Are we or aren’t we Rivals

Is Nebraska and Iowa a rivalry  

119 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, Apsu said:

Because many fans still remember Husker football in the year 2000 and the thirty something years before it.

We were not just a top team, we were the top team.

Dude, college football is fun, being a fan of a team is fun, having games vs teams that sort of mean something extra is fun.  If you want to sit there shaking your head side to side with your arms folded across your chest when the Huskers play Iowa, have fun if that is your thing.  I honest think some Husker fans get off on being withholding.  

Go to the 26 second part...

Like, some of us Husker fans sound like Buster

• Plus1 1

17 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Dude, college football is fun, being a fan of a team is fun, having games vs teams that sort of mean something extra is fun.  If you want to sit there shaking your head side to side with your arms folded across your chest when the Huskers play Iowa, have fun if that is your thing.  I honest think some Husker fans get off on being withholding.

Please, no need to be insulting.

I am a long time fan who remembers the glory days, and as such I am entitled to have an opinion of my own as to what I expect from a rival.

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, Apsu said:

Please, no need to be insulting.

I am a long time fan who remembers the glory days, and as such I am entitled to have an opinion of my own as to what I expect from a rival.

None of what I posted was insulting.  But what your response shows is that you are doing exactly what I pointed out.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Apsu said:

Because many fans still remember Husker football in the year 2000 and the thirty something years before it.

We were not just a top team, we were the top team.

so?

I listed off a number of great classic/traditional rivalries in sports above that has one team with great winning tradition and the other one doesn't.

Not every rivalries is because the two teams play for a championship.  Your example of Iowa/Iowa St above is cherry picked from a long list of rivalries that are very different than that.

Look, everyone can look at a game differently.  To me, it's a rivalry because I lived in Iowa for 15 years, know a lot of Iowa fans that we give a lot of crap to all year looking forward to bragging rights the day after Thanksgiving.  We have fun with it.  I can understand if someone doesn't have that type of tie to Iowa so they don't feel the same way.

I think the disconnect sometimes is that people think that there needs to be some official designation from the football Gods on who is a rival.  That's just not the case.  It's perfectly fine if someone thinks a team is a rival and someone else doesn't.  

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

so?

I listed off a number of classic/traditional rivalries in sports above that has one team with great winning tradition and the other one doesn't.

Not every rivalries is because the two teams play for a championship.  Your example of Iowa/Iowa St above is cherry picked from a long list of rivalries that are very different than that.

Look, everyone can look at a game differently.  To me, it's a rivalry because I lived in Iowa for 15 years, know a lot of Iowa fans that we give a lot of crap to all year looking forward to bragging rights the day after Thanksgiving.  We have fun with it.  I can understand if someone doesn't have that type of tie to Iowa so they don't feel the same way.

I think the disconnect sometimes is that people think that there needs to be some official designation from the football Gods on who is a rival.  That's just not the case.  It's perfectly fine if someone thinks a team is a rival and someone else doesn't.  

So much this!  

It makes it fun.  It is like if you went to NU and your wife went to KSU...or one kid goes to Arizona and another to Cal...It just adds more to it...

And I totally agree that some people might not feel the same or might not have the tie to it.  That makes sense.  But when they come off as this "I remember the past" Husker fan it is total eye roll emoji time.

• Plus1 2

24 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It would make these threads a lot less common and a lot shorter if everyone felt this way.

I can't wait.

There are at least three threads on the main Husker forum about this very topic that have been commented on with relative recency. This thread, this one about The Athletic's story, and then this one that Mavric started last November and was posted in as recently as June. The thread here is almost an identical copy of Mav's, so it appears we just like to rehash the conversation and gauge the environment every so often. I guess it's good off-season fodder even though I personally don't care much what people think of Iowa or what they think of us. (And, for the record, the ultimate polling result hasn't changed from Mav's thread to this one - most people say 'No.')

I don't ever again want to see a Husker fan accuse a member of another fan base of our program/fans living 'rent free' in their heads. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I can't wait.

There are at least three threads on the main Husker forum about this very topic that have been commented on with relative recency. This thread, this one about The Athletic's story, and then this one that Mavric started last November and was posted in as recently as June. The thread here is almost an identical copy of Mav's, so it appears we just like to rehash the conversation and gauge the environment every so often. I guess it's good off-season fodder even though I personally don't care much what people think of Iowa or what they think of us. (And, for the record, the ultimate polling result hasn't changed from Mav's thread to this one - most people say 'No.')

I don't ever again want to see a Husker fan accuse a member of another fan base of our program/fans living 'rent free' in their heads. 

No kidding!  This is so true.  Husker fans are PARANOID!  

Not all of them...but a good portion. 

• Plus1 1