Fall Camp Notes

40 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Ok. What they can do is keep track of all of these hundreds of variables for every player (or even a sample of players) for every practice. And also keep track of which players were injured during that time to use as a response variable.

Then they can attempt to build a model to predict injuries based off of a subset of the data, and apply it to a separate subset of the data.  E.g. a simple model could have 2 predictors (but probably wouldn’t work well) - in the 3 practices leading up to injuries, the players were at max speed more than 50% of the time, and changed direction over 60 times, and players that weren’t injured were usually below at least one of those amounts.

If they apply it to the separate subset and their model correctly picks out 20% of the injuries the day before they happened, they can then use the model in real time. So any player that has the values that put them over that threshhold according to the model can be held out of practice the next day.

They would just need to decide what amount of accuracy is worth the risk of keeping a player out of practice. If it’s only correct 5% of the time they might say screw it and not use it at all. If it’s correct 50% of the time it’s a no brainer to use it. Again, I don’t know if they’re doing this but it’s something they could try with that data.

They might also simply be making sure the players are honest with them on how they feel.

Must. Contain. Nerd bulge.

This is pretty cool. It's crazy that we have this technology at our disposal now. That being said it seems like there are a lot of variables that would affect the accuracy of their models, but the amount of exertion on the body is probably the biggest one and they can measure that. If you could link this with sleep, diet, and tie in flexibility/muscle imbalances you would have the ultimate system.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Must. Contain. Nerd bulge.

This is pretty cool. It's crazy that we have this technology at our disposal now. That being said it seems like there are a lot of variables that would affect the accuracy of their models, but the amount of exertion on the body is probably the biggest one and they can measure that. If you could link this with sleep, diet, and tie in flexibility/muscle imbalances you would have the ultimate system.

I’m guessing the biggest limiting factor before is computers could just not handle that amount of information before - as far as creating a model out of it. So even if we could’ve come up with some of the technology earlier, we might not have been able to do anything useful with the data. 

On 8/17/2019 at 9:39 AM, Scarlet Overkill said:

If you watched 2AM’s last interview, you may have noticed the “harness” he had on that said “Catapult”.  It gathers metrics so that you don’t overload to the point of injury.

https://www.catapultsports.com/about

Soccer seems to be ahead of the curve as most teams world wide have been using a catapult type system for a handful of years.

Henry Ruggiero, RSL's director of physical performance, says the Catapult technology is mainly used to best augment performance on the pitch and to try to avoid injuries.

"We try and look at some specific variables in terms of distances covered, high-speed running distances, the amount of sprints that they’ve had, the amount of accelerations and decelerations they’ve had," he said.

Though Ruggiero said the current MLS collective bargaining agreement says the players have a choice of whether they wear their Catapult systems in games, they are required to wear them in practice to maximize the athletic gains the coaching staff looks for, without tiring the players too much for competition.

“We’re trying to just help give them (coaches) feedback on the session and the toll it took on the guys, and how we use that to keep building fitness and to keep fresh for games," he said. “If we’re doing a drill in practice, for example, the coaches may ask how long they should do it for so that we have an understanding of what kind of load we’re putting on guys, so we’re not just constantly breaking them down.”

Also, with such a large roster, and Monarchs and Academy players rotating in and out of RSL practices almost daily, the data is helpful in gaining a better understanding of how everybody worked when the staff cannot monitor every player individually throughout training.

“When you have 27 or 28 guys on a roster, it allows you to hopefully be able to manage them a little bit better because you’ve got numbers in front of you," Ruggiero said.

"What it does for us, it gives us a really good reading of who worked hard, who didn’t, and where we’re at as a team,” coach Mike Petke said.

https://www.deseret.com/2017/7/6/20615324/what-are-those-tank-tops-real-salt-lake-players-wear

On 8/15/2019 at 11:09 PM, Mavric said:

Yeah, it wouldn't be a huge stretch to move him to guard I suppose.  But I highly doubt he's going anywhere.  If he can get healthy, I bet he'll be in there.  If not Farniok and....

Ethan Piper has been working at center.  Boe Wilson was getting talk earlier in the year but they seem to like how Will Farniok has come around plus they have Piper there now.  And I'm pretty sure there's a walk-on or two that has been getting reps but I can't remember who right now.

IMO Piper working at center is somewhat telling. He and Cam are our most talented young interior linemen. Doesn't  make sense to have both at center unless they think Cam's injury issues are likely to persist. Wouldn't  mind seeing Wilson there if he can snap consistently. His experience could come in handy.

4 hours ago, Danimal said:

IMO Piper working at center is somewhat telling. He and Cam are our most talented young interior linemen. Doesn't  make sense to have both at center unless they think Cam's injury issues are likely to persist. Wouldn't  mind seeing Wilson there if he can snap consistently. His experience could come in handy.

Unfortunately I think Cam's college career is going to end up like Mike Brown's NFL career.  I don't think he will be able to stay healthy

• Fire 1

20 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Ok. What they can do is keep track of all of these hundreds of variables for every player (or even a sample of players) for every practice. And also keep track of which players were injured during that time to use as a response variable.

Then they can attempt to build a model to predict injuries based off of a subset of the data, and apply it to a separate subset of the data.  E.g. a simple model could have 2 predictors (but probably wouldn’t work well) - in the 3 practices leading up to injuries, the players were at max speed more than 50% of the time, and changed direction over 60 times, and players that weren’t injured were usually below at least one of those amounts.

If they apply it to the separate subset and their model correctly picks out 20% of the injuries the day before they happened, they can then use the model in real time. So any player that has the values that put them over that threshhold according to the model can be held out of practice the next day.

They would just need to decide what amount of accuracy is worth the risk of keeping a player out of practice. If it’s only correct 5% of the time they might say screw it and not use it at all. If it’s correct 50% of the time it’s a no brainer to use it. Again, I don’t know if they’re doing this but it’s something they could try with that data.

They might also simply be making sure the players are honest with them on how they feel.

Thanks!

This actually sounds like something machine learning would be very good at predicting.

6 hours ago, Danimal said:

Eh, maybe, maybe not.  Center is obviously the harder spot to pick up - getting used to snapping.  So it's much easier to start at center then move to guard if needed than the other way around.  You have to have two guys and I'm sure they're looking at three with Farniok's injury history.  If Jurgens gets healthy it would be easy to move Piper to guard.

• Plus1 1
On 8/17/2019 at 9:37 AM, JJ Husker said:

The story I’m hearing is that Jurgens actually injured his foot playing sand volleyball. Also sounds like maybe the coaches have had a little trouble getting Cam to realize some of the things he needs to do and not do to see the field. In that context, it would seem all these things we’re hearing the coaches say about him are probably meant more for his sake and trying to motivate him to make some better choices.

I sure hope after this many setbacks for him that he figures it out

7 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Does anyone speak Diaco?  I'd like to see this Chinander quote translated.

It's not really hard to understand and I see it all the time in youth sports.  If the best players are asses during practice and have poor attitudes and effort during practice, the rest of the team will end up having those habits.  If the best players are also the hardest workers and pay the most attention to the coaches, the rest of the team will follow.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

It's not really hard to understand and I see it all the time in youth sports.  If the best players are asses during practice and have poor attitudes and effort during practice, the rest of the team will end up having those habits.  If the best players are also the hardest workers and pay the most attention to the coaches, the rest of the team will follow.

Got that...question is...how would Diaco say that quote?

• Haha 2