Christian Evangelicals—Pinnacle of Faith or Hypocrisy?

So, not a bible person here (and there's no snark intended in this) - is one of those churches you mention in Revalations actually not a "church" per say but a cult like group that was designed to take people's money and promote one race/sex/religion over the others?

5 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

So, not a bible person here (and there's no snark intended in this) - is one of those churches you mention in Revalations actually not a "church" per say but a cult like group that was designed to take people's money and promote one race/sex/religion over the others?

People spend hours on the internet browsing politics.  I'd say if you are interested in that question to read about the 7 churches and see what you think.

5 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

And this dovetails into the whole discussion of where our scientific advancement would be today if the Western World didn't lose ~400 years of scientific advancement due to Christianity.

What is this in reference to?

13 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

No, the closest is one church who follows false teachers and another church who is lukewarm.

As far as evangelicalism goes, I'd consider it anti-christian at it's fundamental core. I worked in a nearly mega church from Jan 2015 - May 2017 and I've lived in that world and culture. I know how the sausage is made, and it's in such a way that the makers have no idea they're even making sausage :lol:

How does the church(Christianity) move forward?  First off, I'm not concerned about the church. The church is bigger than the American church and much bigger than a segment of the the American church.  The Church will go forward.   2nd:  we need to 'DEFINE CHURCH OR DEFINE CHRISTIANITY'  as it relates to the American evangelical church.  To that end I think in America we have several churches
1.  The political church - aka  Moral Majority,  Falwell types - those who have wanted a place at the table of power.  I've always said, the best thing to happen to the GOP was the Moral Majority and the worse thing to happen to the church in the USA is the Moral Majority.  Falwell Sr in the 1970s and 80s organized as a reaction to R v W.  Now Jr does the same as a Trump puppet as a reaction to the "Brown Wave".  Both SR and JR are horrifically wrong and have sold their soul for 10 shekels & a shirt. (See story in Judges 17 in the Bible)

2. The social church -  they don't want to make waves, just socialize.  It is a club. No need to get upset with poverty issues, disadvantage, the least of these. "I might have to care if I did."

3. The narcissistic church -   The health, wealth, prosperity church.  I don't want to rub shoulders wt the poor, I don't want their 'poorness to rub off on me' and doing so might mess with God's blessing of  me. 

4.  The Escaping Church - the rapture is coming and all I care about is "My ticket to ride".  The world has to go  to hell in a basket anyway before Jesus comes back.  Therefore, I can't get involved wt the hurting or disadvantaged  because that will only delay Jesus's return.  I want Jesus to return, therefore, the more earthquakes, disasters, wars and rumors of wars, and famine the better because that means Jesus is coming soon.    What is the hurricane forecast for this year?

5.  The religious church. What matters most is orthodoxy and not orthopraxy (application of truth). It divides people my dogma with "pure theology"  and places dogma over love and compassion

6. The Spiritual Church - the true church that crosses all denominations and  follow Christ and His teachings.  They feed the hungry, they welcome strangers and the alien (not the UFO type mind you), the give a cup of cold water in Jesus name.  They can be found every day working in soup kitchens, food & clothing pantries,  hospitals, churches, child care, regular business jobs and donating time and money to help the least of these in the name of Jesus.  The spiritual church recognizes that the" Kingdom Come" - has started already. We are to be instruments to make this world a better place - bringing His kingdom rule into the present culture. What we do on this earth will be brought forward into the new world when Jesus brings forth the new heaven and earth.  Kingdom building is a processes.  One life changed at a time, one person rescued from poverty at a time, one culture change at at time not through political force but through the force of the Gospel of Love.  It is the Spiritual church which is found in every country, every culture and  of every race, that names Jesus as Lord that will continually move forward.  It's only concern for reputation is that its actions are Christ honoring.

So how does Christianity in America 'rebirth' itself so that it can have influence and make a difference?  Be the Spiritual church.  Go back to its roots, it origins to the teaching of Jesus Christ - selflessly feed the hungry, cloth the naked, care for the ill, and take in the stranger, be humble and selfless.  Preach a Gospel of Love and Compassion.  Let God be the righteous judge that he is and realize we aren't to judge.  Let our works be for His glory and not our fame or advancement.  Allow His compassion to flow through us individually and then it will do so collectively.  Reject hate, division, politicization of faith of any kind.  Faith must determine our actions not political dogma or alliances.   Frankly, I hope the political, social, narcissistic, the escaping churches decline and die.  I want the authentic spiritual church to move forward.  I hope the people in those  false churches will become a live again in Christ and join the spiritual church.  Let the false die and the real move forward in mission and purpose.  Perhaps a little John 15 pruning needs to occur in America and that is fine by me.

A couple of good books I just finished reading I recommend:  Sinners in the Hands of a Loving God by Brian Zhand (a good book if you have a hard time believing in a God who is anti-science, full of wrath, judgment, eager to send people to hell and had to kill his son to take care of his own anger directed at us 'sinners' (hint:  he isn't & he didn't).    and   Surprised by Hope by NT Wright (the more theologically deep book as NT Wright is considered one of the premier theologians of our day).

https://www.amazon.com/Sinners-Hands-Loving-God-Scandalous-ebook/dp/B01MXNSXE7/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2AR21JR2MI31P&keywords=sinners+in+the+hands+of+a+loving+god&qid=1565378710&s=gateway&sprefix=sinner%2Caps%2C157&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Surprised-Hope-Rethinking-Resurrection-Mission/dp/0062089978/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Surprised+by+hope&qid=1565378736&s=gateway&sr=8-1

I would suggest some of the church in the US needs to travel to the majority world and talk and LISTEN to individuals in the church that are doing amazing things with little or no material wealth. It has changed my perspective many times over. There are churches doing amazing things all over the world. I know of churches in Tijuana that are caring for individuals that are waiting at the US boarder even though the church is in great need themselves. 

• Fire 3

2 hours ago, Landlord said:

What is this in reference to?

No, the closest is one church who follows false teachers and another church who is lukewarm.

As far as evangelicalism goes, I'd consider it anti-christian at it's fundamental core. I worked in a nearly mega church from Jan 2015 - May 2017 and I've lived in that world and culture. I know how the sausage is made, and it's in such a way that the makers have no idea they're even making sausage :lol:

Thank you Landlord for your cordial response - I appreciate it. 

2 hours ago, TheSker said:

People spend hours on the internet browsing politics.  I'd say if you are interested in that question to read about the 7 churches and see what you think.

Cool.  Thanks for that - your contributions to the board continue to impress me.  

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, QMany said:

This doesn’t surprise me at all.

One time I had dinner at a friend from church’s house, and at some point I said I hated someone. I don’t think it was anyone we knew though. It could’ve been the mean brother on Wonder Years and I said “Ya I hate that guy.”

And the mom lectured me that I should never, EVER use the word “hate” because it means I “want that person to die.”

My mom still sees this lady a lot and she’s a gungho Trump supporter.