Are we or aren’t we Rivals

Is Nebraska and Iowa a rivalry  

119 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Landlord said:

It's easy to blame the Big XII, but Oklahoma was glad to forsake our rivalry and keep theirs with Texas, so you might be over-romanticizing that relationship just a tad. 

This is true for the Athletic Administration, but Oklahoma fans miss our rivalry. You're a regular in /r/CFB, so you know that. They love their Texas rivalry, but they miss us. A lot.

2 hours ago, Landlord said:

It's easy to blame the Big XII, but Oklahoma was glad to forsake our rivalry and keep theirs with Texas, so you might be over-romanticizing that relationship just a tad. 

Not sure what you mean by that. Since they were both in the South division there was no risk of them not playing Texas each year anyway.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

That was done that way specifically because they demanded they keep their yearly rivalry with Texas and didn't care about playing us.

Is this some kind of well-known or documented thing? It's relatively obvious that upon the formation of the Big 12, the divisions were marked geographically, not according to some historical wishes based on the OU/Texas rivalry.

The thing that makes a rivalry is to have high stakes. Winner gets something more than just a lame a$$ trophy. This year, that looks like it could happen. Winner to Indy! Getting to play for a conference title is very noteworthy. If we have a great year and are primed for Indy and get knocked out by a FG against Iowa, the Hawks-Husker series will increase in intensity.

I am ready to say they are a rival just because that would be at least one team that I care about in the BIG. Right now, I look at Wisky, and they are kind of a rival, just because they have run the west and we have not been good. But a one-sided rivalry is like Nebraska-Colorado, where we owned them and they beat us once or twice and thought... rivalry.

Bo was won in 2011 and 2012, lost in 2013, and then won in 2014 before losing his job. It was not much of a rivalry then. Iowa won 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018. Those losses sting, but I blame the move to Mike Riley as much as I give credit to Iowa.

In the BIG, I think you can see clear references toward Big 8/12 schools. Northwestern reminds me of K-State. Purdue reminds me of Baylor. Wisconsin reminds me of Okla State. Iowa reminds me of Colorado. Ohio State and Michigan are like Oklahoma. Penn State and Michigan State are like Texas A&M....

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It was well known at the time.

Eh, maybe. But I doubt that the commission would have drawn up a "Legends/Leaders" sort of a paradigm originally either way. It made sense to draw up the divisions geographically.

Pretty pointless tangent though. The original point Landlord made was well made though: OU fans have the actual "burning hatred rivalry" mentality with Texas for sure, not with us.

6 hours ago, cornhuskers4ever said:

Iowa feels like a forced rivalry.  Kind of like Colorado. 

To me Oklahoma was THE rivalry before the Big 12 ruined a good thing. 

Most OU fans said regular NU team, no rivalry, declared dead.  OU vs. UCLA, OU vs. Houston, OU vs. Tennessee, OU vs. NU (2021/22 schedule), etc etc.... the same level.

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

What's the worst thing that anyone in this thread has had happen to them specifically by Colorado fans? All the urban legend stories always seem to be at least one degree of separation away from the people telling them.

When I was in High School my brother lived in Loveland. We were there for thanksgiving, we lost the black friday game, and the next morning we found our vehicle was covered in eggs. We assume it was the Nebraska plates.

When I went to the Oregon/CU game in 2013, the Colorado fans had only asked us (Oregon) to not win by 50. 

6 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

Iowa and wiscy are the same for me.  Hate losing to either.  Both are were we want to be as a program.  

They remind me of mizzou when pinkel had them competing at a top 25 level.  

I absolutely do not want to be where Iowa is as a program.  That'd be quite disappointing if that was our ceiling.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
8 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

Iowa and wiscy are the same for me.  Hate losing to either.  Both are were we want to be as a program.  

They remind me of mizzou when pinkel had them competing at a top 25 level.  

I agree they aren't where we want to end up, but they still steps up from where NU has been the past few years.  Isn't the first step to go out and start beating Iowa and Wisky on a consistent basis, and then take the next step to national prominence?  

1 minute ago, RedSavage said:

I absolutely do not want to be where Iowa is as a program.  That'd be quite disappointing if that was our ceiling.

I think we have a much higher ceiling but both those programs are very stable and have developed identities.  Both produce a large amount of NFL talent and do a great job of developing players.  

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I agree they aren't where we want to end up, but they still steps up from where NU has been the past few years.  Isn't the first step to go out and start beating Iowa and Wisky on a consistent basis, and then take the next step to national prominence?  

We are the sleeping giant in the west. We have the ability to surpass either of those programs. Yes it starts with beating them on a regular basis.  

The Nebraska and Iowa game doesn't mean anything.  When Nebraska had Oklahoma as a rival, it was because the winner usually became the Big 12 champs and might play for a national championship.  It ruined the year for the loser of that game.  When both teams are relevant - decide the division and play for championships - They could become rivals.  

Iowa/Iowa State is a rival game.  Michigan/Ohio State is a rival game.  Wisconsin/Minnesota is a rival game.  Nebraska really doesn't have any rivals.  With Scott Frost coaching Nebraska to relevance - we just might find a rival in the Big Ten. 

• Plus1 1