Are we or aren’t we Rivals

Is Nebraska and Iowa a rivalry  

119 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

25 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Most games haven’t been competitive (same with Wisconsin), but we play them cross division every year, and that game means a lot to our fans (and I’d like to imagine their fans too).

We didn't play them in 2013-2015 and we don't play them in 3 of the next 7. The only time we beat them was just barely beating their worst team in decades and they routinely hang 60 on us. We have next to no history, the game hasn't really mattered, and there's no hate between the fanbases. There's nothing whatsoever in any of that that says rivalry imo.

I still say that Michigan State has been our best series since joining the Big Ten, in competitiveness and enjoyability of the games. Too bad they're not in our division anymore...

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, runningblind said:

No OSU in 22,23 or 25.  Michigan for 5 in a row starting in 2021, and we play both in 21 and 24.

In 21 we get MSU, Mich and OSU.  In 24 we get Mich and OSU in back to back weeks.

Holy freaking cross over schedule in 2021. That's brutal. 

A rival is a measuring stick. Not one team on our permanent schedule is a true measuring stick for this program. NONE of them force the program to push to match or exceed what they are capable of because none of them  have ever even proven capable of more than we are able to be when less than our best. Of the group, most are incapable of being a REAL threat on a consistent basis in any capacity, Iowa is generally barely better than we are at our worst and in the division, only Wisconsin is even able to show themselves to to be consistently as good as we are when we are at our historical average.

No program in our division is one we should be worried about a loss to in any year we are legitimately playing like a national championship contender and thus none of them are going to push us to get to beyond that point as a true rival.

We had a potential really good future rival set up with Penn State when the divisions were first formed and sadly the conference took that away with the new divisions. 

7 hours ago, runningblind said:

No OSU in 22,23 or 25.  Michigan for 5 in a row starting in 2021, and we play both in 21 and 24.

In 21 we get MSU, Mich and OSU.  In 24 we get Mich and OSU in back to back weeks.

Urban Meyers talent will be gone by then and this current coach will probably be fired be then. Scott frost will have us competing for nattys so no worries 

I honestly think over the next 20 years people will be tired of seeing Nebraska represent the west every year. 

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, Blackshirt316 said:

A rival is a measuring stick. Not one team on our permanent schedule is a true measuring stick for this program. NONE of them force the program to push to match or exceed what they are capable of because none of them  have ever even proven capable of more than we are able to be when less than our best. Of the group, most are incapable of being a REAL threat on a consistent basis in any capacity, Iowa is generally barely better than we are at our worst and in the division, only Wisconsin is even able to show themselves to to be consistently as good as we are when we are at our historical average.

No program in our division is one we should be worried about a loss to in any year we are legitimately playing like a national championship contender and thus none of them are going to push us to get to beyond that point as a true rival.

We had a potential really good future rival set up with Penn State when the divisions were first formed and sadly the conference took that away with the new divisions. 

I think we have been too bad and not competitive enough with all the coaching changes for rivalries to form. We have sucked and dwelled in the bottom half of either conference for nearly 18 years so I don’t think we want to claim the teams who we have actually competed with 

In a small way yes.  They're the neighboring state.  Anytime we play Iowa I simply want to beat them because of their somewhat dopey fan base.  Not saying they're all like that but a lot of them certainly like to talk about Nebraska that's for sure. 

I feel the exact same way 100% about Wisconsin fans when we play them.  They should just combine those two states.  Oof.

1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Urban Meyers talent will be gone by then and this current coach will probably be fired be then. Scott frost will have us competing for nattys so no worries 

I honestly think over the next 20 years people will be tired of seeing Nebraska represent the west every year. 

We haven't seen him coach yet how can you say this? 

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, Toe said:

I still say that Michigan State has been our best series since joining the Big Ten, in competitiveness and enjoyability of the games. Too bad they're not in our division anymore...

Plus Michigan State is an easy team to hate with that permanent chip on their shoulder and constant complaining about getting no respect.

10 hours ago, Toe said:

It's been good, but for competitive games and thrilling finishes, it has to be Northwestern.

Six of our nine games have come down to the final possession, with a margin of victory at a TD or less. The last two games have gone to overtime.