The Athletic: Is the wild, wild Big Ten West college football’s most wide-open division?

It doesn’t take all that much to excite PJ Fleck, admittedly. But Minnesota’s head coach has been beating the drum particularly loudly this offseason for the Big Ten West, and why it’s more intriguing than ever heading into the 2019 season.

He knows that the West champion has not yet defeated the East representative in the Big Ten title game in the five years of the current divisional format. And the West — represented by Wisconsin three times, Iowa once and Northwestern last season — has lost those title games by an average of 19.2 points.

But that’s in the past.

“The West has gotten a lot better,” PJ Fleck said at Big Ten media days. “You look at the coaches who have been hired. I mean, Scott Frost at Nebraska and seeing what they’re doing in recruiting right now and the elevation of that program instantly, you can just feel that coming as well as I’m sure a lot of the reporters and you guys have seen. You look at what Jeff Brohm has done at Purdue and elevating that program on a national stage and the things they were able to do last year. Most all the Big Ten West teams have been able to elevate (like) that. We feel like we’re a part of that as well.

“It’s a wide-open West. There are no easy games.”

https://theathletic.com/1120853/2019/08/08/is-the-wild-wild-big-ten-west-college-footballs-most-wide-open-division/

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, everybody knows my name said:

It's almost always the kool aid talking, but that's okay.  We just drink different colors of kool aid.

If you're not drinking red Kool-Aid, can you really call yourself a Husker fan?

• Haha 1