Are we or aren’t we Rivals

Is Nebraska and Iowa a rivalry  

119 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, runningblind said:

And some folks would argue just to hear themselves talk. :cheers

I don't give a darn about OU, stop lumping me in with the rest in the thread. We're not all the same like you keep saying.

There you go!  You are getting some passion now!  I feel like John Taffer here doing a Husker Rescue.  

We are their rival, they are the ugly girl that keeps thinking she's the belle of the ball but keeps getting bowls of dog food splashed on her head at Prom. The only rival I've known was OU.  I hated losing to them, but also had a huge amount of respect for their program.  I just plain hate Iowa because of their attitude.  Same way it was for me with Colorado.

• Plus1 2

You ask me what I have felt about games meaning more. A little bit of bad feelings about what transpires on the field. Northwestern and Michigan State have felt  different. Northwestern keeps having wild rides that feel immensely glorifying or desperately painful. They have been fun games to watch almost every time. Michigan State has also felt a little more impactful. They have felt like the slimy team under Dantonio that need to have the knife twisted on. The “clap”, the comeback, the shutdown of Cousins, Turner time. Neither one of these teams is one that I would “want” as a rival but the product on and around the field has been something extra.

Iowa, for better or worse, has been a junk game because Nebraska can’t make a bowl game or is just the difference between Foster Farmers bowl or Gator Bowl. No real emotion. I keep forgetting we went to overtime last year. That should be a significant memory for a rivalry. To me it’s a, “Oh yeah, I forgot about that.”

I can’t even tell you about any specific game against Iowa other than last year Martinez’s “shimmy” and the one year there was ice everywhere in Lincoln that made travel hell. I know we lost that game, but without looking up highlights I don’t remember the exact game.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
16 hours ago, grandpasknee said:

they are the ugly girl that keeps thinking she's the belle of the ball but keeps getting bowls of dog food splashed on her head at Prom.

If that's the analogy you want to go for, then we're the overweight lardass insurance bro who peaked in high school and has been embarrassingly trying to keep living in the golden years ever since.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 3
  • Fire 2

I think we should just start by narrowing down what it actually means to be a rival. 

Some think it is a team that you dislike and really want to beat

Some think it is a team that you play close every year and is a tough game no matter how good each team is

Some think it must be another blue blood program worthy of being a rival with a Blue Blood Nebraska- that is going to battle it out annually for some prestigious award(Conference or National Championship)

Some think it can only be Oklahoma

I believe it is a little bit of the first 3. But I think you would have to look at the big picture and not just a small window like a 5-10 year time span. Even Boise State can string together a solid 5-10 years of success. Historically Iowa is like Colorado. Maybe even worse, at least Colorado has a natty. But from a historical perspective neither of those programs have shown the ability to have a consistent sustainable success that would lend itself to a 10-20 year period of both programs being a thorn in each others side "insert Oklahoma". Teams like Northwestern and Iowa have given Nebraska trouble since we have joined the big 10 yes. But do we really think the next 15 years of Nebraska Football are going to resemble the last 15 years? I know I dont. The last time we sucked as bad as we have the last 15 years you would have to go back to pre 1960. I bet back then we didnt have a rival either.

Will the 90s ever happen again IDK. But I think Frost could get us there. But I do believe Frost will bring us to a sustainable level of excellence that we enjoyed in the 60s 70s and 80s. Winning a Natty and year in and year out fielding a team capable of winning one if things break right. Assuming that comes to fruition I dont see anyone other that Penn State, Ohio State and Michigan having the ability to match our success year in and year out. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, teachercd said:

If some of you guys would rather not have fun, great, that is your thing...go for it!

It was plenty of fun when Nebraska smashed the dreams of Colorado, Kansas State, and Missouri, and many of us never considered them rivals. In fact I think it's more fun to destroy teams that think of Nebraska as their rival and it's not a mutual feeling. Maybe some of us are more sadistic than you and different things make us happy.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Landlord said:

If that's the analogy you want to go for, then we're the overweight lardass insurance bro who peaked in high school and has been embarrassingly trying to keep living in the golden years ever since.

CIGd6.gif

6 hours ago, Landlord said:

we're the overweight lardass insurance bro who peaked in high school and has been embarrassingly trying to keep living in the golden years ever since.

The issue with this analogy is Iowa doesn't have golden years. They peaked in high school but never saw the field. So ya, we are lame in the analogy, but Iowa is a lot lamer.

7 hours ago, Landlord said:

LOL, you are right!  In my high school I remember the library had a poster of a bum type of guy sitting on a park bench.  Holes in the bottoms of his shoes, torn pants, 5 day growth of facial hair, etc.  He was seated next to a well dressed business man type.  The bum guy had the word bubble coming out of his mouth "I used to be high point man on the team!".  I think of that poster in so many instances, and, as you've pointed out, like it or not, that is where we are right now!  Good comment Landlord!

18 hours ago, Landlord said:

Shoe salesman and you got Al Bundy