Fall Camp Notes

8 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I am fully biased, as Mo might be my favorite player on the team right now, but i think Mo will be one of those players that fans don't quite like or will be highly critical of the kid, no matter what he does on the field.

He is my favorite player as well. I think pound for pound, he is Nebraska's best talent, and has the ability to be one of the best ever at Nebraska. Mind you, this is a guy who can play RB and WR in the same game. Because of that potential, you want him to max out on it. I am sure he is stressed out, and is struggling to fit in. He might be doing the workouts, but he looks to be skipping meals. And with him, you kind of have to expect something is amiss. 

5 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

And with him, you kind of have to expect something is amiss. 

Suspect maybe.. Expect is a bit overkill.  I can see where it is a bit odd that he hasn't put on more in the year but we have heard nothing about him not putting in the work that has been asked of him. He's 19 and may be one that struggles more to bulk. I'm interested in seeing how the season goes for him. If he's out there for every snap and getting the touches we'd expect him to get, I'd lean more toward a build/metabolism hardship than anything. If we see him spending spells in the doghouse, I would give more credence to him not doing his part. Be a damn shame if he's doing all he can and showing out, feeling bad about it in his own head only to find people putting him on blast for things beyond his control. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

Suspect maybe.. Expect is a bit overkill.  I can see where it is a bit odd that he hasn't put on more in the year but we have heard nothing about him not putting in the work that has been asked of him. He's 19 and may be one that struggles more to bulk. I'm interested in seeing how the season goes for him. If he's out there for every snap and getting the touches we'd expect him to get, I'd lean more toward a build/metabolism hardship than anything. If we see him spending spells in the doghouse, I would give more credence to him not doing his part. Be a damn shame if he's doing all he can and showing out, feeling bad about it in his own head only to find people putting him on blast for things beyond his control. 

My bad, suspect is a better word. 

I have this sneaking suspicion that it really doesn't matter whether Mo weighs 170 or 190. He's a freak athlete and will be utilized in specific ways. 

Would he be more durable if he was 15 pounds heavier? Probably. But I quantify this stuff as "offseason talk;" it's the type of stuff we talk about in August but when you think about it probably isn't going to matter that much.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, rocketlb said:

Damon and Talman were discussing his "slightness" this morning.  Benning mentioned a discussion with Frost (IIRC) about Mo's incredibly high metabolism.  If that's the case, I'm not sure he will ever be as big as many people think he should be - a la Randy Gregory.

Can't remember where I saw it, but one of the coaches (Held?) was talking about Mo being a high metabolism guy who's up and down at lot on his weight. If that's true he could very easily bulk up some in the off season when they aren't working as hard and then shed weight fast once they hit fall camp. Might be a guy who just naturally carries little body fat and doesn't have the bulk other guys do.

9 minutes ago, rocketlb said:

Damon and Talman were discussing his "slightness" this morning.  Benning mentioned a discussion with Frost (IIRC) about Mo's incredibly high metabolism.  If that's the case, I'm not sure he will ever be as big as many people think he should be - a la Randy Gregory.

And we know RG had the munchies a lot so just imagine how slight he would have been!

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
14 minutes ago, rocketlb said:

Well, we know Gregory was always hungry

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, teachercd said:

And we know RG had the munchies a lot so just imagine how slight he would have been!

Psst, Mo just got in trouble for weed too ;) (drug paraphernalia so technically a bad friend could've left his stuff with Mo, but...)

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Can't remember where I saw it, but one of the coaches (Held?) was talking about Mo being a high metabolism guy who's up and down at lot on his weight. If that's true he could very easily bulk up some in the off season when they aren't working as hard and then shed weight fast once they hit fall camp. Might be a guy who just naturally carries little body fat and doesn't have the bulk other guys do.

Yeah, I was just getting ready to edit my post because I just came across that interview with Held too.  I just hope he'll be durable enough to last at that smaller size.  I'm not going to pretend to be an expert, but it would probably help if he would improve his ability to avoid contact (based on last year's games, anyway).

• Plus1 1