Are we or aren’t we Rivals

Is Nebraska and Iowa a rivalry  

119 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, nic said:

I thought due to the 97 NC split there would be interest in this game. Maybe now that Frost is in charge, it will amp up a bit.

Part of it is we just haven’t played enough. Back in 2011 I wasn’t really excited for any match up in particular. I was excited for the schedule on the whole but I didn’t get excited for specific individual teams. 

And since we have played Ohio State and Michigan State so much they stick out more. And we haven’t played Penn State a lot since the crossover but something just felt right about that match up. (I admit it could be that they didn’t blow us out like Michigan did with Robinson that one year).

33 minutes ago, nic said:

The Big 10 meant well with the Iowa trophy game but they missed the mark. They should have called the game Faramageddon and played for a golden ear of corn.:P

and they could've had a bunch of the players eating corn cobs at the end of the game, like they eat a turkey leg on Thanksgiving in the NFL.

It honestly is kinda stupid there's nothing related to corn in the trophy. Military/military history isn't exactly unique to Nebraska and Iowa. Seems like they couldn't come up with something so they came up with the heroes trophy because people like military stuff.

7 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

and they could've had a bunch of the players eating corn cobs at the end of the game, like they eat a turkey leg on Thanksgiving in the NFL.

It honestly is kinda stupid there's nothing related to corn in the trophy. Military/military history isn't exactly unique to Nebraska and Iowa. Seems like they couldn't come up with something so they came up with the heroes trophy because people like military stuff.

I grow tired of it pretty quickly.

3 hours ago, nic said:

The Big 10 meant well with the Iowa trophy game but they missed the mark. They should have called the game Faramageddon and played for a golden ear of corn.:P

Assuming you meant Farmageddon, that's already used for K-State vs Iowa State.

4 hours ago, nic said:

30 minutes ago, Toe said:

They could make it Farrahmageddon, and have a bronze Farrah Fawcett trophy, and it would be an improvement.

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

Yes, Iowa is a rival IMO.  It checks the boxes of the 3 things that are required for a rivalry.  Proximity, population is similar, a shared background of people in agricultural states, and both teams have taken turns winning the rivalry games and it isn't one-sided.  

Interesting, because I wouldn’t claim any of those as reasons, though they would be contributing factors.

1) Some amount of hate.

2) Some amount of mutual respect.

On 8/16/2019 at 7:58 PM, Toe said:

yes I did. I need to spell check better. I didn't know it was taken, but I was just joking anyway. it's kind of funny that someone uses that.:lol:

23 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Part of it is we just haven’t played enough.

That's pretty much it. Our series with Michigan has been....very uninspired. 2011 we got dominated, next. 2012 and 2013 they were a pretty bad team and we beat them in close-ish games but they didn't feel like they had a ton of weight. Then 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 years later we play them again and get dominated again. There's nothing interesting about that matchup as of right now.

18 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

Gimme #1 Nebraska against #2 OU on Thanksgiving.  I'll take that over Iowa every time.

Okay we all would. That wasn't the question.