Are we or aren’t we Rivals

Is Nebraska and Iowa a rivalry  

119 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 hours ago, Apsu said:

If we have a rival in the current B1G, it should be Wisconsin.

We want it to be, and I hope that's the case in the future. 

But in Madison last season, there wasn't any hostility between fans. Wisconsin fans didn't really seem threatened by NU, as everybody seemed to know the outcome of the game before it started.

Iowa is closer to a rival, but they've spent the last few seasons embarrassing us. 

As Knapp pointed out, our real rival is Northwestern. Games with them are almost always quite close.

25 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Not saying that Day won't be good, he very well could be. But Riley may be an exception doesn't prove the rule sort of situation. 

It doesn't prove anything but it is recent precedence that coaches taking over for legends can succeed and the scenarios are strikingly similar.

3 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Urban Meyers talent will be gone by then and this current coach will probably be fired be then.

By "then" you're talking about max 6 years from now, but somewhere in between 3-6 years.

1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

History tells us a guy without head coaching experience taking over for a legend usually doesn’t live up to program expectations 

How about in the 3-6 years immediately following though? 

Frank Solich was doing great in his first three years, got fired after year six but got a conference championship, three top ten finishes and a national championship appearance in there.

Mark Helfrich's first three years were pretty impressive, going 11-2 with a top 10 finish, making it to the national championship game, then finishing #19 with an injury depleted roster.

Jimbo Fisher? Followed Bobby Bowden, won 10, 9, 12, 14, 13, 10 games in his first six seasons with some conference championships, a national championship, etc.

Lincoln Riley has only went 12-2 and made the playoffs his first two years.

Remember Tom Osborne was a first time head coaching taking over for a legend.

So was Chip Kelly (10-3, 12-1, 12-2, 12-1) when he took over at Oregon, and while Mike Belotti wasn't exactly a legend on the national stage, he got Oregon to the highest point they'd ever been.

Bret Bielema was a first time head coach taking over for Barry Alvarez. Did pretty well for himself.

12 hours ago, Red Five said:

In the Big 10, I think rivals are developing with ... Ohio St.

Don't sound like Penn State fans. 

4 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Urban Meyers talent will be gone by then and this current coach will probably be fired be then. Scott frost will have us competing for nattys so no worries 

I honestly think over the next 20 years people will be tired of seeing Nebraska represent the west every year. 

So far this Day fella has done fairly well finding talent. Lets see if he can keep it up. 

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/

He just needs to hold onto some of his assistant coaches.

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CompositeCoachRankings/

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

It's been good, but for competitive games and thrilling finishes, it has to be Northwestern.

Six of our nine games have come down to the final possession, with a margin of victory at a TD or less. The last two games have gone to overtime.

I agree with this. Something is developing naturally here. It's not forced. Mutual respect. It is just hard to admit because Big10 fans have always thought of NW as a doormat and NU has a history of being elite. Wisconsin was once a doormat in the Big10, by the way.

2 minutes ago, nic said:

I agree with this. Something is developing naturally here. It's not forced. Mutual respect. It is just hard to admit because Big10 fans have always thought of NW as a doormat and NU has a history of being elite. Wisconsin was once a doormat in the Big10, by the way.

I've said this before but I disagree.  If the games continue to be close like they have been, sure, I could see a rivalry form.  Thing is, I don't think NW wins very many against us going forward.  I think it's going to become a lot more lopsided in our favor.

• Plus1 1

When I look at it from Iowa's perspective, they would say Minnesota and Wisconsin are their rivals.  They are just using the last 4 years to try to undo the almost 4 decades of dominance we had over everyone except our true rivals OU.  Iowa should just be happy they didn't play us on a regular basis back then.  Hayden Fry's tenure would have been shorter or at least tarnished. 

• Plus1 1
44 minutes ago, huKSer said:

Definition of a rival:

Your team goes 1-11 and the coach does not get fired. The team you beat is your rival

That's not the definition of a rival, and that's also not a scenario that would ever happen to anyone anywhere except for maybe in year one.

16 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It really makes no sense.  

It is almost obnoxious.  

The two things that are most annoying about Husker fans are...

1.  The Husker Fan that needs to "educated" fans of other teams about college football

2.  The "no one is our rival but OU" Husker fan.

• Plus1 4