Fall Camp Notes

Some good stuff today:

-Jurgens back to 100%

-Frost had a say in the alternates and wants a home and away version

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/husker-practice-report-aug-cam-jurgens-at-no-center-no/article_7cd976aa-bb8b-521e-b68b-83bfddf4d6af.html

Coach Scott Frost said Friday that redshirt freshman Cam Jurgens has been taking snaps with the top offensive unit despite missing much of camp with a lower-body injury. The Beatrice product and converted tight end had been suited up during portions of workouts open to the media but not participating fully.

Frost said that changed in the last week.

"We look a little different with Cam Jurgens back and full speed now," Frost said. "We gotta keep him healthy, but I think he's going to be a game-changer for us on the inside of the line."

• Plus1 2
36 minutes ago, brophog said:

They're for fans and the media. They couldn't be more worthless.

Um ... no.  I'm sure they're somewhat overblown.

But considering the high correlation between the guys who are listed as #1 on the depth chart and the guys who play the most snaps, they are far from meaningless.

16 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

Some good stuff today:

-Jurgens back to 100%

-Frost had a say in the alternates and wants a home and away version

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/husker-practice-report-aug-cam-jurgens-at-no-center-no/article_7cd976aa-bb8b-521e-b68b-83bfddf4d6af.html

This is very good news. On the other side of the ball, there has been quite a bit of talk about our NT getting gassed after 2 or 3 plays. Could this be why we were so bad on 3rd down last year?

5 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

This is very good news. On the other side of the ball, there has been quite a bit of talk about our NT getting gassed after 2 or 3 plays. Could this be why we were so bad on 3rd down last year?

There were multiple reasons why the D was so bad on 3rd down last year.  Lack of pass rush and poor secondary play being the main culprits.

7 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

I only heard of Green getting gassed after 2 or 3 plays.  Tuioti said he needs to get in better shape.

• Plus1 1

49 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Um ... no.  I'm sure they're somewhat overblown.

But considering the high correlation between the guys who are listed as #1 on the depth chart and the guys who play the most snaps, they are far from meaningless.

Not exactly sure how it works nowadays but teams usually dont dress as many guys for away games.  I think the depth chart means something to the guys who are on the cusp of the travel roster.  If you aren't at the game you definitely aren't playing.  Different school and different time but I started working a lot harder when two weeks out I was not listed on the travel roster.  So I don't think they are meaningless.  Plus some guys just take more pride in being #1 even tho #2 might get just as many reps depending on position 

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

That’s a gross overstatement. 

Walters himself last year stated they were for the fans and media, and more specifically at one point stated he put one out simply because he had to. Chinander last year had many “ORs” and “Ands” in the opening depth chart because he stated the evaluations weren’t done. Frost, just today, warned the media about making too big of a deal about the depth chart.

I made this same comment this time last year, and got the same response. A year into this, with the coaches making these statements, coaches wanting to rotate tons of players, it should be more obvious....the depth chart is for fans and media.