Are we or aren’t we Rivals

Is Nebraska and Iowa a rivalry  

119 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, cornhuskers4ever said:

Iowa feels like a forced rivalry.  Kind of like Colorado. 

To me Oklahoma was THE rivalry before the Big 12 ruined a good thing. 

Yep.  Bring OU into the Big 10 and let the good times roll (also stiffer competition with those good times as the by product)

• Plus1 1

I hope that in 5 years - we will be the target for everyone in the conference.  Not just a rival but the one they are aiming at to knock us down a notch.  Old sour face Iowa coach won't be there forever, I don't think Iowa can sustain their level of what they call success.  Yes, they have had our # while our admin was working to take down the program a notch wt Mike Riley but in the words of the revivalist "I SEE A NEW DAY ARISING. IT IS JUST ABOUT HERE. WHEN ALL THINGS WILL BE MADE RIGHT'.   :restore2

DAY BY DAY, WE GET BETTER AND BETTER, UNTIL WE CAN'T BE BEAT, WON'T BE BEAT

Currently, Iowa is a rival.  Just like Colorado was a rivalry in the late 80s to mid 90s.  You may think Colorado was a forced rivalry, but that was a rivalry built on the 2 teams and fan bases hating each other, and the conference coming down to those games games each year.

There is nothing wrong with having a similar rivalry with Iowa and their fan base.

• Plus1 7
  • Thanks 2

I'm sorry but most of us hate Iowa. 

To me its a rival, not because of the current situation but embracing the longevity that it will be. It doesn't have to stay on Black Friday. Nebraska isn't changing conferences again so think about the schools you absolutely want to piss pound.

That's Iowa, and Wisconsin in my opinion. I can't freaking stand either of these two schools. Minnesota, Purdue and the rest of the west division is so irrelevant to me. Kansas was more relevant to me.

Since 2000 (Only current Power 5 + Notre Dame teams included =65)

Wins

Nebraska is 21st with 154

Iowa is 24th with 151

Conference Titles

Nebraska has 0

Iowa has 2

BCS Bowls / New Years 6 Bowls (non playoff games or championship games)

Nebraska has 0

Iowa has 3

(EDIT) National Championship Appearances

Nebraska 1 (2001 season)

Iowa 0

Neither has a Playoff appearance.

Nebraska vs Iowa (Since 2000) (average score Neb 22 Iowa 28)

2000 - Nebraska 42 Iowa 13

2011 - Nebraska 20 Iowa 7

2012 - Nebraska 13 Iowa 7

2013 - Iowa 38 Nebraska 17

2014 - Nebraska 37 Iowa 34 (OT)

2015 - Iowa 28 Nebraska 20

2016 - Iowa 40 Nebraska 10

2017 - Iowa 56 Nebraska 14

2018 - Iowa 31 Nebraska 28

• Plus1 3

I don't get the thought of NU fans not "wanting" a rivalry with Iowa.  "Rivalry games" are fun games for the team and fans to get excited about and mean a little more.  If you want to have the opinion of "NU doesn't have a true rival" then do you get more excited for any games on the schedule, or do you look forward to certain games on the schedule?  I know all the games are important, but more often than not, the Big Ten West is going to come down to games against Iowa and Wisconsin.  When you add the hatred/dislike between fan bases and the results of the past few years, I don't think there is anything wrong with NU fans embracing a rivalry with Iowa.

I get sick of NU fans having the opinion that "Iowa isn't worth having a rivalry with".  I get it, Iowa hasn't done much on the national stage, but It's been a long time since Nebraska has either (as shown by Scratchtown's post).  I know we all want NU to get back to national prominence, but let's start with getting back to prominence within our own division.  

• Plus1 3
23 minutes ago, Scratchtown said:

Since 2000 (Only current Power 5 + Notre Dame teams included =65)

BCS Bowls / New Years 6 Bowls (non playoff games)

Nebraska has 0

Iowa has 3

Neither has a NC appearance or playoff appearance, obviously

I'm sure many of us have erased it from memory because it was a blood bath, but Nebraska did play Miami in the Rose Bowl/BCS National Title game in January of 2002.

But, I agree with your overall point. 

1 minute ago, Hans Gruber said:

I'm sure many of us have erased it from memory because it was a blood bath, but Nebraska did play Miami in the Rose Bowl/BCS National Title game in January of 2002.

But, I agree with your overall point. 

My bad! I had it listed in my spreadsheet I keep track of, not sure why I forgot to list that! 

Just now, Scratchtown said:

My bad! I had it listed in my spreadsheet I keep track of, not sure why I forgot to list that! 

It happens. It was almost 20 years ago now, and like I said, I try not to think about that game much. As a high school kid, I was convinced Nebraska would win. Whoops.

13 minutes ago, Hans Gruber said:

It happens. It was almost 20 years ago now, and like I said, I try not to think about that game much. As a high school kid, I was convinced Nebraska would win. Whoops.

I was in 7th grade and totally thought Nebraska was going to win. Blind optimism of being a kid. Now I'm overly cautious agaisnt Illinois every year.

• Plus1 2