Are we or aren’t we Rivals

Is Nebraska and Iowa a rivalry  

119 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, cornhuskers4ever said:

Iowa feels like a forced rivalry.  Kind of like Colorado. 

To me Oklahoma was THE rivalry before the Big 12 ruined a good thing. 

It's easy to blame the Big XII, but Oklahoma was glad to forsake our rivalry and keep theirs with Texas, so you might be over-romanticizing that relationship just a tad. 

I'm also of the opinion that people are trying to force Iowa not to be a rival moreso than the other way around. Sure there's the stupid trophy nonsense, but we have one of those with Wisconsin as well and a lot of people seem to think Wisconsin is now our main rival, so the trophy can't be the reason for the alleged 'forced' nature of the thing.

I couldn't care any less if individual joe schmo does or doesn't think it's a rivalry. But what's so goofy is Nebraska fan's collective insistence that it isn't and it can't be. Are we so obsessed with being the nicest fanbase that we're afraid to embrace petty hate? :lol: Whether or not it's a rivalry depends on your definition of the word. Some people think rivalries are built on equal competitiveness. Some think they're built on long history. Some think they're built on pure unadulterated hate. None of those answers are any more right or wrong than the others. For every NU/OU rivalry there's a Clemson/SCAR rivalry, and for every Bama/Auburn there's an Oklahoma/Oklahoma State. 

It's clear that our fanbases have a unique sort of disdain for each other, and it's clear that they've kicked our a$$ over the last handful of years and we're especially pissed about it because we think we're better than them. Seems like if you took the same scenario, applied it to teams playing for another extra decade or two and change the names, everyone would of course consider it a rivalry. So it is a rivalry right now? I don't know, I don't care, I just want to f#&%ing beat Iowa.

Iowa is even less of a rival than Colorado was. The difference between them is that Iowa has never been as good as early 90s Colorado, and Iowa's fans aren't as s#!tty as Colorado's.

• Plus1 4
17 minutes ago, theknife said:

It feels like none of you have met Iowa Fans, lol. 

It doesn't sound like you experienced CU fans in Boulder back in the day. Tire stabbing, car keying,  even gold paint being poured on cars.

I don't see Iowa fans doing that sort of thing.  I had corn cobs thrown at me in Columbia also.

I'm going to Boulder in a few weeks but am driving my Colorado license plated car with all of my traveling Nebraska friends in it just in case.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Landlord said:

What's the worst thing that anyone in this thread has had happen to them specifically by Colorado fans? All the urban legend stories always seem to be at least one degree of separation away from the people telling them.

I was in Denver one year when Nebraska was playing CU.  We found the local Husker watch site.  It was in a large packed bar of nothing but CU fans.  Clear in the back was a room full of Huskers.

We absolutely kicked their a$$ that day.  Frazier went off and had a great game.  When I left and started driving down the street, they had done something to my car that made smoke roll out from around the wheels.  Still don't know exactly what.  I had to pull into a garage and have them check over everything.  

I have personally seen cars of friends who had been vandalized.  

38 minutes ago, runningblind said:

It doesn't sound like you experienced CU fans in Boulder back in the day. Tire stabbing, car keying,  even gold paint being poured on cars.

I don't see Iowa fans doing that sort of thing.  I had corn cobs thrown at me in Columbia also.

I'm going to Boulder in a few weeks but am driving my Colorado license plated car with all of my traveling Nebraska friends in it just in case.

10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I lived in Iowa for 15 years.  Iowa fans are no where close to CU fans.

Reference @runningblind 's post.

4 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

They're mostly just insufferable douchebags

I don't feel like assault and property damage are the only criteria for a rival. For example, insufferable douchebags at the office you constantly talk crap with back and forth meet that same definition in my mind. 

Who would everyone rather beat this year. Colorado or Iowa?

I am not old enough to know or appreciate the Oklahoma rivalry of the 70s. But is it possible that with Oklahoma we were the "Colorado" to them? They cherished the Texas rivalry over ours. They typically always beat us for a good stretch. Texas joined our conference in the mid 90s. Were we desperate to expand? Because if we were not desperate why did we allow Texas to change all the rules and why did Oklahoma and Nebraska allow the conference to kill that "rivalry"? To me if Oklahoma and Nebraska valued the rivalry equally and both of them were stomping their feet. I see no reason why the conference would not accomodate those schools. We were the premier inter conference game and it got killed. Do you think the big 10 would ever take away michigan ohio state? 

3 minutes ago, theknife said:

I don't feel like assault and property damage are the only criteria for a rival. For example, insufferable douchebags at the office you constantly talk crap with back and forth meet that same definition in my mind.

Oh, I agree....I feel like both schools are somewhat of a rival.

However, there is a big difference between these two groups.  When you have an insufferable douchebag, you can still have fun giving each other crap back and forth.  When that douchebag vandalizes your car or assaults you.......funs over.  

41 minutes ago, Landlord said:

What's the worst thing that anyone in this thread has had happen to them specifically by Colorado fans? All the urban legend stories always seem to be at least one degree of separation away from the people telling them.

I am a new resident in Colorado.  In my line of work, we had the local fire department send all of their fire fighters to our facility for walk-throughs.  We were proudly wearing our Husker gear during a few of these, and had some fun conversations, especially with some of the Buffalo fans.  They openly admitted that there is a fair share of very bad fans in their fanbase.  They told me if I wanted to go to the game this year in Boulder, they would accompany me, and to not attempt to go by myself, or with just other Husker fans.  They basically guaranteed that something bad would happen if I did.