Are we or aren’t we Rivals

Is Nebraska and Iowa a rivalry  

119 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

53 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Why don’t we just setup Oklahoma as our thanksgiving game. They will be our premier non con every year? The Florida schools all play each other every year and are not all in the same conference 

Florida-Miami hasn’t been played annually for the past 30 years. But yes there are several match ups like that. Iowa-Iowa State, Georgia-Georgia Tech. 

9 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Florida-Miami hasn’t been played annually for the past 30 years. But yes there are several match ups like that. Iowa-Iowa State, Georgia-Georgia Tech. 

Don’t Florida and Florida state play every year? 

Florida state and miami played every year even when Miami was big east. 

Your right about Miami and Florida, but they have played each other like 75% of the years since like 1938 just since the late 80s did it become sporadic 

2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Don’t Florida and Florida state play every year? 

Florida state and miami played every year even when Miami was big east. 

Your right about Miami and Florida, but they have played each other like 75% of the years since like 1938 just since the late 80s did it become sporadic 

Yep

I subscribe to the theory that a team can have multiple rivals.  And I think a rival is a game that has meaning to both fan bases most years.  Oklahoma, Colorado, Missouri, Kansas St, and even Texas were all our rivals in the Big 12 imo.

In the Big 10, I think rivals are developing with Iowa, Wisconsin, and Ohio St.

8 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

That was done that way specifically because they demanded they keep their yearly rivalry with Texas and didn't care about playing us.

well, fun fact, if you go back and look at when the Big XII was formed Texas dictated much of what happened, Oklahoma was mostly apathetic

Just now, husker98 said:

well, fun fact, if you go back and look at when the Big XII was formed Texas dictated much of what happened, Oklahoma was mostly apathetic

Fun fact....ou  was second fiddle in all of that only slightly. Ou did NOT want yo play us every year and they didn’t care if they threw away our rivalry. They openly stated that Texas is their rival. 

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Fun fact....ou  was second fiddle in all of that only slightly. Ou did NOT want yo play us every year and they didn’t care if they threw away our rivalry. They openly stated that Texas is their rival. 

This is a really complex subject, but no. Keep reading. I'm not disputing what you are saying, they are on record saying that i'm pretty sure. However i am disputing that OU did as much as you seem to think they did. The rivalry largely met its demise thanks to meeting Texas' very substantial demands, Oklahoma not caring and even wanting to avoid us guaranteed no cross division rivalry format like we had in BIG 10 version 1.0. 

And for the bolded part, there were Big XII north schools who were more involved, and made more of an effort than OU was to see Texas added.  

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, husker98 said:

And for the bolded part, there were Big XII north schools who were more involved, and made more of an effort than OU was to see Texas added.  

Care to explain?

oU literally met with Texas alone and secretly long before any other big 8 team was even informed. They hashed out the blue print they wanted to get Texas in. 

What northern team did more than that?. 

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I actually think the Iowa game works best as the final game of the regular season, especially if played on Black Friday. It’s closer to Lincoln/Omaha and makes it easier to travel after Thanksgiving. 

You're probably right, but my comment comes from a person where Rutgers is the only conference stadium that is three and a half hours away.

I have viewed Wisconsin as our most important game every year since joining the Big Ten. I care way more about them than Iowa - and so do college football viewers  (look at the ratings). Regardless, true rivalries are built over time - all of this talk is meaningless. Future games and standings will determine who our rival is - right now we don’t have one. 

• Plus1 3