2019 Pundit Predictions

11 hours ago, brophog said:

The way some of these accolades are coming out, picking us in the playoff, and top 10 and things like that, we most probably are.  At the very least, no one has enough information at this point to being picking that stuff.

Of course they don't have enough information.   It's only educated, and some non educated, guesses for preseason predictions/polls/etc. 

We aren't in the locker room, we are just fans and can dream big all we want. It's about having fun and I am going to drink all the damn kool aid while it's available.   You never know if it will be available again.

15 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

This is why we need to lay off the Kool-aid and be very happy with 8 wins. Anything more than that makes HCSF a COTY contender IMO. The future is bright. 

I disagree, an 8-4 record would be a disappointment to me.
Just curious; which four losses would be acceptable to you?

17 hours ago, brophog said:

He did not use anything near that strong of language. And to be fair, it’s not really his job to do so. He has to walk the line between opinion and generating excitement. He can’t say he thinks Riley is fires game 3, even if he actually thinks that.

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/nebraska-picked-third-in-big-ten-west-division-by-conference/article_b1f8ade1-5d42-53f0-a2fc-cd4916434e15.html

The point everyone really should pay attention to in regards to this year’s comments is when he says he hasn’t really looked at the teams yet. In general, I think he’s one of the more inciteful of his type, but that’s after he does his camp tour. These comments aren’t ready for print.

Did you mean "insightful"? Because "inciteful" works but is quite a bit different.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Apsu said:

No loss is acceptable, but I can get over a loss to any non-division foe easier than i can stomach another one at the hands of Wisconsin , NW or Iowa. I’m just trying to temper my expectations. I picked 8-4 last season and we all know how that turned out.  I strongly feel that 9 or more wins in year 2 in the B1G would be a tremendous accomplishment given how low we’ve been for so long.  

3 hours ago, Apsu said:

Yes and no with this comment.

Coming off back to back 4-8 seasons I would be ecstatic for 8 wins. Losses happen, it may be at Purdue or a home game to Northwestern, OSU, and Wiscy or Iowa but we should see more improvement in year 3 in the win column. I would love to be 8-4 as that means we are learning how to win games again but just not quite over the hump. It is year 2 and arguably you could make a case that it is like year 1 for this season. I love the excitement for the program but until I see the results we will probably be more of an 8 win team this year. I am happy with that. 

On the other hand, we have a favorable schedule but that hasn't meant much the last few years. Outside of 2018, 2015-2017 were all favorable schedules in my mind and we did nothing with those years besides winning a bowl game and land coach Frost. People are hungry for results, but I am willing to wait it out and see team improvement like the last 7 games of 2018.

A trip to Indy is probably not going to happen yet, I would say our ceiling is definitely an NY6 bowl game and our floor in my mind is 7-5. A disappointing season to me is 6-6 or worse this year. It is prove it time this year. Lastly, my fandom wants me to say we do better than we actually do, so this year anywhere between 7-5 to 10-2 would be awesome for me. Especially coming off of back to back 4-8 seasons. 

• Plus1 1
41 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

No loss is acceptable, but I can get over a loss to any non-division foe easier than i can stomach another one at the hands of Wisconsin , NW or Iowa. I’m just trying to temper my expectations. I picked 8-4 last season and we all know how that turned out.  I strongly feel that 9 or more wins in year 2 in the B1G would be a tremendous accomplishment given how low we’ve been for so long.  

Picking games ain’t the same as putting your hand on the hot stove, though. Sometimes it’s because of the failures that a team finds success. If we’d won some of those close games last year, I don’t know if we would be as hungry. But losing so many close games, losing to Iowa like that, it just made everyone extremely motivated. At this point, I just hope they don’t kill each other before Aug 31. 

• Plus1 1

I feel like some people are looking at this the wrong way, but I don’t blame them because being disappointed again would suck. 

Ya, we’ve had 3 losing seasons in the past 4, but it’s not like we’re a losing program that has never won much and is trying to figure it out for the first time. And we have 9 seasons in a row with the best recruiting class in our division. In 6 out of those 9 seasons we won 9 games. I say we’re still more used to winning than not and we just need to snap back to normal. 

Losing is easier than winning, but I still think it would be more surprising to have a losing season this year than one where we win 8+ games. 

• Plus1 1
17 hours ago, HuskermanMike said:

Yes and no with this comment.

Coming off back to back 4-8 seasons I would be ecstatic for 8 wins. 

We were 4-8 last year but that was with everything going wrong.  I think with better breaks we win 6-9 games.  That changes expectations of this year. IMO I look at last years team more like a 6 win team and I think 8 wins is a reasonable expectation unless we have Murphy’s law happen again.

On 8/3/2019 at 1:29 PM, HuskermanMike said:

A trip to Indy is probably not going to happen yet

Every Big Ten West team is saying that. Nebraska and Iowa got voted number 1 almost entirely on the strength at QB. Nobody is ready to make a run to Indy, but somebody makes that trip, anyhow.

In many, many ways this team’s predictive finish is a year premature, but this is where the opportunity lies.

• Plus1 1