Another marijuana citation...

Frost noted that its against NCAA rules and probably not helpful if you are on  a team trying to do what the huskers are trying to do.  Pretty much sums it up.  I figure most things that contribute to being great are about self discipline (like following team rules).   I figure it's probably in a category with skipping practice and work outs or getting crappy grades, sooner or later it will result in being kicked off the team.  

Some of these effects seem negative.

ncaa-manual-marijuana-graphic.jpg

https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/Substance Abuse Prevention Tool Kit_WEB_20170720.PDF

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/marijuana-and-college-football-softening-penalties-signal-an-important-modern-shift/

The NCAA reduced the penalty for positive marijuana test to 6 month suspension but they only test at championship events so we should be OK.

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, Hooked on Huskers said:

Need to relax Nebraska law, the toughest in the nation. Just follow Oklahoma path. On paper, "medical" MJ law but honestly, recreational purpose. Marijuana licenses (users) are a little bit easier to obtain ... very little barriers for "patients" (no doctor required). Right now, +150,000 Okie people approved license to buy legal marijuana. Also approved +3,000 licenses for growers, +1,500 licenses for dispensaries and 1000 licenses for processors.

Four blocks away from my house (Norman OK). You noticed drive-thru window? image.gif.eabe2be2578c6f27987561c8e208f939.gif.
"Cheeseburger w/tomato, french fries, malt and weed" image.gif.03e556a3264276144c07325531b66a23.gif:D

KPW77yX.png

https://kfor.com/2019/06/26/one-year-in-oklahoma-medical-marijuana-user-numbers-top-states/

https://weedmaps.com/dispensaries/the-honeypot-shop

image.gif

The Colorado coaching staff is probably paying someone to send weed legal in Colorado across the boarder. If they keep it up, half the team will be under the man's thumb before the Colorado game.

51 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

Some of these effects seem negative.

ncaa-manual-marijuana-graphic.jpg

https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/Substance Abuse Prevention Tool Kit_WEB_20170720.PDF

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/marijuana-and-college-football-softening-penalties-signal-an-important-modern-shift/

The NCAA reduced the penalty for positive marijuana test to 6 month suspension but they only test at championship events so we should be OK.

This is the basic problem I have with our players using marijuana. It is not a performance enhancer, it's not helping them be all they can be and the downside seems to have way more problems than the few beneficial effects. It may help with sleep and recovery time and it may help with pain management and anxiety but that's about the extent of the benefits. Problem is most of those using it aren't doing it for the limited few benefits, they're doing it for societal reasons and possibly with the misunderstanding that it is some sort of performance aid. And one of the biggest detriments is if they become unavailable to play due to team punishment or legal issues if caught.

Are there worse things? Sure there are but if you're a high (no pun intended) level D1 athlete it is just stupid to be messing with it. I realize they're college kids and this is part of that experience (at least it was mine) but I wasn't a scholarship football player with a whole team depending on me. Its probably better for them than excessive alcohol use but that doesn't make it good.  I don't believe Frost is real impressed by it and I would hope they come to realize it's not helping them or the team reach it's goals. Other than that I don't really care. It's kind of like the 90's teams, as long as they're winning it's not a problem but if/when they lose, you gotta wonder why they don't want every possible advantage.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

Can you do this stuff if you need to be your absolute best?  Doesnt it take your absolute best to win a NC?

Of intense critical jobs: Do they let aircraft carrier flight deck personnel smoke weed?

Do they let Nascar pit crew smoke weed?

I'm guessing they can smoke when they're not on the job, but it depends on whether their employers test them for marijuana. Whether they're allowed to do it on the job is irrelevant since the players aren't smoking during games.

Marijuana has been shown in at least one study to help with concussion symptoms and the debate is still out on how much it helps with recovery. It has been shown to help NFL players not get addicted to opioids. We don't really know yet whether the benefits outweigh the negatives.

