Another marijuana citation...

12 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Anecdotally, it seems to me that it causes a certain level of lethargy and ambivalence. Maybe helpful for forgetting a poor performance and causing you to not care but not very good for preventing a repeat poor performance.

I'm wondering if it would eventually cause a player to not care about performing poorly.  Most of the regular smokers I knew in college never finished college.  That's really my biggest concern about these players that are smoking weed.  Are they falling into some kind of trap where they start smoking, under-perform, smoke more to deal with the disappointment... etc.  

3 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

I'm wondering if it would eventually cause a player to not care about performing poorly.  Most of the regular smokers I knew in college never finished college.  That's really my biggest concern about these players that are smoking weed.  Are they falling into some kind of trap where they start smoking, under-perform, smoke more to deal with the disappointment... etc.  

Yeah, I would agree, that’s what I’ve noticed about people that use it regularly and excessively. The success stories seem to be fewer and further between. Hopefully we’ll start getting more thorough studies since it’s being legalized more places. I think it has some benefits, I just doubt many of those translate to better athletic performance.

I don't buy the argument that if we want to win championships the players can't smoke. You think guys on Alabama and Clemson's teams aren't smoking? 

I also don't agree with the argument it makes guys lethargic or apathetic. Is that the case for some pot heads sure, but I know some pretty successful guys who smoke regularly. Plus getting caught one time with a small amount of marijuana does not mean you're smoking enough for it to be a detriment. 

Besides if you're arguing that pot hurts performance so you shouldn't do it you have to feel the same way about alcohol. The detrimental effects of alcohol on athletes are as bad or worse than pot with zero benefits. 

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I don't buy the argument that if we want to win championships the players can't smoke. You think guys on Alabama and Clemson's teams aren't smoking? 

I would say no since I haven't heard of players on those teams getting suspended for 6 months.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/marijuana-and-college-football-softening-penalties-signal-an-important-modern-shift/

Its use continues to be a violation of federal law. The NCAA has banned marijuana for 32 years. It continues to test for it but only at championship events.

3 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I also don't agree with the argument it makes guys lethargic or apathetic. Is that the case for some pot heads sure, but I know some pretty successful guys who smoke regularly. Plus getting caught one time with a small amount of marijuana does not mean you're smoking enough for it to be a detriment. 

Besides if you're arguing that pot hurts performance so you shouldn't do it you have to feel the same way about alcohol. The detrimental effects of alcohol on athletes are as bad or worse than pot with zero benefits. 

I don’t believe any of these are very good arguments.

1- I haven’t seen anyone saying we can’t win championships because the players are toking it up. Rather only that it might make it a little more difficult.

2- Alabama and Clemson players doing it doesn’t mean jack. Look at their recruiting.... they’re already beginning the battle from a higher level (no pun intended). You can’t compare the results when there’s such an underlying disparity in the number of stars.

3- Yes it’s anecdotal and we all know some pretty successful people who smoke it. But I would have to say a person is lying if they won’t acknowledge they’ve seen more people who it’s hampered more than those it’s helped.

4- I’ve also not seen people saying alcohol is good for athletic performance. Unfortunately the headlines lately have been players getting busted for MJ and not for booze so that is what is being discussed more. One being worse than the other doesn’t mean the other is good.

Ill agree that getting busted for pot one time does not indicate much of anything. However the recent string of pot busts might indicate there is a cultural issue within our team and in the sport in general.  If you don’t want to hear it from me, HCSF also commented on it during media days.

....and how did I end up on this side of the discussion? I’m not opposed to it being legalized or to people using it, but I also don’t believe it is helping our team at all.

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, 4skers89 said:

He doesn't say he was smoking while trying to gain a first down so you're technically correct.  The NCAA document doesn't say how long pain relief lasts, only that skill impairment can remain for 24-36 hours after use so I wouldn't want my airline pilot smoking weed because his knees ache.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/marijuana-and-college-football-softening-penalties-signal-an-important-modern-shift/

We don’t know if they’re smoking within 36 hours of games.

That said the good argument in there is the muscle growth one. They’re doing it during training. But again we need to know more about the recovery side of it. Maybe it allows them to push harder. 

25 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I don’t believe any of these are very good arguments.

1- I haven’t seen anyone saying we can’t win championships because the players are toking it up. Rather only that it might make it a little more difficult.

2- Alabama and Clemson players doing it doesn’t mean jack. Look at their recruiting.... they’re already beginning the battle from a higher level (no pun intended). You can’t compare the results when there’s such an underlying disparity in the number of stars.

3- Yes it’s anecdotal and we all know some pretty successful people who smoke it. But I would have to say a person is lying if they won’t acknowledge they’ve seen more people who it’s hampered more than those it’s helped.

