Are we or aren’t we Rivals

Is Nebraska and Iowa a rivalry  

119 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't think that would ever happen.  Oklahoma and Texas are a true rivalry.  Doubt Oklahoma would come with out that game being in stone.

As to rivalries, all that matters is if you think it is or don't think it is.  I feel Iowa has given us all we want for the last 40 years.  I don't really consider prior to 1980 being modern day football.  Actually 2000.  I know 1970-71.  I don't care who won in the 1800's.  Heck I wasn't even around then.  I went to my first game, I think in 1953, and it seems ancient even to me.  Nothing about it is the same

Since 1980 it is 7-6 with the Hawk Eyes winning the last 4.  Still feel we should be happy they consider us a rival, it shows respect for our program.  I don't care about trophies, I think most of them are stupid.  As to whether they are a rival or not really isn't important.  We need to start beating them if it ever is going to be.  

Personally I would rather see us beat Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State and Wisconsin.  But after the last two years, any victory is good victory.

• Plus1 1

6 hours ago, skersfan said:

Still feel we should be happy they consider us a rival

I get what you're saying with this, that we shouldn't be too arrogant to dismiss them as a rival because of some belief that they're beneath us, but I don't think they think of us as a rival. I think they have their rivals in Wisconsin, Minnesota and Iowa State, and they're just fine with those.

To Iowa we're just a nuisance, and an arrogant one at that.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I think we should look no further than this off-season for evidence of that. A 4-8 Nebraska team has commanded more interest and debate than any other team in the West division so far. That has to rankle the feathers a bit if I'm a Hawkeye because the Hawkeyes have been better of late.

Such is the nature of Nebraska football and it's really just a taste of what will come should Nebraska be a consistent national player again.

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Eh, I think that's a bit undersold.  We beat them three of the first four times we played them after moving to the conference.  They took advantage of us under Riley but who didn't?  Had we managed to get the win last year the series would be tied since we joined the B1G.  That's more than a nuisance.

By the way, I got that data from the Iowa-Nebraska football rivalry so it's Wiki official.  End of discussion.

10 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Eh, I think that's a bit undersold.  We beat them three of the first four times we played them after moving to the conference.  They took advantage of us under Riley but who didn't?  Had we managed to get the win last year the series would be tied since we joined the B1G.  That's more than a nuisance.

By the way, I got that data from the Iowa-Nebraska football rivalry so it's Wiki official.  End of discussion.

Sure. We're not a rival to them like Wisconsin, Minnesota or Iowa State. That's the takeaway, whatever word you want to use to define it.

I think one of the few things the conference got right with the legends/leaders mess was our annual cross league game with Penn st.   It checked a lot of boxes, mutual dislike due to past history, the conference newcomers, and history. 

If that was still going today I bet it would be a red circle on the calendar for both school every year. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, CapoValley said:

I think one of the few things the conference got right with the legends/leaders mess was our annual cross league game with Penn st.   It checked a lot of boxes, mutual dislike due to past history, the conference newcomers, and history. 

If that was still going today I bet it would be a red circle on the calendar for both school every year. 

Ya. It was a good one and it made sense. Another one is Michigan State but I think I only like them because they’re the only top 5 B1G team we tend to beat. 

3 minutes ago, nic said:

NU, NW, Minn, Mich, MSU, Iowa. Not a bad division other than the name. I am curious what Nebraska fans thought of playing Michigan annually or was it just kind of 'meh'?

Michigan was definitely ‘meh’. That’s why they upgraded coaches to capt spicy.

• Plus1 1

34 minutes ago, 30-50 Feral Hogs said:

I have never cared about Michigan.  I didn't like seeing us lose to them, but I never paid much attention if they were or were not on the schedule.

When Nebraska first joined the Big Ten Michigan was one of the teams I was really excited to play at minimum every other year.