So far my ranking of the extended MCU shows are:

1. Loki

2. WandaVision

3. Falcon & Winter Soldier

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Did anyone else watch the show last night? I thought it was excellent, easily the best of the Disney series so far. 

Loki gets taken out of his comfort zone in this one. Interesting premise, that I'm sure fans of the comic books already know about, but it's new to me. The show's timeline starts immediately after Loki disappears with the tesseract in Endgame.  Hijinks ensue.

So far my ranking of the extended MCU shows are:

1. Loki

2. WandaVision

3. Falcon & Winter Soldier

As far as I know, this is uncharted territory for Loki in terms of pulling stories from the comics. 

And yes, this was very, very good. I really enjoyed WandaVision and Falcon & Winter Soldier, but this one is hitting differently, because Hiddleston is one of the best actors in the MCU (let alone Hollywood), and he absolutely loves the character. That, and while Marvel has treated both WV and F&WS with Big Boy gloves (and budgets), this one feels different; maybe it's because Loki has been a central character for so long. 

• Thanks 1

I am extremely excited to start watching this show.  Hiddleston is a phenomenal actor and you couldn't have cast a better actor (he's also excellent in The Night Manager if looking for something else awesome).  I was about to fire it up last night and saw the first episode was almost an hour and decided to hold off so I could enjoy it over the weekend.  I will now be abandoning this thread, Twitter and anything else that I can think of that might be spoiler related haha

58 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

I am extremely excited to start watching this show.  Hiddleston is a phenomenal actor and you couldn't have cast a better actor (he's also excellent in The Night Manager if looking for something else awesome).  I was about to fire it up last night and saw the first episode was almost an hour and decided to hold off so I could enjoy it over the weekend.  I will now be abandoning this thread, Twitter and anything else that I can think of that might be spoiler related haha

That was kind of the interesting thing.  There really wasn't a *huge* amount to be spoilered.  At least not if you had watched the trailers and knew the basis for what it was going to be about.  There was a lot of going over what had already happened.

Not that I'm complaining.  You have to kind of set the table before things really get rolling.  WandaVision spent most of two episodes (and part of a third, iirc) not really doing much.  But one they had the foundation laid it took off and really got rolling.

So this episode was more introducing the new characters and explaining how we got here.  But it looks like it's going to be pretty interesting.

• Thanks 1

Really love the analog, art-deco stylization of the TVA. Marvel has been crushing it the last few years leaning into not being afraid to get campy and stylish with its properties (I think Taika Waititi's success doing Thor: Ragnarok was the catalyst to this pivot in a lot of ways), and Owen Wilson and Hiddleston are setting up to have a lot of fun chemistry.

How on earth they're able to tell these stories so successfully in isolation while also using them to set up fundamental pieces for other stories years and steps down the line is unfathomable and so neat. But specifically in Loki, it'll be fun to see what historical hijinks they'll attribute to him. I think the trailers showed something that might be the destruction of Pompei? Loki as Jack the Ripper? Fun stuff ahead.

• Plus1 1
  • 1 month later...

Overall this series was fantastic and by far my favorite of the original series' thus far. That being said, the finale was a huge letdown. Didn't seem to matter for its own sake of this story, but only as a setup for the new big bad of the MCU. I swear the entire episode was just one big exposition dump, and Johnathan Majors performance was not believable to me at all. Maybe on purpose? 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Lorewarn said:

Overall this series was fantastic and by far my favorite of the original series' thus far. That being said, the finale was a huge letdown. Didn't seem to matter for its own sake of this story, but only as a setup for the new big bad of the MCU. I swear the entire episode was just one big exposition dump, and Johnathan Majors performance was not believable to me at all. Maybe on purpose? 

That was my take on Loki as well. I loved the first episode. Every subsequent episode made it just a little less lovable. 

Overall still very good, very well made, and I'd take a second season. But it peaked at the gate and coasted from there. 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...