BTN Bus Tour - In Lincoln August 19th

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

You'd think after the bus tour special they could've picked a game that Frost coached. Like Michigan State or Minnesota. I wouldn't have minded Ohio State either or even Iowa.

It's obvious that our definition of a "Nebraska Classic" is very different from BTN's. My number one rule is, if Riley was coaching it was not Nebraska football and definitely not a classic.

• Plus1 2

11 hours ago, Salsa Red said:

I hate to say it but I think Walters becomes a head coach somewhere soon, especially if the offense plays well this year.

I see that as a positive.   It'll still be Frost's offense and assistants leaving for head coaching jobs will only attract good assistants. 

27 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I see that as a positive.   It'll still be Frost's offense and assistants leaving for head coaching jobs will only attract good assistants. 

But could a ton of assistant turnover be a bad thing or lead to blow-outs in a national title game? I understand they still made it there but too much turnover can be a bad thing.

11 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

It's obvious that our definition of a "Nebraska Classic" is very different from BTN's. My number one rule is, if Riley was coaching it was not Nebraska football and definitely not a classic.

I watched the last few minutes of that game last night.  It was jarring to see how fat and slow the NU players looked, and how slow NU's offense's tempo was.  The D on that '15 team had some dudes (Collins, Valentine, Gerry, Banderas) but they were so bad for the most part.

• Plus1 1

I think people are selling Walters a little short - yeah it's Frost's offense, but the assistants have a huge impact as well. Some staff turnover is inevitable, I don't think you'll ever see staffs as unchanging as Osborne's. But I don't think there will be waves of departures like Alabama either - those guys are just there to build their resumes, I think all of the coaches here want to be here. But I fully expect Walters to be a head coach somewhere, and I don't expect the rest of the coaches (outside of Verduzco) want to stay position coaches forever.

33 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I like Walters but Frost is the person running the offense anyways. Ryan Held is the most important person IMO. He is getting any RB he chooses and has the juco connections. 

I see Held maybe moving into the OC spot when Walters leaves.  I feel like he would be a guy to stick with the program as long as Frost is there

32 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I like Walters but Frost is the person running the offense anyways. Ryan Held is the most important person IMO. He is getting any RB he chooses and has the juco connections. 

I sort of wonder if Held is primed to be the OC should Walters move on to a HC position. Held might stick around for a while as an OC. He's already been a HC at lower level programs and it seems like his resume would make it easy for him to move on. Maybe he doesn't like the craziness of being a HC and he'd stick around as a position coach with Frost.

4 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I sort of wonder if Held is primed to be the OC should Walters move on to a HC position. Held might stick around for a while as an OC. He's already been a HC at lower level programs and it seems like his resume would make it easy for him to move on. Maybe he doesn't like the craziness of being a HC and he'd stick around as a position coach with Frost.

Plus he is a Husker. He might stay for the long haul just because of that. If I were a coach and I had the choice between being a head coach at a rebuilding program or being the OC at Nebraska, it would be an easy decision.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Plus he is a Husker. He might stay for the long haul just because of that. If I were a coach and I had the choice between being a head coach at a rebuilding program or being the OC at Nebraska, it would be an easy decision.

Held will be a P5 HC eventually if he wants to be and is an easy choice for OC when Walter's gets his shot 

1 minute ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Held will be a P5 HC eventually if he wants to be and is an easy choice for OC when Walter's gets his shot 

That is what I'm talking about. Most people would take the HC job, but being Husker thru and thru I would rather have the Husker OC job than almost any HC job. Maybe Held, being a Husker, also feels this way.