And before someone chimes in, yes I know it's illegal, and it would be illegal for our 18-20 year old players even if it was legalized in Nebraska.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

This is the basic problem I have with our players using marijuana. It is not a performance enhancer, it's not helping them be all they can be and the downside seems to have way more problems than the few beneficial effects. It may help with sleep and recovery time and it may help with pain management and anxiety but that's about the extent of the benefits. Problem is most of those using it aren't doing it for the limited few benefits, they're doing it for societal reasons and possibly with the misunderstanding that it is some sort of performance aid. And one of the biggest detriments is if they become unavailable to play due to team punishment or legal issues if caught.

Are there worse things? Sure there are but if you're a high (no pun intended) level D1 athlete it is just stupid to be messing with it. I realize they're college kids and this is part of that experience (at least it was mine) but I wasn't a scholarship football player with a whole team depending on me. Its probably better for them than excessive alcohol use but that doesn't make it good.  I don't believe Frost is real impressed by it and I would hope they come to realize it's not helping them or the team reach it's goals. Other than that I don't really care. It's kind of like the 90's teams, as long as they're winning it's not a problem but if/when they lose, you gotta wonder why they don't want every possible advantage.

I believe the graphic is saying it decreases ability to recover from injury and chronic use can cause anxiety and panic attacks.  Randy Gregory suffered from anxiety and had panic attacks so smoking pot probably wasn't a good remedy.  Apparently there is a possibility of addiction, from the CBS article:

Hainline says marijuana addiction -- not talked about as much as dependency to alcohol or harder drugs -- is absolutely real.

"The marijuana that we knew 30 years ago [does not compare] to what we know now," he said.

There seems to be a lot of downside so if I was a D1 athlete I would probably just say no.  On the other hand, it would probably help take the sting off of losing a game, and the next loss.  Heck, maybe smoking pot regularly would lessen the disappointment of a losing season.

1 minute ago, 4skers89 said:

I believe the graphic is saying it decreases ability to recover from injury and chronic use can cause anxiety and panic attacks.  Randy Gregory suffered from anxiety and had panic attacks so smoking pot probably wasn't a good remedy.  Apparently there is a possibility of addiction, from the CBS article:

There seems to be a lot of downside so if I was a D1 athlete I would probably just say no.  On the other hand, it would probably help take the sting off of losing a game, and the next loss.  Heck, maybe smoking pot regularly would lessen the disappointment of a losing season.

Ive read a couple other studies that indicate it may help with recovery but they state more research is needed. It’s fairly conclusive that it does aid sleep, so in that aspect it seems it could help recovery. Most everything I’ve read indicates it does not aid athletic performance but inexplicably many athletes believe it does. Anecdotally, it seems to me that it causes a certain level of lethargy and ambivalence. Maybe helpful for forgetting a poor performance and causing you to not care but not very good for preventing a repeat poor performance.

As Moiraine said, there are studies that show a possible benefit for concussion symptoms but they also say more research is needed. Problem is these guys that are getting caught don’t seem to be smoking it for concussions or recovery or sleep but rather like most people their age, simply for social reasons and to get high. Randy Gregory is an extreme example but I think we can all see that its probably not a good thing and can be addictive to a detriment for some personalities.

26 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I'm guessing they can smoke when they're not on the job, but it depends on whether their employers test them for marijuana. Whether they're allowed to do it on the job is irrelevant since the players aren't smoking during games.

He doesn't say he was smoking while trying to gain a first down so you're technically correct.  The NCAA document doesn't say how long pain relief lasts, only that skill impairment can remain for 24-36 hours after use so I wouldn't want my airline pilot smoking weed because his knees ache.

Former Colorado State running back Treyous Jerrells told The Coloradoantwo years ago that he couldn't play without smoking. Jerrells was fighting pain from a surgically repaired knee.

"I practiced under the influence," he told the newspaper. "I played games under the influence. This is my medicine. I've seen players at CSU pop five, 10 ibuprofens before practice. Daily. You think that's good? Over the course of two, three years, that's eating your liver away. I'm not ashamed of what I did."