Fall Camp Notes

10 hours ago, bisonwiches said:

Not to sound like a prick, but I’m going to be really happy when we finally get to the day when he’s no longer mentioned. Really not meaning to sound like a d bag, but I know it’ll come off that way, but to use Coach Chinander’s word of the day, the dude is/was a turd, a two parter where half sinks and the other floats.... we should just quit the Diaco references forever.

On 8/19/2019 at 11:53 AM, ColoradoHusk said:

It's not really hard to understand and I see it all the time in youth sports.  If the best players are asses during practice and have poor attitudes and effort during practice, the rest of the team will end up having those habits.  If the best players are also the hardest workers and pay the most attention to the coaches, the rest of the team will follow.

On 8/19/2019 at 11:54 AM, gobiggergoredder said:

Got that...question is...how would Diaco say that quote?

@bisonwichesYou're reading too much into it.  It's a comment on the tool Diaco, not Chins.

1 hour ago, gobiggergoredder said:

@bisonwichesYou're reading too much into it.  It's a comment on the tool Diaco, not Chins.

No, I’m aware it was a jab towards Diaco and not about Chinander. I just used Chinander’s turd reference from earlier to describe my(hopefully everyone’s) feelings towards Diaco and how we should not talk about him at all because he did nothing but bad for our program and is indeed a turd.  Which is working great because now I’ve had to explain and type Diaco’s name again. 

3 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

I don't envy making that decision.  I think McCaffrey is probably the better option, especially because of where his ceiling is but Vedral has been so loyal to this staff that I think they'll have a hard time pushing him down the depth chart as well.  And I do think Vedral would be a pretty solid backup it's just hard to pass up McCaffrey's athleticism.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
12 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

I don't envy making that decision.  I think McCaffrey is probably the better option, especially because of where his ceiling is but Vedral has been so loyal to this staff that I think they'll have a hard time pushing him down the depth chart as well.  And I do think Vedral would be a pretty solid backup it's just hard to pass up McCaffrey's athleticism.

It's a bit strange to me though for this reason. DiNardo talked about us being 3 deep at QB and I thought he threw Bunchs  name in there. Also Hunt said something about catching balls from everyone but he didn't mention McCaffrey. That could all mean nothing but one wonders.

14 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

Vedral while not having a lot of true PT does have the upper hand experience wise.  It's a tough one yes because you never know how well McCaffrey could/would respond.  

• Plus1 1

If I recall, McCaffrey didn't play QB till his senior season.  We know he's got the athleticism to make plays, but maybe they want him to continue to mature into a better decision maker before they commit him to any playing time.  I'd like Vedral getting mop up duties at QB2, with maybe McCaffrey seeing the field a little later in the season.  Without burning his redshirt.  I think he looked like he could put on a few pounds of muscle before serious playing time as well.  

9 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

It's a bit strange to me though for this reason. DiNardo talked about us being 3 deep at QB and I thought he threw Bunchs  name in there. Also Hunt said something about catching balls from everyone but he didn't mention McCaffrey. That could all mean nothing but one wonders.

I saw the quote about bunch which is intriguing but I just have a hard time believing he'll beat out the other two.

6 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Vedral while not having a lot of true PT does have the upper hand experience wise.  It's a tough one yes because you never know how well McCaffrey could/would respond.  

Yea, I forgot to add that little tidbit in as well.  Definitely throws another wrench into it.

3 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

My logic makes zero sense but I view McCaffery has either the #1 (if 2AM) gets hurt or the #3 assuming zero injury.  Please don't ask me to explain it...I can't lol.

That'd make for an interesting depth chart:lol:

But I get what you're saying.  I'm sure the severity/length of AM's injury *knock on wood* would have an impact as well.

8 minutes ago, Calvin said:

If I recall, McCaffrey didn't play QB till his senior season.  We know he's got the athleticism to make plays, but maybe they want him to continue to mature into a better decision maker before they commit him to any playing time.  I'd like Vedral getting mop up duties at QB2, with maybe McCaffrey seeing the field a little later in the season.  Without burning his redshirt.  I think he looked like he could put on a few pounds of muscle before serious playing time as well.  

McCaffrey didn't start at QB at Valor Christian until his senior season of 2018.  His brother Dylan was ahead of him in 2016, and is now at Michigan.  Blake Stenstrom was ahead of him in 2017, and is now at Colorado.  That's two Power 5 QB recruits ahead of him.  I am sure Luke was doing plenty of QB work prior to 2018, but because he was so athletic, he primarily played WR and CB before his senior season.

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

My logic makes zero sense but I view McCaffery has either the #1 (if 2AM) gets hurt or the #3 assuming zero injury.  Please don't ask me to explain it...I can't lol.

I think it makes a lot of sense.  

McCaffery will redshirt barring an injury to Martinez.  There is not reason to burn his redshirt otherwise.  So Vedral will be the backup and McCaffrey will hopefully get in 3-4 games to get his feet wet.

• Plus1 2