Fall Camp Notes

Just now, WyoHusker56 said:

Doesn't seem like Robinson's name has come up a ton as an early contributor on the deep line, but based on his reported size and hearing his name more lately I wonder if he makes an impact this year.

I don't think Robinson will crack the 2-deep.  There are a lot of older and more experienced guys ahead of him.  I think Severe's comments are based on dudes that just look like physical beasts on the field.  Robinson came in with the size, but I think he needed to get in better shape to be able to contribute.  I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up playing in 4 games and still preserving his redshirt.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Doesn't seem like Robinson's name has come up a ton as an early contributor on the deep line, but based on his reported size and hearing his name more lately I wonder if he makes an impact this year.

I would expect they'll at least take advantage of the new redshirt rule

• Plus1 2

5 minutes ago, Undone said:

Make no mistake - Wan'Dale is gonna play this year. Having him and Washington on the field at the same time is going to gash teams so hard.

Is it too early to start getting c$%ky with "our speed?" Yeah...probably.   :)

Yeah, I am really excited to see the combinations of players which Frost/Held/Walters are going to use.  There are so many different options and formations which can be used.

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yeah, I am really excited to see the combinations of players which Frost/Held/Walters are going to use.  There are so many different options and formations which can be used.

Bingo.  I am not worried about offensive production in the slightest.  We love Stan, but as I said in a previous post, get ready for his records to fall several times in the next decade.

All my attention is on defense. If the line can hold up and allow us to stop the run, then this team will live up to the hype big time.  I think they will even if the D struggles some just from scoring 40 per.

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

SEEN: A most-physical defensive backs drill that started calmly — with a corner tackling another corner — but quickly escalated into a fierce competition, in part because of freshman Javin Wright, who refused to be tackled. That led to other cornerbacks not wanting to play along with the drill, to the point where DiCaprio Bootle trucked Lamar Jackson. Wright and Cam Taylor, each refusing to give an inch, hit each other in a stalemate that went 10 yards out of bounds and into a reporter.

This is the epitome of an old school Osborne practice. Holy crow this is exciting stuff!

• Plus1 4
23 minutes ago, Undone said:

Make no mistake - Wan'Dale is gonna play this year. Having him and Washington on the field at the same time is going to gash teams so hard.

Is it too early to start getting c$%ky with "our speed?" Yeah...probably.   :)

thats-great-kid-dont-get-penisy-com-17539256.png

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 5

26 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Bingo.  I am not worried about offensive production in the slightest.  We love Stan, but as I said in a previous post, get ready for his records to fall several times in the next decade.

All my attention is on defense. If the line can hold up and allow us to stop the run, then this team will live up to the hype big time.  I think they will even if the D struggles some just from scoring 40 per.

It's funny because listening to the OWH guys on this week's Pick 6 Podcast, they all think the D is going to be the strength of the team, especially early in the season.

32 minutes ago, Undone said:

This is the epitome of an old school Osborne practice. Holy crow this is exciting stuff!

Frost will be able to amp up the physicality each year as the roster starts building more depth.  He couldn't risk any minor or major injuries last year, because the team was so thin in key spots.  It can be hard to make it through practices if there aren't guys at some positions.  

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

He couldn't risk any minor or major injuries last year, because the team was so thin in key spots.  It can be hard to make it through practices if there aren't guys at some positions.

My take honestly is that this isn't the full explanation of what happened last year, but regardless you're not wrong, either. But I believe that Frost came in not quite understanding just how physical the conference would be. By the end of the Iowa game, he explicitly verbalized how out-physical'd we were and his offseason comments reflect this as well. 

I think this is a product of prioritizing areas of improvement more than anything.

Either way: We're going to be in a good position to be much more physical this season and that will add to the win column for sure.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Undone said:

My take honestly is that this isn't the full explanation of what happened last year, but regardless you're not wrong, either. But I believe that Frost came in not quite understanding just how physical the conference would be. By the end of the Iowa game, he explicitly verbalized how out-physical'd we were and his offseason comments reflect this as well. 

I think this is a product of prioritizing areas of improvement more than anything.

Either way: We're going to be in a good position to be much more physical this season and that will add to the win column for sure.

I don't know if it was underestimation/not understanding how physical the Big Ten would be, but yes, Frost did say that the team needs to get to the physicality that Michigan, Wisconsin, and Iowa played with.  That's getting guys bigger, improving depth, and emphasizing that during practice.  If Frost is able to mix physicality with speed and athleticism, that's a great combination.