Fall Camp Notes

From all reports and the somewhat limited video and other info we have seen in 2019, I think the QB position is the most improved position on the team although it may be the best kept secret.   I am hopeful that we see Adrian ready to play like a junior or senior in terms of the mental aspects and hopefully a lot fewer mistakes (fumbles, INTs, misreads, etc).  This should give Frost and Co the confidence to let Adrian go full tilt (running and throwing) and those situations allow him to make the special plays that seperate the good from the great players.  If he makes two or three of those extraordinary plays, they will keep drives alive or even produce TDs instead of sacks, etc.   Those will make the difference between wins and losses quite often and help the team get seperation on the scoreboard and put games away in the third quarter and let the Defense continue to play with more confidence and aggression,.  

Knowing the season is not basically over if Adrian goes down for a couple weeks is critical to the team psyche etc.  I thinkk McCaffery will get the nod by midseason in games where we either have a chance to win or we may need to make something out of nothing.   Where the game is under control and we need to just carefully execute the offense at a safe and conservative level, then Vedral may the choice.  But even Bunch will play much much better this year than last. 

41 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

This should give Frost and Co the confidence to let Adrian go full tilt (running and throwing) and those situations allow him to make the special plays that seperate the good from the great players.  If he makes two or three of those extraordinary plays, they will keep drives alive or even produce TDs instead of sacks, etc.   Those will make the difference between wins and losses quite often and help the team get seperation on the scoreboard and put games away in the third quarter and let the Defense continue to play with more confidence and aggression,. 

This could very likely be the difference between an 8-4 or 10-2 type season. If Adrian can make a few extraordinary plays that keep NU in a game it might change the trajectory of a game.

• Fire 1

14 hours ago, Calvin said:

I got the feeling Bunch tried to transfer during the offseason and he couldn't find any takers.  I wish the best for the kid, but don't think it'll be as a Husker QB.

I'd be surprised if Bunch saw the field at all this season. 

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

This is pretty easy.

Luke is 2

Vedral and Bunch are 3.

Neither of those guys are going to ever play for real unless there is injuries.  They have already both been recruited over twice and before they leave it will probably be three times.

I'm not so sure of that.

One huge thing that Vedral has is knowledge of the offense.  Yes, Luke is farther along on that than a lot of Freshman (it sounds anyway).  But, I don't think he still would have the knowledge Vedral has and the feel for what Frost wants.  

Is Vedral the dynamic athlete Luke is?  No.  But, he's more than capable of managing the offense, making good decisions and leading the team.  Luke will be in at least 4 games this year.  But, I'm not so sure he's a clear #2.

17 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm not so sure of that.

One huge thing that Vedral has is knowledge of the offense.  Yes, Luke is farther along on that than a lot of Freshman (it sounds anyway).  But, I don't think he still would have the knowledge Vedral has and the feel for what Frost wants.  

Is Vedral the dynamic athlete Luke is?  No.  But, he's more than capable of managing the offense, making good decisions and leading the team.  Luke will be in at least 4 games this year.  But, I'm not so sure he's a clear #2.

Yeah, I get what you are saying but most coaches would rather put the better guy in and dumb down the playbook instead of putting in a dude that is not as good that knows more plays.  

AM didn't really know the offense all that well last year and put up nice numbers.  

But then again maybe they are much closer in terms of ability than I think.

18 minutes ago, teachercd said:

But then again maybe they are much closer in terms of ability than I think.

That's a big point in this.  We don't know really how close they are.  I'm guessing Luke is a lot faster....but, there's more to this than speed.  Not only does Vedral have more knowledge of the offense, he's also played QB longer.  

Which, basically gets to the first paragraph of your post.  Define "better guy".

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's a big point in this.  We don't know really how close they are.  I'm guessing Luke is a lot faster....but, there's more to this than speed.  Not only does Vedral have more knowledge of the offense, he's also played QB longer.  

Which, basically gets to the first paragraph of your post.  Define "better guy".

I'll go back to last off-season when many ppl were on here talking about Gebbia and O'Brien. Just stop. They weren't that good and neither is Vedral or Bunch. Those are facts 

• Plus1 2