challenge for trump supporters

2 minutes ago, commando said:

try saying that you disagree with anything trump does in a public place in nebraska.    you will have a confrontation.  the trumpers get angry if you disagree with anything trump does.   you can support him 99%....but that 1% makes you a rino worth shaming.

I made a comment one time in a group of friends that I didn't like Trump.  It wasn't even that major of a comment.  Most just brushed it off...but.... Another friend that usually isn't with us, actually went home and it bothered him so much that he started texting me accusing me of being a liberal democrat and Hillary lover.

Yeah....I'm not as good of friends with him anymore.

Well speaking of hypocrisy (isn't that the secondary subject in this thread)  Guess who owns a bunch of rat infested apartments in Baltimore???........................................................................................... Jared Kushner  ( I didn't want to shout it out too loud.  Some Trump supporter might be offended by the facts)

https://www.yahoo.com/news/jared-kushner-owns-baltimore-apartments-091129985.html

Donald Trump characterised Elijah Cummings’ Baltimore-based congressional district as a “rodent infested mess” where “no human” would want to live, in a now-viral tweetstorm on Saturday.

His criticism rang with a particular irony in Baltimore County, where the president’s son-in-law Jared Kushner owns more than a dozen apartment complexes that have been cited with hundreds of code violations and, critics say, provide sub-standard housing to lower income tenants.

In an interview on Saturday, Baltimore County Executive John Olszewski Jr condemned Mr Trump’s comments as “an attack on basic decency”.

“It is certainly ironic that the president’s own son-in-law was complicit in contributing to some of the neglect that the president purports to be so concerned about,” Mr Olszewski, a Democrat, added.

Kushner Companies, which started operating in Maryland in 2013, has owned almost 9,000 rental units across 17 complexes, many of them in Baltimore County, the Baltimore Sun reported earlier this year.

The properties generate at least $90m (£72m) in revenue annually. Mr Kushner stepped down as CEO of the company in 2017, when he became a senior White House advisor.

A company spokesperson did not address questions on Sunday about whether the group agreed with Mr Trump’s characterisation of the area, but wrote: “Kushner Companies is proud to own thousands of apartments in the Baltimore area.”

In 2017, Baltimore County officials revealed that apartments owned by Kushner Cos were responsible for more than 200 code violations, all accrued in the span of the calendar year.

Repairs were made only after the county threatened fines, local officials said, and even after warnings, violations on nine properties were not addressed, resulting in monetary sanctions.

In an investigation by the New York Times and Pro Publica published earlier that year, tenants of Kushner Cos properties reported mouse infestations, mold problems and maggots.

A private investigator who looked into Mr Kusher’s property management company, Westminster Management, described them as “slumlords”.

This sounds like a mob boss mentality.   Kushner (and Trump) is no George Bailey.  More like Mr Potter.

She added that she found Mr Trump’s attacks ironic given the legacy of Mr Kushner’s properties in the district.

“Basically, [Mr Kushner] has been creating a race to the bottom in terms of poorly maintained properties,” she said. “He’s been very, very deeply implicated.

In the past two years, Kushner Cos and its affiliated entities have been sued multiple times by Baltimore-area residents who allege that the company has charged them excessive fees and used the threat of eviction to pressure them into paying up.

From 2013 to 2017, corporate entities associated with Kushner Cos’ apartments requested the civil arrest of 105 former tenants – the highest number among all property managers in Maryland during that period, the Baltimore Sun reported.

“It’s been our recent experience that working families have been preyed on at the benefit of Mr Kushner and his company,” Mr Olszewski said.

A group of tenants recently attempted to file a class-action lawsuit alleging unlawful rental practices by the company. But their request was denied by a Baltimore Circuit Court judge.

31 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I would as well.

You're the type of tepid Trump supporter I would be interested in learning more about, then. It's OK to politically disagree with people. It's a normal part of politics and we can learn and grow from each other's insights.

But we can't give any quarter to the people that want to propel bigots and racists and hatred in our politics. We have to band together to put a boot on the throat of all that ugliness.

2 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

But we can't give any quarter to the people that want to propel bigots and racists and hatred in our politics.

Especially when they're voting for bigots and racists and hatred because the alternative candidate has been demonized by... wait for it... racists and bigots and hatred.

Weird how that works!

• Plus1 1
27 minutes ago, commando said:

try saying that you disagree with anything trump does in a public place in nebraska.    you will have a confrontation.  the trumpers get angry if you disagree with anything trump does.   you can support him 99%....but that 1% makes you a rino worth shaming.

and it didn't always have to be a confrontion to talk about politics.  fox and friends and rush have done a great job of stirring up the anger.

Like I said, I'm pushing 50 years of existence on this earth, including in Nebraska, and I've had literally 0 political confrontations in my lifetime.

• Thanks 1

The reason I think this challenge is legit is because the question for 2020 isn't about policy -- if it ever was -- it's who are we? 

Trump supporters seem to fall into two camps: those who embrace him for everything he says, because it's about goddamn time. And those who claim they wish he wouldn't say those things, but they'll vote for him anyway. Either way, it means we are a petty, vindictive, and largely ignorant country drifting away from the ideals we pretend to cherish. 

So when you imagine yourself as Donald Trump trying to get away with that cheap insulting swagger in your real American life, it might ever-so-possibly help you realize why he's considered a clown outside of those Nuremberg rallies he holds.

I mean Jesus.....who are we?

The challenge I gave friends who were parents: what would you do if your 12 year old acted like Donald Trump? Even my Republican friends admitted they'd confiscate the phone and/or ground any son or daughter who acted out that way.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

If people don't want to try the "Trump Challenge," try disseminating this kind of stuff at work instead:

If that isn't a sign that this admin is a collection of  alt right hoodlums, noting is.   My Dad was anti Trump during the primaries.  To my surprise he became very much pro-trump.  But what does he watch all day as a retired person - Fox.  Breitbart is Fox on steroids.  I occasionally get emls from him with article from sites like Breitbart.

GOP blasts the Dems for 'Identity Politics".  However they with Trump have upped the scale.  They have become the 'white man's savior as we watch Trump cut down anyone, any group that is outside his narrow thinking of what he thinks America is.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, TheSker said:

That could be true.  They are designed for ratings and entertainment.

I don't watch or.listen to either of them.

are they designed for rating and entertainment?  or maybe something a bit more sinister?   the angst they stir up seems to be by design rather than an accident of "entertainment"

• Plus1 1