Are we or aren’t we Rivals

Is Nebraska and Iowa a rivalry  

119 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Every time one of these threads get started I smile and shake my head. When this one started I honestly thought it was going nowhere because we just wound down on this same topic in another thread. Man was I wrong. This might be the record. :blink:

Why do people keep throwing out individual variables over and over? Lacking one variable doesn't make it not a rivalry. On the other hand, there are some big factors individually that can make something a rivalry, and being in the same state is one of them.

A rivalry doesn't need to have every single variable all the time every year, but it needs a lot of them much of the time. It doesn't matter that Nebraska beat Oklahoma several years in a row or Oklahoma beat Nebraska several years in a row. It's a rivalry because it's been competitive a long time over many years and a lot of the games mattered.

Oklahoma and Oklahoma State don't have every single variable, but they are in the same state. IMO being in the same state can trump a lot of the other factors.

With Iowa we're lacking several variables, IMO. Time is a huge one, important games is another. Basically all we have geography. If in 2039 the overall record is fairly even, I will probably consider it a rivalry even if we haven't been playing for championships. Or if it's not even, but there have been some huge games, maybe a couple upsets stopping an 11-0 team from getting to the championship, then I'll probably consider that a rivalry too. 

17 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Why do people keep throwing out individual variables over and over?

Because people keep posting as if whichever individual variable in question is the variable that makes a rivalry (usually as an argument as to why nebraska doesn't have one). 

On 8/12/2019 at 9:56 AM, Landlord said:

Because people keep posting as if whichever individual variable in question is the variable that makes a rivalry (usually as an argument as to why nebraska doesn't have one). 

I haven't seen much of that. I've seen people list several reasons Iowa isn't a rival, then people pop in and list one variable a big rivalry doesn't have, when no one claimed that every single one was required. But we are missing some of the most important, imo, with Iowa.

3 hours ago, desertshox said:

No. They are both hostess products. Ho ho's natural rival would be little debbie swiss rolls.

The Little Debbie message board has a 200 page thread talking mad $h!t about Ho Ho's, but Hostess refuses to acknowledge that it is a true rivalry. 

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That was what....8 years ago?

That isn't why people are talking about it in 2019.

I think it is a big factor. We started asking the question because of the trophy (which shouldn’t have been made year 1) and never stopped. People thought Iowa fans were annoying then and that was about all we had for a rivalry + distance. Now we have more match ups/time so it’s getting closer but IIRC none or very few have been for a division title. The year Iowa was undefeated was probably the biggest deal.