Fall Camp Notes

4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I think it makes a lot of sense.  

McCaffery will redshirt barring an injury to Martinez.  There is not reason to burn his redshirt otherwise.  So Vedral will be the backup and McCaffrey will hopefully get in 3-4 games to get his feet wet.

A lot of people on this board (myself included) have had this line of thinking with McCaffrey.  I thought he could play some at WR this year to use his athleticism, but he and the coaching staff have no interest in doing that, and that's fine.  It will be interesting to see if McCaffrey is used at any spots besides QB next year.  The coaches would probably love to get his speed and athleticism on the field, and they won't have to worry about burning a redshirt.

25 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

McCaffrey didn't start at QB at Valor Christian until his senior season of 2018.  His brother Dylan was ahead of him in 2016, and is now at Michigan.  Blake Stenstrom was ahead of him in 2017, and is now at Colorado.  That's two Power 5 QB recruits ahead of him.  I am sure Luke was doing plenty of QB work prior to 2018, but because he was so athletic, he primarily played WR and CB before his senior season.

Thanks.  That's what I thought I'd read as well.  I believe Dylan saw a little bit of playing time at Michigan last year and was pretty impressive, at least with his feet anyway.

EDIT - Now I see why I remember Dylan.  Had his best game against us last year, including a 56 yard pass.  

Edited by Calvin
Looked up Dylan's stats
  • Plus1 2
29 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

I saw the quote about bunch which is intriguing but I just have a hard time believing he'll beat out the other two.

Yea, I forgot to add that little tidbit in as well.  Definitely throws another wrench into it.

I don't think he beats out anyone just maybe considered an unofficial 3rd string if there is an assumption McCaffrey is taking a redshirt. I could imagine a scenario where Martinez has a minor injury keeping from playing the rest of a game we think we are in control of and Vedral loses a helmet on a play or something having Bunch in for a play as not to waste a game for McCaffrey.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Nebfanatic said:

I don't think he beats out anyone just maybe considered an unofficial 3rd string if there is an assumption McCaffrey is taking a redshirt. I could imagine a scenario where Martinez has a minor injury keeping from playing the rest of a game we think we are in control of and Vedral loses a helmet on a play or something having Bunch in for a play as not to waste a game for McCaffrey.

My thought is that McCaffrey will suit up for every game, but will be told by the coaches to not have his helmet on until told otherwise.  The coaches will pick and choose their spots to play him, assuming he is going to be a 4-game redshirt guy this year.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

My thought is that McCaffrey will suit up for every game, but will be told by the coaches to not have his helmet on until told otherwise.  The coaches will pick and choose their spots to play him, assuming he is going to be a 4-game redshirt guy this year.

I agree. As long as Martinez is healthy there is no need for us to burn McCaffreys RS. The other thing to think about is if Vedral somehow gets knicked up. These are all situations you have to prepare for and I think the coaches know exactly what they want to do given any situation.

• Plus1 1

I have a feeling that Bunch will challenge hard for the #2 spot to be honest. I didn't think Vedral looked great at all in the spring game, personally. 

Everyone seems to believe that Vedral is just the automatic #2 but I have a feeling Bunch is right there in the hunt. He throws a decent ball.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Undone said:

I have a feeling that Bunch will challenge hard for the #2 spot to be honest. I didn't think Vedral looked great at all in the spring game, personally. 

Everyone seems to believe that Vedral is just the automatic #2 but I have a feeling Bunch is right there in the hunt. He throws a decent ball.

Unless Bunch got extremely better and confident in a game sense, I’d be surprised if he is not #4. He looked a bit overwhelmed last year and didn’t get many reps to overcome. 

Its all understandable. And we are much better this year at the position than last. 

Just now, DefenderAO said:

Unless Bunch got extremely better and confident in a game sense, I’d be surprised if he is not #4. He looked a bit overwhelmed last year and didn’t get many reps to overcome. 

Its all understandable. And we are much better this year at the position than last. 

That's my opinion of Bunch, as well.  He didn't show much in game action last year, and I while Vedral hasn't shown a ton either, I think Vedral is the better option.

2 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

Unless Bunch got extremely better and confident in a game sense, I’d be surprised if he is not #4.

Disclaimer: I think it's most likely that Vedral currently has the edge for backup. 

But just to be objective, we really don't know what Vedral looks like at all in-game. I could be mistaken but I don't think Vedral has seen a single snap at the college level.

13 minutes ago, Undone said:

Disclaimer: I think it's most likely that Vedral currently has the edge for backup. 

But just to be objective, we really don't know what Vedral looks like at all in-game. I could be mistaken but I don't think Vedral has seen a single snap at the college level.

Vedral saw a decent amount of time at Milton's backup at UCF in 2017.  It was mop-up duty, but I thought he looked ok (from what I remember).

• Plus1 1

14 minutes ago, Undone said:

You are mistaken he played against BCU and I'm pretty sure he took snaps at UCF because he didn't RS in 2017

19 minutes ago, Undone said:

Played in 4 games with UCF.  19/22, 0 TDs, 0 INTs, 13 rushing attempts for 70 yards, 2 TDs.

I think he's the clear # 2 (assuming no long term injury to Martinez, then probably McCaffrey).  I think there is a degree of loyalty here as well.  If it's not critical game situations, I'd think Vedral gets the nod, simply because he won't lose you the game, moved with the staff, knows the offense, etc.  

I got the feeling Bunch tried to transfer during the offseason and he couldn't find any takers.  I wish the best for the kid, but don't think it'll be as a Husker QB.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
8 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Played in 4 games with UCF.  19/22, 0 TDs, 0 INTs, 13 rushing attempts for 70 yards, 2 TDs.

I think he's the clear # 2 (assuming no long term injury to Martinez, then probably McCaffrey).  I think there is a degree of loyalty here as well.  If it's not critical game situations, I'd think Vedral gets the nod, simply because he won't lose you the game, moved with the staff, knows the offense, etc.  

I got the feeling Bunch tried to transfer during the offseason and he couldn't find any takers.  I wish the best for the kid, but don't think it'll be as a Husker QB.  

He threw at least one TD at UCF. It was a long pass.

Bunch definitely did try to transfer. 

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

He threw at least one TD at UCF. It was a long pass.

Yep, you're right.  The one site I looked at wasn't accurate I guess.  Played in 6 games with UCF, Bethune Cookman for us.  24/38, 305, 1 TD, 1 INT (against BC).  25 rushing, 90 yards, 3 TDs (1 for us).