ESPN: Which coach is ready to make the Year 2 leap?

2 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I think it's interesting he makes it seem like a Milton level jump from Martinez is out of reach. Milton as a Freshman threw for 1,983 yards at a 57% completion rating and 10 TDs. Martinez as a Freshman threw for 2,617 yards at a 64% completion rate for 17 TDs. A "Milton-ian leap from Martinez" would consist of Martinez throwing for 1,400 more yards and 20 more TDs with a 3% completion improvement. While that is definitely a jump, it's a much smaller jump than Milton made and Martinez missed a full game and half, had a zero offensive game against MSU and didn't get the benefit of a conference championship game. That jump for Martinez is not that far out.

The pass rush is a major question mark that may not improve even with a better DL play, but I think the secondary should improve and replacing Morgan and Zig while big seems less insurmountable when you factor in Frost's offense moving the ball around a lot and that production being realistically replaced by 4-5 players and not 2.

I think he got a different thing wrong. A Milton-like jump might be out of reach simply because of what you’re saying - Martinez was better than Milton in year 1. He doesn’t have as much room for improvement. 

Where the writer is wrong is that we need Martinez to have a Milton-like leap; we don’t. We need him to be healthy for the whole season. Improve on turnovers. We might only need moderate improvement from him, especially if the defense makes moderate improvement.

More than moderate improvement means we’re going to be blowing teams out we lost to by a few points last season.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 2

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

I think he got a different thing wrong. A Milton-like jump might be out of reach simply because of what you’re saying - Martinez was better than Milton in year 1. He doesn’t have as much room for improvement. 

Where the writer is wrong is that we need Martinez to have a Milton-like leap; we don’t. We need him to be healthy for the whole season. Improve on turnovers. We might only need moderate improvement from him, especially if the defense makes moderate improvement.

More than moderate improvement means we’re going to be blowing teams out we lost to by a few points last season.

Great points!

QB: Spread the ball around more this year 

RB: Convert on short yardage downs 

OL: Consistency/less false starts 

TE: Need more production

WR: Who steps up? JD the only real threat returning based off last year

DL: Cannot get pushed around in the run game
LB: Who steps up? Barry the only real threat returning based off last year

CB: Would like to see better tackling. Coverage improved late last year 

S: Cannot overrun plays and whiff tackles 

9 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

QB: Spread the ball around more this year 

RB: Convert on short yardage downs 

OL: Consistency/less false starts 

TE: Need more production

WR: Who steps up? JD the only real threat returning based off last year

DL: Cannot get pushed around in the run game
LB: Who steps up? Barry the only real threat returning based off last year

CB: Would like to see better tackling. Coverage improved late last year 

S: Cannot overrun plays and whiff tackles 

I think we will be more than pleased with our WRs this year. Noa by all accounts is a great player, but hearing people talk about that WR room in interviews they sound confident. Not just in the starters, but 6 guys deep it seems they feel like they have players. JD, Wan'Dale, Noa, Warner, Mike Williams, Andre Hunt, and there are a few more names I've heard but there seems to be a confidence around this group. Loved in the Mike Williams interview how he was talking about how he really has been working on his blocking. I'm excited about this unit.

8 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I think we will be more than pleased with our WRs this year. Noa by all accounts is a great player, but hearing people talk about that WR room in interviews they sound confident. Not just in the starters, but 6 guys deep it seems they feel like they have players. JD, Wan'Dale, Noa, Warner, Mike Williams, Andre Hunt, and there are a few more names I've heard but there seems to be a confidence around this group. Loved in the Mike Williams interview how he was talking about how he really has been working on his blocking. I'm excited about this unit.

Frost called Houston out by name in his presser too.

• Plus1 1

Everyone in the country will know the name Wandale Robinson by the end of the season.  From everything I've read and heard from people that have seen him in practice, this dude is special.  Add that to an expanded role for Mo and now its even harder to cover Spielman, our best player in the passing game.  I feel like people are forgetting just how damn good JD is.  I also think we have multiple options to carry the ball out of the backfield that are very talented.  This all being led by one of the 5 best QB in the country?

