Fall Camp Notes

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

The defensive line is doing a better job of freeing up the linebackers to make plays. So, I wonder how much possible improvement along the line will ultimately impact Barry's play. It's possible that he (and a lot of other players, to be fair) were still trying to do too much in order to make up for inconsistencies elsewhere.

The main problem throughout the majority of the season to me was that Chinander wasn't calling blitz package plays, period. It seemed like in roughly 9-10 games he was calling plays where the linbackers were kind of just standing around in a run fit scheme.

29 minutes ago, Undone said:

The main problem throughout the majority of the season to me was that Chinander wasn't calling blitz package plays, period. It seemed like in roughly 9-10 games he was calling plays where the linbackers were kind of just standing around in a run fit scheme.

Hard to call blitzes if you can't trust the secondary to cover - look what happened against Iowa. I expect we'll see more blitzing this year.

5 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Hard to call blitzes if you can't trust the secondary to cover - look what happened against Iowa. I expect we'll see more blitzing this year.

I agree with your statement completely and that's a good call. But my original point was responding to the idea that our linebackers "weren't freed up to blitz by the defensive line." They weren't being coached to blitz all that much outside of the Colorado and Ohio State games.

6 minutes ago, Undone said:

I agree with your statement completely and that's a good call. But my original point was responding to the idea that our linebackers "weren't freed up to blitz by the defensive line." They weren't being coached to blitz all that much outside of the Colorado and Ohio State games.

Ah, gotcha. It'll be interesting to see how much different the defense looks in year two, there were so many things wrong it's hard to list all of the issues. Better S&C, players not being forced to play out of position, better understanding of the playbook, and even just more familiarity with the other teams in the conference will all change how the defense is called and how they play. I'm optimistic.

• Plus1 1