PreSeason Coaches' Poll

On 8/2/2019 at 9:06 PM, brophog said:

@everybody knows my name, all fan nonsense aside, what do you think about Minnesota this year? In my opinion, they’re picked far too low (and Iowa too high). Very favorable conference schedule, very soft non-con (Fresno loses a ton) yet basically everyone is picking Minnesota 5th or 6th in the division. I understand some uncertainty at QB, which explains some of that, but not enough in my opinion to so grossly offset the enormous amount of returning production and experience. 

Trying to be realistic here, not a pollyana...We won 7 last year with a bad DC and a young roster.  Aside from Cashman and the Huff brothers, we have almost everyone back on offense and defense.  Tyler Johnson is #1 or #2 WR in the conference, Rodney Smith is arguably top 3 among RBs.  Carter Coughlin is a monster at DE, and our LBs are stellar.  The OL is gargantuan and rapidly improving.  If Antoine Winfield Jr can stay healthy he'll finally be recognized as the best safety in the B1G.  I guess Annexstad's foot injury means we know who the QB will be.  If we win fewer than 8 this season Fleck should be flogged.  Nine is to be expected and more would be nice.

After trying to tamp down expectations his first two seasons, Fleck is talking the team up now: "I haven't been this excited in a long time."  He knows all this is true.

32 minutes ago, everybody knows my name said:

If we win fewer than 8 this season Fleck should be flogged.  Nine is to be expected and more would be nice.

Expectations should be very high. Very rare for everything to line up this perfectly for a team. Even the bye weeks are ideal, being before the start of conference play, then at the start of November. When considering all of the factors we’ve discussed, if he can’t do it this season then there should be serious questions.

• Plus1 2
On 8/2/2019 at 9:44 AM, everybody knows my name said:

You don't need to concern yourself with someone else's trophy.  Since 2013 Minnesota and Nebraska are 3-3 head to head, smug guy. ;)

Except when I am a Michigan fan. ;)

Most overrated, underrated teams in Coaches Poll - 247

Nebraska (Underrated at NR)

Going to be honest here — there's not much Kool-Aid left in Lincoln during the preseason. Coaches nationwide might not be convinced the Huskers are ready for the big stage, but media members do, picking Nebraska as the preseason favorite to win the Big Ten West. It'll be interesting to see where this program falls in the preseason AP Top 25 later month, my guess is somewhere in the low 20s. There's immense optimism ahead of Scott Frost's second campaign, mostly due to the rise of quarterback Adrian Martinez (who averaged a school-record 295.1 yards of offense per game) and a schedule conducive to success with most of the toughest games coming at home.

The freshman quarterback that could for Scott Frost last fall, Martinez burst onto the college scene as the Huskers' gem of the 2018 recruiting cycle with 2,617 yards passing, 629 yards rushing and 25 total touchdowns — at times carrying the Nebraska offense almost single-handedly.

Frost says sizable expectations are not too high for Martinez entering his sophomore campaign.

"Adrian, from the minute I met him, I knew he was a special kid," Frost said during the spring. "We had a decision to make coming out of spring ball and coming out of fall camp on who our guy was going to be at quarterback. Our staff could see who he was and had an idea of what he was going to be come and knew he had a chance to be really special.

"My hope is that when he leaves Nebraska, he's thought of as one of the all-time greats at the position. In fact, I hope he's thought of as the greatest to ever play at Nebraska at that position."

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

The jury is still out on @Landlord :P

I have watched the NU/Iowa game in Des Moines each of the last four years... 

But it just reinforces my belief that Iowa fans in groups (individually they seem like fine people) are the worst and least favorite fanbase I've ever experienced.

• Plus1 2

On 8/10/2019 at 4:43 PM, Landlord said:

But it just reinforces my belief that Iowa fans in groups (individually they seem like fine people) are the worst and least favorite fanbase I've ever experienced.

Go read a Colorado board... woof

• Plus1 2
On 8/10/2019 at 5:43 PM, Landlord said:

When we played in Columbia and we got Brad Smith'd that wasn't fun even a night game there was horrible. Then again it was mostly students yelling "F*ck Nebraska"

• Plus1 1