Fall Camp Notes

1 hour ago, Ziebol said:

“I’m excited about him and what his potential will be,” Austin said. “It’s just a matter of getting him to stay healthy throughout.” 

“Cam has kind of been bitten by the injury bug,” Frost said while speaking at Vintage Venue for the Beatrice Rotary Club's 100th anniversary. “I don’t say this about many players, but I think Cam has a chance to be one of the most special players to ever play at the University of Nebraska if we keep him healthy.

A quick google search shows the coaches are plenty concerned with keeping him healthy.....

It was incorrect of me to imply that the coaches weren't worried.  I am sure that they are.  It should have been more directed at fans who are worried about what the coaches will do with (gasp) two good centers.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

https://twitter.com/mitchsherman/status/1162401464259510272https://twitter.com/mitchsherman/status/116240146425951027

Robinson held out again today. After missing most of the spring and now appears to be dinged up again I'm wondering how he will be able to hold up once the real action starts. Curious if it is the hamstring again. And while the 2 deep receivers had me much more confident in that group than before the beginning of camp with all the injuries I'm starting to get a little nervous.

I wouldn't look to much into it. Noa and Spielman were both held out and AM was limited. I think they have a good idea of who their top guys are so any chance they can get to rest them to stay healthy is going to be important since the long grind happens next week.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

They are being held out just to help with recovery.  Some are getting a little tightness in their body. 

They can also use the body monitors to gather data that can be used to predict injuries before they happen, and that isn’t something a coach is gonna announce at a press conference. “The data told us Wandale might pull a muscle today.” It sounds dumb even though it isn’t.

I don’t know if they’re actually doing this, but they can. 

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, Moiraine said:

They can also use the body monitors to gather data that can be used to predict injuries before they happen, and that isn’t something a coach is gonna announce at a press conference. “The data told us Wandale might pull a muscle today.” It sounds dumb even though it isn’t.

I don’t know if they’re actually doing this, but they can. 

Body monitors to predict injuries before they happen??? What is this magic you speak of?

21 hours ago, 30-50 Feral Hogs said:

Coaches probably need to worry about getting Jurgens healthy enough to make it through Spring and fall practices before they worry about how they are going to get his athleticism on the field.

The story I’m hearing is that Jurgens actually injured his foot playing sand volleyball. Also sounds like maybe the coaches have had a little trouble getting Cam to realize some of the things he needs to do and not do to see the field. In that context, it would seem all these things we’re hearing the coaches say about him are probably meant more for his sake and trying to motivate him to make some better choices.

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, 307husker said:

Body monitors to predict injuries before they happen??? What is this magic you speak of?

Carolina Panthers talked about sensors a year or two ago.  The players work out and it can tell what specific muscles are weak, any type of imbalance etc....I'm guessing NU has something similar.  Tells the S&C what to watch for/work on.

27 minutes ago, lo country said:

Carolina Panthers talked about sensors a year or two ago.  The players work out and it can tell what specific muscles are weak, any type of imbalance etc....I'm guessing NU has something similar.  Tells the S&C what to watch for/work on.

They do and have had for at least 4 years.

3 hours ago, ZRod said:

Go on...

Ok. What they can do is keep track of all of these hundreds of variables for every player (or even a sample of players) for every practice. And also keep track of which players were injured during that time to use as a response variable.

Then they can attempt to build a model to predict injuries based off of a subset of the data, and apply it to a separate subset of the data.  E.g. a simple model could have 2 predictors (but probably wouldn’t work well) - in the 3 practices leading up to injuries, the players were at max speed more than 50% of the time, and changed direction over 60 times, and players that weren’t injured were usually below at least one of those amounts.

If they apply it to the separate subset and their model correctly picks out 20% of the injuries the day before they happened, they can then use the model in real time. So any player that has the values that put them over that threshhold according to the model can be held out of practice the next day.

They would just need to decide what amount of accuracy is worth the risk of keeping a player out of practice. If it’s only correct 5% of the time they might say screw it and not use it at all. If it’s correct 50% of the time it’s a no brainer to use it. Again, I don’t know if they’re doing this but it’s something they could try with that data.

They might also simply be making sure the players are honest with them on how they feel.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2