Are we or aren’t we Rivals

Is Nebraska and Iowa a rivalry  

119 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I get if you leave out the 2000 Fiesta Bowl as that was technically the 1999 season. However, we did play in Rose Bowl in the 2002 season so that is 1 BCS/NY6 Appearance and technically a National Championship appearance which Iowa can't claim. Even though we'd all like to just go ahead and forget about that... 

Sorry yes I meant to include it.

• Plus1 1

15 hours ago, Landlord said:

Win percentage doesn't matter on it's own. At all. It only matters as a byproduct or a related reflection of actual accomplishments. That's exactly the reason Bo Pelini was fired and our fanbase has a reputation for being so grumpy with 9 wins. Because it was a hollow and empty 9 wins void of anything other than an impressive win %.

But yeah, it is convenient for Iowa's sake that they have two conference championships due to different rules. But nonetheless, they are officially and legitimately recognized as Big Ten Champions in 2002 and 2004.

Guessing Iowa would have had no chance of a conference title if they played in the big 12 in the early 2000s. We had some pretty sweet teams then.

On 7/31/2019 at 6:25 PM, Apsu said:

If we have a rival in the current B1G, it should be Wisconsin.

Without meaning any sort of disrespect to games between Nebraska/Wisconsin, I don't think you'll find many Wisconsin fans that consider Nebraska a rival - most say Iowa and Minnesota.  However, a larger-percentage consider Minnesota the primary rival and it extends beyond football, and athletics, in general.  Few examples below:

• Tuition reciprocity allows for HS students in each state to attend Minnesota and Wisconsin at the cost of an in-state student.  Kids, naturally, want to get away and this one way of doing so.  For as many kids within each state going to their flagship university, many of their peers will cross state lines for university.
  • Folks from each state find work in the other state after college in the major metropolitan areas (i.e. Minneapolis / St. Paul, Madison, Milwaukee).
  • Both states have strong German and Scandinavian roots.
  • Both states are similar in culture (i.e. recreation in the North Woods, access to 10,000+ lakes, etc.).
  • The two states border each other, almost entirely, north/south.  Plenty of crossover between the two states with residents working in the other (i.e. commuting from Hudson to MSP, Winona <-> La Crosse, etc).
  • Minnesota and Wisconsin sports, not including CFB, are more-closely tied when you consider strong college hockey traditions (both men and women) and Packers/Vikings.

The rivalry between the two schools, for as lopsided as its been in football, is about as natural as it gets.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

I think these topics come up so often because we actually don't have a true rival that has developed organically (anymore).  That is because we haven't been in the league long enough for that to happen.  I do wish to beat Iowa, Wisconsin, and NW more than others but I think that is more because those are typically the better teams in the division and that's who we have to beat to elevate the program. 

The reason Nebraska doesn't have all of these rivalries has been laid out, for 40 years we expected to beat EVERYBODY.  A loss to anyone but Oklahoma was an absolute shock.  National news.  Other teams were happy to go to a bowl game and beat their in-state or near-state rival every year.  Nebraska's season was deemed a near-failure if it didn't win 10 and be in the conference championship picture until the last game of the season.  We haven't been that team for some time, but I think its coming.  Iowa and Wisconsin will probably be the teams we have to go through to get there.  That will make true rivalries develop.

Now, if expansion does place Oklahoma in our division this question will take care of itself.  Every other game will come with the passion to win them, but we will be fighting Oklahoma (hopefully) for our division most years.

But also...screw Iowa.

• Plus1 2
On 8/8/2019 at 7:24 AM, badgers007 said:

Without meaning any sort of disrespect to games between Nebraska/Wisconsin, I don't think you'll find many Wisconsin fans that consider Nebraska a rival - most say Iowa and Minnesota.  However, a larger-percentage consider Minnesota the primary rival and it extends beyond football, and athletics, in general.  Few examples below:

• Tuition reciprocity allows for HS students in each state to attend Minnesota and Wisconsin at the cost of an in-state student.  Kids, naturally, want to get away and this one way of doing so.  For as many kids within each state going to their flagship university, many of their peers will cross state lines for university.
  • Folks from each state find work in the other state after college in the major metropolitan areas (i.e. Minneapolis / St. Paul, Madison, Milwaukee).
  • Both states have strong German and Scandinavian roots.
  • Both states are similar in culture (i.e. recreation in the North Woods, access to 10,000+ lakes, etc.).
  • The two states border each other, almost entirely, north/south.  Plenty of crossover between the two states with residents working in the other (i.e. commuting from Hudson to MSP, Winona <-> La Crosse, etc).
  • Minnesota and Wisconsin sports, not including CFB, are more-closely tied when you consider strong college hockey traditions (both men and women) and Packers/Vikings.

The rivalry between the two schools, for as lopsided as its been in football, is about as natural as it gets.

So would you see similarities between that scenario and NU/Iowa as it develops over time?

11 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Is there any other team in this league thay we talk about how much we are or aren't rivals with more???  We are probably rivals 

12 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I'm changing my vote to yes. If we can talk about whether or not a team is a rival for 5 pages they are are a rival. 

This is some flawed logic. Part of the reason it started being brought up is because the B1G made a trophy for it before we ever played them as a conference opponent.

• Plus1 1