Are we or aren’t we Rivals

Is Nebraska and Iowa a rivalry  

119 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 8/4/2019 at 6:33 PM, runningblind said:

There is more than one way to end up rivals and you are listing decades of history.  That can definitely create one despite inital results.  If the time period is much shorter and mostly one sided then it doesn't have the same effect in my eyes.

I like @Toe's analogy of defining it by a feeling.  The only reason I feel any different about Iowa is I have good friends who are Iowa fans. Take that away and I don't feel any different about playing them versus NW, Minny or Wisconsin. I have respect for Iowa, but no hate.  I am starting to hate Wisconsin and that's it in this conference, but I in no way consider them rivals.

That has been my point.

I think of Iowa as a rival because I lived there for 15 years and have good friends who are fans and we trash talk all season long looking forward to the game.  Then, people bring up these random ideas on why they aren't a rival.....and there are many examples of classic rivalries in sports that don't hold up to their criteria.  

Really not trying to piss anyone off.  I love the Huskers as much as anyone, and most likely have for a lot longer.  Realizing you are truly old sucks!!!!!!!!!!!

If you live in the past Iowa is not a rival.  I am tired of living in the past.  Today we are not a Blueblood, we are not on any top player in the countries top three list.  Reality.  

Can we be again, too early to even think that way.  We are currently riding 2 4-8 seasons, with Nebraska's savior at the helm for one.  Will Coach Frost make us Nebraska again.  I think there is a chance, but nothing in concrete for me.  

Iowa is so superior to us in modern day football (2000) it is ridiculous to compare them honestly.  We have one mythical NC appearance that we totally backed into and then got beaten like a drum.  

Currently for me it is an honor to think anyone truly thinks of us as a rival. 

11 minutes ago, skersfan said:

If you live in the past they are not a rival.  I am tired of living in the past.  Today we are not a Blueblood, we are not on any top player in the countries top three list.  Reality.  

Can we be again, too early to even think that way.  We are currently riding 2 4-8 seasons, with Nebraska's savior at the helm for one.  Will Coach Frost make us Nebraska again.  I think there is a chance, but nothing in concrete for me.  

Iowa is so superior to us in modern day football (2000) it is ridiculous to compare them honestly.  We have one mythical NC appearance that we totally backed into and then got beaten like a drum.  

Let it all out, skersfan. Let it all out.

giphy.gif

I corrected it a little bit.  Just like all of you I want to see it be what I grew up in.  I want losses to be so devastating I can't think about anything else until the next game.  I watched my grandfather screaming his head off at Nebraska games and buried him in his Nebraska Red.  Love Nebraska always have, always will.  

But I guess unlike most, I can deal with where we are, I can deal with other teams moving ahead of us as long as I think we are headed in the right direction and if it takes a few extra years, I hope to be alive to see it.  

12 minutes ago, skersfan said:

But I guess unlike most, I can deal with where we are, I can deal with other teams moving ahead of us as long as I think we are headed in the right direction...

30 minutes ago, skersfan said:

Iowa is so superior to us in modern day football (2000) it is ridiculous to compare them honestly.

-Iowa's overall win percentage since 2000 = .620

-Nebraska's overall win percentage since 2000 = .624

Source: https://www.sports-reference.com

• Plus1 6
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Undone said:

giphy.gif

48 minutes ago, skersfan said:

Really not trying to piss anyone off.  I love the Huskers as much as anyone, and most likely have for a lot longer.  Realizing you are truly old sucks!!!!!!!!!!!

If you live in the past Iowa is not a rival.  I am tired of living in the past.  Today we are not a Blueblood, we are not on any top player in the countries top three list.  Reality.  

The best way to stay where your at, is to accept where your at. 

6 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

The best way to stay where your at, is to accept where your at. 

Not sure if you're directing that at me or skersfan but I believe very confidently that we're going to win more games than Iowa will over the next five years. I don't think there should be too much room for doubt there given Frost's resume and the guy's sheer determination, focus, and the trajectory of our recruiting rankings under him so far.

53 minutes ago, skersfan said:

Today we are not a Blueblood, we are not on any top player in the countries top three list.  Reality.  

These players have been Frost Recruits in the last 2 cycles or are currently commited. They are or were all rated .92 or higher and highly sought after players.

Adrian Martinez

Maurice Washington

Cam Jurgens

Wandale Robinson

Nick Henrich

Noa Pola Gates

Bryce Benhart

Ty Robinson

Turner Corcoran

Zavier Betts

Sure we have had a bad 15 years- but we only got that kind of talent because we are considered a Blue Blood on the way back under Frost.

