Fall Camp Notes

7 minutes ago, brophog said:

Walters himself last year stated they were for the fans and media, and more specifically at one point stated he put one out simply because he had to. Chinander last year had many “ORs” and “Ands” in the opening depth chart because he stated the evaluations weren’t done. Frost, just today, warned the media about making too big of a deal about the depth chart.

I made this same comment this time last year, and got the same response. A year into this, with the coaches making these statements, coaches wanting to rotate tons of players, it should be more obvious....the depth chart is for fans and media.

Even if they are only fodder for fans and media, it doesn't make them worthless. We need those depth charts, damn it.

Image result for its real to me dammit gif

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, brophog said:

Walters himself last year stated they were for the fans and media, and more specifically at one point stated he put one out simply because he had to. Chinander last year had many “ORs” and “Ands” in the opening depth chart because he stated the evaluations weren’t done. Frost, just today, warned the media about making too big of a deal about the depth chart.

I made this same comment this time last year, and got the same response. A year into this, with the coaches making these statements, coaches wanting to rotate tons of players, it should be more obvious....the depth chart is for fans and media.

I wouldn't expect Walters to say much different.  There's a big part of that that's coach speak to motivate the 2nd and 3rd string guys to be ready and be motivated because you could be thrown in at any time.

But, you're telling me that when it comes out and says who the starters are, that means nothing.  So, going into the first game and looking at the O line, heck, the first play could have guys that are listed as 3rd on the depth chart for all we know.

Heck, we need to wait till next Saturday and see if Vedral comes out as the starting QB.

Most of the time, what the coaches are getting at is, there are certain positions like WR, DB or RB that it all depends on what formation and package they start the game with.

But, to say the depth chart is meaningless.....is just not so.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
27 minutes ago, brophog said:

You over-emphasize snippets to fit what you want them to say.

Yes, the reason there is a formal depth chart that is released publicly is because fans and media like to look at them.  But the coaches aren't just drawing names out of a hat to put on the depth chart or throwing darts at the wall to see who plays. 

The depth chart is a public representation of the decision-making process the coaches go through internally decide who is going to play how much and in what order.

• Plus1 3

Travel limit is 74 players for Big ten games.  Your allowed more in non-conference games.

ttps://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/27/big-ten-expands-football-travel-roster-limit-to-74-players/

I think the travel roster is not quite as static as it was in the past because of the increased number of players you can bring.   This means they might switch up a player or two to reward a senior who hasn't traveled or get a true freshmen a taste of the road games or possibly if you are hit with an injury or two you now have a little more room to make adjustments.

I use to watch the depth chart like a hawk but it has lost some of its importance for me personally ever since they skinnied it down to just a 2 deep.    I find the travel roster to be a bit more impactful.  

I miss the old days.   Now get off my lawn. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

6 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Dumb question here but what were the walkons doing during fall camp? We have ~ 150 players but camp roster is 110. What are the other guys up to? Just curious if anyone knows though I think I have an idea.

Probably doing some type of working out and staying in shape.  Maybe they are given film of the practice to watch each day.  Realistically those guys are way down the depth chart, so they just need to be ready to help run the scout team on Monday.

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Dumb question here but what were the walkons doing during fall camp? We have ~ 150 players but camp roster is 110. What are the other guys up to? Just curious if anyone knows though I think I have an idea.

They were put in one of those Luke Skywalker tanks to make sure they’re fresh on Monday. 

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Probably doing some type of working out and staying in shape.  Maybe they are given film of the practice to watch each day.  Realistically those guys are way down the depth chart, so they just need to be ready to help run the scout team on Monday.

Sure but given Frosts emphasis on the walk on program and player development I wouldn't be surprised if they had some sort of mini practice and playbook study/film session. I'd be willing to bet we do more than most programs.

Does anyone have an 'Injury Report' from fall camp?  It seems that injury announcements are lower than years ago - which I would attribute to improved S&C.

Disclaimer: by asking this question and stating my comment, I hearby do not authorize the Injury Spirit to attack our players - knock on wood, and rub the rabbit's foot.:D

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

Sure but given Frosts emphasis on the walk on program and player development I wouldn't be surprised if they had some sort of mini practice and playbook study/film session. I'd be willing to bet we do more than most programs.

I'm sure they are being asked to do certain things, but the coaches can't be around for them.  I think Frost's emphasis on the walk-on program is to get more players around for more depth, find diamonds in the rough, and being able to run multiple stations during practice.  He wants those guys 130-150 to mainly be bodies for the program and success stories for back home.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, TGHusker said:

Does anyone have an 'Injury Report' from fall camp?  It seems that injury announcements are lower than years ago - which I would attribute to improved S&C.

Disclaimer: by asking this question and stating my comment, I hearby do not authorize the Injury Spirit to attack our players - knock on wood, and rub the rabbit's foot.:D

It's also because Frost won't talk about injuries unless they are serious - so they might be down some, but more likely we just don't hear about them as often. Pretty much just media observations on who is sitting out instead of listing all of the minor injuries.

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I'm sure they are being asked to do certain things, but the coaches can't be around for them.  I think Frost's emphasis on the walk-on program is to get more players around for more depth, find diamonds in the rough, and being able to run multiple stations during practice.  He wants those guys 130-150 to mainly be bodies for the program and success stories for back home.

I completely agree with you but it doesn't hurt that everyone be on the same page and know the system. Can assistants be with them? I'm not expecting walk on scrimmages or anything but walking through plays/drills so practice runs smoothly once they are integrated is about what I would imagine.