Fall Camp Notes

More on Dewitt's interview: https://247sports.com/Article/Nebraska-Huskers-2019-preview-outside-linebackers-Jovan-Dewitt-134060576/

The best part of it all: Jovan Dewitt was talking football again.

Nebraska's special teams coordinator and outside linebackers coach, having spent the offseason fighting back against throat cancer, is feeling much better. And sounding like it too. He has been working out and running to "get ready to get ready" as he put it, eager to get back to coaching again this fall.

I certainly hope SOMEBODY steps up at OLB. I don't care who, but we really need a lot more production at that position.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2

2 hours ago, brophog said:

Or, we just need to play fewer LBs.

I think part of it was trying to figure out who was going to step up and really change games with good play, and then injuries wound up throwing it all out the window. Then at that point really nobody was playing good football except for Mo until we got our s*** together against Ohio State.

There was a total lack of consistency from both a personnel and decision making standpoint at the position throughout roughly 10 of our 12 games. To your point, I'm hoping that fall camp leaves the starters at OLB clear as day, and I also hope those guys have been hitting their squats and cleans because frankly they got their a$$es handed to them consistently last year.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, Undone said:

I think part of it was trying to figure out who was going to step up and really change games with good play, and then injuries wound up throwing it all out the window. Then at that point really nobody was playing good football except for Mo until we got our s*** together against Ohio State.

There was a total lack of consistency from both a personnel and decision making standpoint at the position throughout roughly 10 of our 12 games. To your point, I'm hoping that fall camp leaves the starters at OLB clear as day, and I also hope those guys have been hitting their squats and cleans because frankly they got their a$$es handed to them consistently last year.

I was being quite serious.  The shape of this defense may come down to how Cam Taylor gets on the field, and he may not be the only member of the secondary that is a factor in that respect.

6 minutes ago, brophog said:

I was being quite serious.  The shape of this defense may come down to how Cam Taylor gets on the field, and he may not be the only member of the secondary that is a factor in that respect.

Edit: Oh, you mean more of a Nickel scheme? Is that what you're getting at?

4 hours ago, brophog said:

The only way I see this happening is if our D line comes out and are dominating in stopping the run. 

28 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

and that may happen BRB...I think we will see a lot more 4-3 instead of the 3-4 because the big guys up front could be a force...

I think it will depend on the game, we'll definitely see a lot of 4 man fronts. But other than on the goal line, the 4th down lineman is more likely to be Alex Davis or Caleb Tannor than it is to be another lineman. All of our lineman are basically DTs at this point, and running four DTs out there is just asking to get beat on the edges regardless of how athletic they are.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

All of our lineman are basically DTs at this point, and running four DTs out there is just asking to get beat on the edges regardless of how athletic they are.

+1, good assessment. And so Chinander tried to use Gifford as a stand-up fourth lineman last year but honestly he just didn't have the strength or athletic ability to do much there. When he manned up against an offensive tackle it just didn't work. 

This is where one of these younger, taller 'tweener type guys we've recruited could have sound weight added to them and really help in the 3-4 scheme. I think there's a lot of promise there.

But it's kind of funny to me hearing people predict we'll run more true 4-3 this season when last year I remember this board saying that this wasn't Chinander's M.O.

1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

and that may happen BRB...I think we will see a lot more 4-3 instead of the 3-4 because the big guys up front could be a force...

This is where the hybrid DE/OLB should be interesting. 

If we actually have 3 guys with their hands in the grass they might be more DT/NT types and then have 4-5 LB's with only 1-2 being true LB.

The nice thing with this is you can cheat on sides and move guys around. 

Going to need the Davis and Daniels brothers to be forces to allow for a much better pass rush.

I hope we see a lot of unique Defensive looks but it all starts and stops with our interior DL stopping the run.

• Plus1 1