1 hour ago, Undone said:

No idea why you would care about win percentage as a stat that matters.

Iowa since 2000

5 Top 10 finishes

7 Top 25 finishes

2 (shared) Conference Championships

4 BCS/NY6 Bowl Appearances

1 BCS/NY6 Bowl Win

Nebraska since 2000

1 Top 10 finish

8 Top 25 finishes

0 Conference Championships

0 BCS/NY6 Bowl Appearances

0 BCS/NY6 Bowl Wins

4 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Iowa since 2000

5 Top 10 finishes

7 Top 25 finishes

1 BCS/NY6 Bowl Win

Nebraska since 2000

1 Top 10 finish

8 Top 25 finishes

0 BCS/NY6 Bowl Wins

It’s idiotic to suggest win pct is a stat that doesn’t matter. You can argue it’s not as important as the above but it’s obviously an important stat.

It’s also convenient of you to include shared conference championships but leave out conference championship appearances when you know Iowa didn’t have to play in conference championship games.

• Plus1 4

Just now, Moiraine said:

It’s idiotic to suggest win pct is a stat that doesn’t matter. You can argue it’s not as important as the above but it’s obviously an important stat.

It’s also convenient of you to include shared conference championships but leave out conference championship appearances when you know Iowa didn’t have to play in conference championship games.

Win percentage doesn't matter on it's own. At all. It only matters as a byproduct or a related reflection of actual accomplishments. That's exactly the reason Bo Pelini was fired and our fanbase has a reputation for being so grumpy with 9 wins. Because it was a hollow and empty 9 wins void of anything other than an impressive win %.

But yeah, it is convenient for Iowa's sake that they have two conference championships due to different rules. But nonetheless, they are officially and legitimately recognized as Big Ten Champions in 2002 and 2004.

17 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Win percentage doesn't matter on it's own. At all. It only matters as a byproduct or a related reflection of actual accomplishments. That's exactly the reason Bo Pelini was fired and our fanbase has a reputation for being so grumpy with 9 wins. Because it was a hollow and empty 9 wins void of anything other than an impressive win %.

But yeah, it is convenient for Iowa's sake that they have two conference championships due to different rules. But nonetheless, they are officially and legitimately recognized as Big Ten Champions in 2002 and 2004.

Yes it does. It's ridiculous to say it doesn't matter at all. It does matter, just not as much as the other things. If a team has 1 shared conference championship and is 0-12 every other season, that matters. What winning percentage shows is Iowa has been more up and down than we have been. Although IMO their ups haven't been that impressive. Just more impressive than ours.

To add to that, what if Iowa's winning pct was 40% during that time? That would mean they've probably sucked for the past 14 years. It absolutely does matter. It's just not the end all be all - there are other important factors <-- I believe this is what you are trying to say or should be saying.

• Plus1 1
27 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Iowa since 2000

5 Top 10 finishes

7 Top 25 finishes

1 BCS/NY6 Bowl Win

Nebraska since 2000

1 Top 10 finish

8 Top 25 finishes

0 BCS/NY6 Bowl Wins

I get if you leave out the 2000 Fiesta Bowl as that was technically the 1999 season. However, we did play in Rose Bowl in the 2002 season so that is 1 BCS/NY6 Appearance and technically a National Championship appearance which Iowa can't claim. Even though we'd all like to just go ahead and forget about that... 

Hello we are from the B1G office and on behalf of our business partners and the other 12 teams in our conference we would like to inform you that your rival from now on is the University of Iowa.  

We have determined through surveys and focus groups, in consultation with branding experts from our sponsors that approximately 76% of the fans of our league are OK with a Neb./Iowa regional rivalry.  Of course we do not and will not expect the level of your play or relevancy of your program to approach the level of our real gem, the Michigan , Ohio St. game.  Therefore, please be reminded that nothing you do, should ever take any excitement away from that match up.  Ideally we would like to see the winner of the Neb./Iowa game ultimately lose to the Mich./Ohio St winner thereby giving us a chance to make the NCAA/Capitol One "national championship".  On behalf of the B1G, thank you for being a part of our conference, and if you (Nebraska or any other West div. team) need anything, please contact the intern for our assistant to the 2nd Vice President of Communications.  You may do so by filling out the contact form on our website.  

Stay Golden! 

• Plus1 2