Best Husker Team to Not Win a National Title Game 2: 1999 Nebraska vs. 1996 Nebraska

Best Husker Team to Not Win the National Title Game 2  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Pick the Winner

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/05/2019 at 04:59 AM

7 hours ago, r06ue1 said:

Just imagine if the '99 team had won the natty, then we would have never heard the names Callahan or Riley, smooth transition from Solich to Frost.  

Phillip Fulmer, Lloyd Carr, and Mack Brown all say hi.  I don't think winning the NC in 99' would have bought him a lot of time.  I'm guessing it buys him 2 years tops.  If we'd have won the NC in 01' then he more than likely gets afforded more time. 

3 hours ago, Landlord said:

There's obviously no way of saying what would've/could've happened, but Solich is 74. In a scenario where he won a natty and didn't get fired, I could see him bringing Frost in as OC maybe back in 2011-12 or something and then passing over the reigns after 20 years successfully leading his alma 

Or maybe he doesn't get uber pressured by his old teammates and coaches to come fix a broken machine because it never broke in the first place and he ends up somewhere else anyways.

I love when people feel like they need to prove there is no way to prove a hypothetical.

22 hours ago, Redux said:

We don't get Frost unless things pan out the way they have.  If Solich won the natty in '99 maybe he gets his s#!t together enough that he is still our coach today, meaning Frost is still at UCF right now.  Or he takes one of the several big jobs available after 2017.

Or, Frost never leaves Nebraska in the first place, never goes and learns from Chip Kelly and possibly doesn't become the coach he is today.  So many variables, so hard to predict what could have been, just would have been nice to not have seen Callahan and Riley years.  

17 hours ago, Redux said:

Or maybe he doesn't get uber pressured by his old teammates and coaches to come fix a broken machine because it never broke in the first place and he ends up somewhere else anyways.

I love when people feel like they need to prove there is no way to prove a hypothetical.

Yeah, that's another way it could've gone.

You're the one that expressed your first hypothetical as what would happen instead of what could've :dunno I only said that because I had another alternative idea of what could've happened but you left no room for conversation and I was trying to make sure it didn't come across like I was disagreeing with you.

2 hours ago, Landlord said:

Yeah, that's another way it could've gone.

You're the one that expressed your first hypothetical as what would happen instead of what could've :dunno I only said that because I had another alternative idea of what could've happened but you left no room for conversation and I was trying to make sure it didn't come across like I was disagreeing with you.

For serious, have you ever seen an opportunity to not be contradictory and not taken it?

• Thanks 3

"Here's what would have happened"

"I know there's no way for us to know for sure but here's another way I could have maybe seen it going"

"lol i love when people feel like they need to clarify that you can't prove a hypothetical"

"I was only saying that because I didn't want to seem argumentative while we're harmlessly exploring different ideas about 'what if'"

"dude can you ever not be so contrarian?"

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 12:18 PM, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

I was at that loss in 99. Refs were terrible. Idk who's fault it was but we had major issues getting the plays in. Seemed like every play we were on the verge of delay of game on offense. Home fans were absolutely horrible to top it off. That defense was so crazy to watch though. 

Refs missed an obvious clip right at the point of attack on Texas's game-winning drive. If the bastards call that we likely win the game. Also remember Buckhalter stupidly trying to stretch the ball towards to the goalline and fumbling when we would have otherwise been 1st and goal at the 1. That team should have played for all the marbles and I think they'd have won.