2019 Pundit Predictions

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

OK, so good rundown there. Thanks for that.

Does that look very dissimilar to Nebraska this year?  I don't really think so. Like Wiscy, we have more questions than answers up and down the roster. Like Wiscy, we have a dynamic player on Offense (2AM / Taylor) and questions on the O Line.

The big difference I see between the two teams is the consistency of the Wiscy program compared to ours. Frost may have a dynamic touch, but he's a year into establishing his system and guys are still learning.

I see a couple of differences - Wisconsin's offensive style needs the defense to be very good. They'll put up points because people can't tackle Taylor, but they're not designed to win shootouts. Our offense is much better equipped to handle playing without a great defense.

Also between the dynamic offensive players I would take a QB as the dynamic player over an RB any day. If your best offensive player can take over in both the running and passing games that's huge. Taylor is phenomenal, but some teams can limit the running game and that's the only area Taylor can make a real impact. I'm sure it's not a super popular view on this board, but even if you grant that Taylor is currently a better player than Martinez, I'd take Martinez because he's an excellent QB and they just have more value.

Edit for clarification: the unpopular view is that Taylor is better than Martinez currently. I'm sure taking Martinez over Taylor is not unpopular.

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

The year 2 jump at UCF gets mentioned a lot but it’s not the only factor.

The problem with the UCF mentions is there are so many pundits (not prognosticators) who cover 4000 topics at a micron deep who don’t know any other connection. The kind of people who couldn’t name 3 players, but they can name drop UCF.

7 minutes ago, brophog said:

The problem with the UCF mentions is there are so many pundits (not prognosticators) who cover 4000 topics at a micron deep who don’t know any other connection. The kind of people who couldn’t name 3 players, but they can name drop UCF.

Ya. It’s an easy surface level thing to see. 

Geez Gerry, tell us how you really feel: https://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/gerry-dinardo-thinks-nebraska-is-overrated-but-it-s-only/article_ac59a85c-8a7f-575b-a867-16ff54454662.html

I actually think this is a pretty good interpretation of where things are at until we see this team on the field. However, he mentions we need to wait until Scott has top 20 talent on the team, but I think our 4 year recruiting average is right at 20. So, by his logic there we should be ready to compete now.

3 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Geez Gerry, tell us how you really feel: https://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/gerry-dinardo-thinks-nebraska-is-overrated-but-it-s-only/article_ac59a85c-8a7f-575b-a867-16ff54454662.html

I actually think this is a pretty good interpretation of where things are at until we see this team on the field. However, he mentions we need to wait until Scott has top 20 talent on the team, but I think our 4 year recruiting average is right at 20. So, by his logic there we should be ready to compete now.

Ha. I was just thinking the same thing, but hard to argue with DiNardo. He essentially predicted our collapse in MR’s last season. This is why we need to lay off the Kool-aid and be very happy with 8 wins. Anything more than that makes HCSF a COTY contender IMO. The future is bright. 

• Plus1 2

14 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

There aren’t many players left from those Mike Riley classes, no matter where they were ranked. I think 2/3 of the roster is made of Frost recruits. I think Frost is doing a very good job of infusing more talent in the program, but that talent will need another year to develop, especially on the lines and LB. 

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Ha. I was just thinking the same thing, but hard to argue with DiNardo. He essentially predicted our collapse in MR’s last season. 

He did not use anything near that strong of language. And to be fair, it’s not really his job to do so. He has to walk the line between opinion and generating excitement. He can’t say he thinks Riley is fires game 3, even if he actually thinks that.

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/nebraska-picked-third-in-big-ten-west-division-by-conference/article_b1f8ade1-5d42-53f0-a2fc-cd4916434e15.html

The point everyone really should pay attention to in regards to this year’s comments is when he says he hasn’t really looked at the teams yet. In general, I think he’s one of the more inciteful of his type, but that’s after he does his camp tour. These comments aren’t ready for print.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, brophog said:

He did not use anything near that strong of language. And to be fair, it’s not really his job to do so. He has to walk the line between opinion and generating excitement. He can’t say he thinks Riley is fires game 3, even if he actually thinks that.

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/nebraska-picked-third-in-big-ten-west-division-by-conference/article_b1f8ade1-5d42-53f0-a2fc-cd4916434e15.html

The point everyone really should pay attention to in regards to this year’s comments is when he says he hasn’t really looked at the teams yet. In general, I think he’s one of the more inciteful of his type, but that’s after he does his camp tour. These comments aren’t ready for print.

What strong language?  IIRC he stated a successful season for NU  would be to make a bowl game. This is in year 3 of a coaches tenure and MR finally having his QB in T.Lee. That’s was pretty damning. I’m not saying he came out and predicted his firing. 

12 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

I’m not saying he came out and predicted his firing. 

Given what Riley’s collapse was, I certainly read it somewhat similar to that. To me, his comments on Riley entering 2017 given what 2016 was in terms of performance is not prescient . If it was, the things set in motion after Northern Illinois, when everything is really still there to play for, never would have happened. 

14 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

What strong language?  IIRC he stated a successful season for NU  would be to make a bowl game. This is in year 3 of a coaches tenure and MR finally having his QB in T.Lee. That’s was pretty damning. I’m not saying he came out and predicted his firing. 

He said that in year 2. Year 3 he said it was the best Nebraska practice he had seen, either staff. He was way off both years.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

59 minutes ago, brophog said:

Given what Riley’s collapse was, I certainly read it somewhat similar to that. To me, his comments on Riley entering 2017 given what 2016 was in terms of performance is not prescient . If it was, the things set in motion after Northern Illinois, when everything is really still there to play for, never would have happened. 

Yep.  I was off on my MR seasons.  I guess It's my brain trying to forget them.  

1 minute ago, Decoy73 said:

You are correct.  My bad.  In any case, I hope he's wrong about us being "overrated".  

The way some of these accolades are coming out, picking us in the playoff, and top 10 and things like that, we most probably are.  At the very least, no one has enough information at this point to being picking that stuff.

• Plus1 2