Best Husker Team to Not Win a National Title Game 2: 1999 Nebraska vs. 1996 Nebraska

Best Husker Team to Not Win the National Title Game 2  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Pick the Winner

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/05/2019 at 04:59 AM

2 hours ago, Apsu said:

At the time of early games, yes. But not the final poll before the bowl games. No way was Va Tech the #2 in the country, but ESPiN relentlessly promoted them. Michael Vick was a media darling.

Don't know what to tell you friend, VT and FSU were the only two undefeated teams in a year of the BCS. There's no other scenario that would have happened, regardless of your allegation about ESPN.

25 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Don't know what to tell you friend, VT and FSU were the only two undefeated teams in a year of the BCS. There's no other scenario that would have happened, regardless of your allegation about ESPN.

Undefeated is overrated, when you have not defeated anyone worthwhile.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Apsu said:

At the time of early games, yes. But not the final poll before the bowl games. No way was Va Tech the #2 in the country, but ESPiN relentlessly promoted them. Michael Vick was a media darling.

ESPN liked Vick, but ESPN/ABC/Disney would have much rather had Florida State vs. Nebraska. It would have been the two best teams of the 1990s playing in the final national title game of the decade. It also would have been the first time the two powers had played each other in six years.

12 hours ago, Moiraine said:

The polls have never retroactively corrected things by going back and undoing ranking bumps based on teams becoming unranked.

Probably one of the biggest faults of popularity polling.

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, r06ue1 said:

Just imagine if the '99 team had won the natty, then we would have never heard the names Callahan or Riley, smooth transition from Solich to Frost.  

We don't get Frost unless things pan out the way they have.  If Solich won the natty in '99 maybe he gets his s#!t together enough that he is still our coach today, meaning Frost is still at UCF right now.  Or he takes one of the several big jobs available after 2017.

• Fire 1

41 minutes ago, Redux said:

We don't get Frost unless things pan out the way they have.  If Solich won the natty in '99 maybe he gets his s#!t together enough that he is still our coach today, meaning Frost is still at UCF right now.  Or he takes one of the several big jobs available after 2017.

I agree. I assume the replacement for Solich would be someone who utilizes an option system, because if Solich was still here that would mean we were still successful with that system and wouldn’t want to switch to a frost style. 

I think it all worked out how it needed to be where we are 

9 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I agree. I assume the replacement for Solich would be someone who utilizes an option system, because if Solich was still here that would mean we were still successful with that system and wouldn’t want to switch to a frost style. 

I think it all worked out how it needed to be where we are 

Or Solich hires Frost as an assistant coach in the early 2000’s, Frost eventually takes over as OC, and then is groomed for the head coaching job at NU around 2015.  I know Solich is still coaching at Ohio, but coaching at NU is a lot more stressful and would have been ready to retire after 12-15 years on the job.

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Or Solich hires Frost as an assistant coach in the early 2000’s, Frost eventually takes over as OC, and then is groomed for the head coaching job at NU around 2015.  I know Solich is still coaching at Ohio, but coaching at NU is a lot more stressful and would have been ready to retire after 12-15 years on the job.

But what makes Frost such a great coach is the many coaches he's worked with. That wouldn't be the same in this hypothetical. Not like it matters.

2 hours ago, r06ue1 said:

Just imagine if the '99 team had won the natty, then we would have never heard the names Callahan or Riley, smooth transition from Solich to Frost.  

The biggest knock against Solich was his inability to recruit.

1999 was still mostly an Osborne team.

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, Redux said:

There's obviously no way of saying what would've/could've happened, but Solich is 74. In a scenario where he won a natty and didn't get fired, I could see him bringing Frost in as OC maybe back in 2011-12 or something and then passing over the reigns after 20 years successfully leading his alma mater. 

3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Or Solich hires Frost as an assistant coach in the early 2000’s, Frost eventually takes over as OC, and then is groomed for the head coaching job at NU around 2015. 

Someone else mentioned it, but this would be a bad scenario. First of all Frost's first actual coaching job (not being a GA) was in 2007. Second, Frost's time at Oregon and Northern Iowa are pretty impactful on his resume and approach. I don't know that he becomes an innovative offensive genius being a position coach then OC at a school probably still holding onto the tradition of the "same" offense for the last 40 years.

• Plus1 1