Glynn Watson

Mavric

• 1 year later...

You can make a nice living playing over there.  

6 figures (depending of the league), most of the time your expenses are covered by your team (or it used to be that way), not a bad way to spend your 20's...build up a nice nest egg for 5-10 years, come back to the states and do/help with camps and/or get into coaching.

• 4 months later...
On 2/17/2021 at 9:03 AM, teachercd said:

You can make a nice living playing over there.  

6 figures (depending of the league), most of the time your expenses are covered by your team (or it used to be that way), not a bad way to spend your 20's...build up a nice nest egg for 5-10 years, come back to the states and do/help with camps and/or get into coaching.

My son had a basketball coach for a year who was a solid player at Colorado State and then had a long career in the Euro leagues.  I never got into too much details of his career over there, but I think he did well enough for himself to save some $.  He has been back in Colorado for a few years, is a realtor here, and has like 4 kids.

15 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

My son had a basketball coach for a year who was a solid player at Colorado State and then had a long career in the Euro leagues.  I never got into too much details of his career over there, but I think he did well enough for himself to save some $.  He has been back in Colorado for a few years, is a realtor here, and has like 4 kids.

Cedrick Hunter,  here in Omaha who played at KU would tell me stories about playing overseas when we taught together.  He said it is pretty fun and the money, for him at the time, was great. 

• Oh Yeah! 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
4 hours ago, teachercd said:

Those Euro leagues have really started to up their pay.  You can make a really nice life.

Plus MOST of them pay all living expenses as well.

A co-worker, her daughter played professional basketball in Europe. She lived on Santorini, an island just off Greece. Housing was paid, she had a Per Diem for food, plus her salary. From the stories she tells, she was living very well. She actually preferred playing in Europe vs playing in the WNBA. She was a rotation player in the WNBA, asked to be cut after her second year, lived full time in Greece for 8-10 years, and now back in the States with a very lucrative corporate law gig.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Madcows said:

A co-worker, her daughter played professional basketball in Europe. She lived on Santorini, an island just off Greece. Housing was paid, she had a Per Diem for food, plus her salary. From the stories she tells, she was living very well. She actually preferred playing in Europe vs playing in the WNBA. She was a rotation player in the WNBA, asked to be cut after her second year, lived full time in Greece for 8-10 years, and now back in the States with a very lucrative corporate law gig.

Yep!  It is not a bad gig.  Plus the season is short, in most of those places.  So you basically have 4-6 months free to run camps, relax, come back to the states.  

• Plus1 1