4- I’ve also not seen people saying alcohol is good for athletic performance. Unfortunately the headlines lately have been players getting busted for MJ and not for booze so that is what is being discussed more. One being worse than the other doesn’t mean the other is good.

Ill agree that getting busted for pot one time does not indicate much of anything. However the recent string of pot busts might indicate there is a cultural issue within our team and in the sport in general.  If you don’t want to hear it from me, HCSF also commented on it during media days.

....and how did I end up on this side of the discussion? I’m not opposed to it being legalized or to people using it, but I also don’t believe it is helping our team at all.

Just responding to #3 from a health standpoint and not a legal or rules standpoint, I know of more people it’s helped. I think it has harmed Randy Gregory’s health, at least mentally, because it clearly has a strong hold on him.

28 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Just responding to #3 from a health standpoint and not a legal or rules standpoint, I know of more people it’s helped. I think it has harmed Randy Gregory’s health, at least mentally, because it clearly has a strong hold on him.

I think medically it has helped a lot of people but typically those older than college age. I suppose that’s because of the nature of health issues it is good for. I guess I typically think of teenage or college age people when I think of people it has made unmotivated. The Beevis and Butthead effect..... I guess I have no good examples of 18-24 year old persons it has helped. Might just be my experiences....

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Yeah, I would agree, that’s what I’ve noticed about people that use it regularly and excessively. The success stories seem to be fewer and further between. Hopefully we’ll start getting more thorough studies since it’s being legalized more places. I think it has some benefits, I just doubt many of those translate to better athletic performance.

I mean, at least in my life, at least 80% of the people I regularly interact with regularly smoke weed. Overwhelming majority of them are driven, successful, normal human beings. But then again, I didn't smoke when I was 25 and younger and I didn't know many who did, and the younger my age the more correlation I had with my sample size being "burnouts".

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Landlord said:

I mean, at least in my life, at least 80% of the people I regularly interact with regularly smoke weed. Overwhelming majority of them are driven, successful, normal human beings. 

Wow! 80%......that seems extremely high. Maybe it’s our age difference. I would say not even 10% of people I regularly interact with smoke weed. Or maybe you’re a pothead :P

These threads always turn to debates on cannabis. It’s boring. I live in Colorado and I personally know tens of people who use it recreationally that are damn fine citizens.  I also see people who use it....and are not. 

Lets remember the names of the players who engage in this activity (and have been caught) and see if it actually affects their play, schooling, and citizenry.  Then in 2-3 years we can finally debate if it’s good or bad for their play and graduating. Or if they get into more trouble and cannabis was the gateway to their legal issues and failing to play well or graduate, we can blame cannabis (or the person).  It definitely seems like it’s ‘something’ now because they’re getting caught..not good. 

People in the world and players smoke pot. A lot. Some it will drag down, others it might not. I hope Washington, Robinson et al will decide for themselves if it’s worth it in this time of their lives. 

6 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Wow! 80%......that seems extremely high. Maybe it’s our age difference. I would say not even 10% of people I regularly interact with smoke weed. Or maybe you’re a pothead :P

Nah I don't smoke much because I'm a lightweight and it f#&%s with my head and makes me non-functional way too easily. But it is probably a generation/age difference thing as well as maybe a sociological thing in bigger more cosmopolitan areas.

With a quick google search it looks like 25% of 18-29 year olds smoke weed, compared to 13% of people 30-49, and 6% of people age 65 and up. I bet the percentages are higher in more densely populated urban areas as well. 

5 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

Can you do this stuff if you need to be your absolute best?  Doesnt it take your absolute best to win a NC?

Of intense critical jobs: Do they let aircraft carrier flight deck personnel smoke weed?

Do they let Nascar pit crew smoke weed?

It seems this kid isn't buying in.  Just hope it's not endemic to the program.

6 hours ago, I am I said:

These threads always turn to debates on cannabis. It’s boring. I live in Colorado and I personally know tens of people who use it recreationally that are damn fine citizens.  I also see people who use it....and are not. 

Lets remember the names of the players who engage in this activity (and have been caught) and see if it actually affects their play, schooling, and citizenry.  Then in 2-3 years we can finally debate if it’s good or bad for their play and graduating. Or if they get into more trouble and cannabis was the gateway to their legal issues and failing to play well or graduate, we can blame cannabis (or the person).  It definitely seems like it’s ‘something’ now because they’re getting caught..not good. 

People in the world and players smoke pot. A lot. Some it will drag down, others it might not. I hope Washington, Robinson et al will decide for themselves if it’s worth it in this time of their lives. 

There is no way of knowing whether it affects any of that, because we don’t know what they would be like without it. People who don’t smoke pot can suck at all of those things you mentioned.