Fall Camp Notes

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Hahaha!!!  The defense traumatizing the offense also could have been due to the average play of the O-line and Tanner Lee.

It's always easier in camp for the defense. Our run D should be light years of where it was last year. I think the question comes down to guys especially OLBs to make some distruptive plays for sacks, hurries. 

1 hour ago, BIG ERN said:

It's always easier in camp for the defense. Our run D should be light years of where it was last year. I think the question comes down to guys especially OLBs to make some distruptive plays for sacks, hurries. 

The thing that I think is forgotten is  they don’t have to be great. They just need to not be terrible.  Stop the run and create some turnovers.  I think they can do that.  It doesn’t need to be pretty.  The O is gonna do its thing.  As a chiefs fan it’s the same thing with them.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, melscott62 said:

The thing that I think is forgotten is  they don’t have to be great. They just need to not be terrible.  Stop the run and create some turnovers.  I think they can do that.  It doesn’t need to be pretty.  The O is gonna do its thing.  As a chiefs fan it’s the same thing with them.

That’s no fun. Nobody wants to come out of the locker room and have the reporter ask them what it’s like to just not be terrible.

3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Hahaha!!!  The defense traumatizing the offense also could have been due to the average play of the O-line and Tanner Lee.

My thought exactly. I remember at the time, the articles talking about the defense's success in practice were positioning it (directly and indirectly) to suggest the defense would be the strength of the team in 2017 and that it was apparent that Diaco's style of coaching was working.

:blink:

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

I went back and watched the games again. Holy sh*t did we get wrecked on the D line (I know this is obvious). C Davis playing NT was not a good fit and I can't wait for the Daniel's bros to be there. Dedrick Young and Tre Neal were also major liabilities. Major thing about a 3-4 is you have to have large guys who can stand their ground. Eaiser to take angles on a 3 man line. 

23 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I went back and watched the games again. Holy sh*t did we get wrecked on the D line (I know this is obvious). C Davis playing NT was not a good fit and I can't wait for the Daniel's bros to be there. Dedrick Young and Tre Neal were also major liabilities. Major thing about a 3-4 is you have to have large guys who can stand their ground. Eaiser to take angles on a 3 man line. 

Yeah some of the re-watches were more rough than I remembered. He wasn't actually playing nose, but Stille ended up lining up between the center and guard a lot against Iowa and it was baaad. Those guys being bigger and having 2 actual NTs is huge.

And I love Barry, but he's got quite a bit to clean up too - Young was really noticeable because he was generally in the right place so you saw him whiff. Sometimes Barry was so far off you couldn't tell whether he was supposed to be in the open gap or not, but a lot of times I'd guess he was. But I expect him to take a big step forward this year, he just needs to be consistent which is bound to happen in year 2.

29 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I was watching a highlight reel of UCF's 2017 season and Neal kinda stuck out like sore thumb on defense at times. He seemed outta position a lot and that kinda carried over to last year at NU

5 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Young was really noticeable because he was generally in the right place so you saw him whiff.

This must have been in games later in the season.  Early in the season, he would literally be running in the opposite direction of the play as though he thought a totally different play was being ran.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This must have been in games later in the season.  Early in the season, he would literally be running in the opposite direction of the play as though he thought a totally different play was being ran.

The ones that come to mind for Young are the long runs by Michigan, but I'm not gonna pretend this is based on any deeper analysis than just watching a couple times so I'm sure that happened as well. Iowa was rough for both LBs, but there were a couple in there where Barry was way off on his gap or (maybe more likely) the Dline was destroyed to the point where the gap shouldn't have even been there.

6 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

The ones that come to mind for Young are the long runs by Michigan, but I'm not gonna pretend this is based on any deeper analysis than just watching a couple times so I'm sure that happened as well. Iowa was rough for both LBs, but there were a couple in there where Barry was way off on his gap or (maybe more likely) the Dline was destroyed to the point where the gap shouldn't have even been there.

There is a good possibility of that.  

1 hour ago, BIG ERN said:

C Davis playing NT was not a good fit

Yeah, the Davis twins that I've kinda felt might have been better off transferring. They're good, but they've been asked to do a lot that they aren't quite a fit for. Remember that they were originally Bo's recruits.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

What???  We would have been in a world of hurt without them the last couple of years.  Yes, they have taken turns playing out of position, but, I'm damn glad they have been here.

For their own personal college football experience, they probably would have been better of transferring.  For the sake of Nebraska football, I am darn glad they stayed at NU and put the team before themselves.  They were asked to play positions which they weren't suited/recruited for, and they did it without much complaining.