I am really not concerned about the offense.  I believe they will average at or near 40 ppg.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
33 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

2001 was 37

2000 was 41.5

but, obviously, the speed at which this offense operates will probably inflate those numbers versus those seasons.

I believe we will probably we around 37 or 38 points per game. But if you look at last year we left a lot of points on the field that I think will be cleaned up in year two. So yea, 40 points per game could definitely be achievable with this team. The next thing I am looking for on offense is how well we can spread the ball around. If 10 or more guys can get 250-300 plus yards of offense during the season that will be huge.

I also think we will not need to run Adrian as much this year, but he will still have similar rushing numbers to 2018. I believe the O will make a leap in 2019 just because we can expand the playbook and everybody knows where to be. We should also have more playmakers on this team compared to last year.

• Fire 1

32 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

Everyone in the country will know the name Wandale Robinson by the end of the season.  From everything I've read and heard from people that have seen him in practice, this dude is special.  Add that to an expanded role for Mo and now its even harder to cover Spielman, our best player in the passing game.  I feel like people are forgetting just how damn good JD is.  I also think we have multiple options to carry the ball out of the backfield that are very talented.  This all being led by one of the 5 best QB in the country?

I am really not concerned about the offense.  I believe they will average at or near 40 ppg.

I recently read on a MN forum how our defense won’t be able to stop anyone because they can’t stop Wan’Dale, a kid who is just out of high school.  I get a kick how we’re in their heads, rent free.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

I believe we will probably we around 37 or 38 points per game. But if you look at last year we left a lot of points on the field that I think will be cleaned up in year two. So yea, 40 points per game could definitely be achievable with this team. The next thing I am looking for on offense is how well we can spread the ball around. If 10 or more guys can average 250-300 plus yards of offense that will be huge.

I also think we will not need to run Adrian as much this year, but he will still have similar rushing numbers to 2018. I believe the O will make a leap in 2019 just because we can expand the playbook and everybody knows where to be. We should also have more playmakers on this team compared to last year.

I also agree here.  I think it is natural to worry about who will replace Stanley and Ozigbo when they were both 1000 yard guys.  But I think we will increase production by having 4 players get 300 yards or so both rushing and receiving.  When Frost has more weapons, like he did year 2 at UCF and how Oregon did a few seasons, it is special.  Add it to a QB like this one, holy hell people.  I can't imagine defensive coaches will get much sleep during Nebraska week.

1 minute ago, Scarlet Overkill said:

I recently read on a MN forum how our defense won’t be able to stop anyone because they can’t stop Wan’Dale, a kid who is just out of high school.  I get a kick how we’re in their heads, rent free.

No joke, maybe they should talk about out how the hell they are going to stop him

and JD Spielman

and Dedrick Mills

and Maurice Washington

and Kanawai Noa

and Andre Hunt

and Mike Williams

and Darien Chase

and Jack Stoll

....and Adrian Martinez

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

"The historic 2019 Husker offense averaged an astonishing 2500 yards of offense per game.":koolaid2:

Oops, fixed it. If I could have one game where we get that many yards it would be against Iowa this year!

15 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

I also agree here.  I think it is natural to worry about who will replace Stanley and Ozigbo when they were both 1000 yard guys.  But I think we will increase production by having 4 players get 300 yards or so both rushing and receiving.  When Frost has more weapons, like he did year 2 at UCF and how Oregon did a few seasons, it is special.  Add it to a QB like this one, holy hell people.  I can't imagine defensive coaches will get much sleep during Nebraska week.

Yep, every team has big shoes to replace on offense and defense. Heck, Ohio State has how many passing yards to replace this year? Our players are being coached and developed properly now so we should see some improvements at Wideout and Running back. I also believe with a more athletic O-Line and some more speedsters at RB we can get players to take it to the house more often. We should have had a couple more rushing TD's last year, but the RB could not beat the safety to the endzone. 

• Plus1 1