What does a realistic successful season look like this year?

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

I think 8-4 would show good progress and I'd be happy with that part of it.  It would be at least somewhat successful.

But I'm pretty sure I'd still be a bit disappointed.  With how we were playing in the second half last year and how our schedule sets up this year, we'd have to lose pretty much all the big games to "only" be 8-4 (or get a big win but also blow a game we should win against a lesser opponent).  I can't imagine anyone being happy with a loss to USA, NIU, Illinois, Indiana or Maryland.  That's five.  And most would think we should probably have every chance to beat Colorado, Northwestern, Minnesota and Purdue if we play well.  That's already nine so we'd (probably) be losing one of those game and also losing to each of Ohio State, Wisconsin and Iowa.  Yes, that's progress from the last two years and progress is some form of success but I think it would still feel a bit hollow to most.  

Yeah that's the catch here. 9-3 is obviously improvement for this program but I think most people, myself included, expect and want to do more than simply beating the teams we should beat. I mean really, is simply not shooting yourself in the foot anything to strive for? Unfortunately we've been conditioned over the past years to some pretty mind numbing performances. So on one hand, not beating ourselves is much better but on the other hand it also should be an unquestionable expectation.

Like I said, I'm expecting 10 or 11 wins but that might be skipping the intermediate step of simple improvement and just not beating ourselves. I guess that's why I'm excited for this season. For the first time in a long time that kind of leap seems possible. Before Frost got here there was some forced hope that things might not be as bad as ithey appeared but that was coupled with the deep down knowledge that it wasn't likely. Now, finally, we can get back to having expectations of excellence without being completely delusional about it.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

10 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Yeah that's the catch here. 9-3 is obviously improvement for this program but I think most people, myself included, expect and want to do more than simply beating the teams we should beat. I mean really, is simply not shooting yourself in the foot anything to strive for? Unfortunately we've been conditioned over the past years to some pretty mind numbing performances. So on one hand, not beating ourselves is much better but on the other hand it also should be an unquestionable expectation.

Like I said, I'm expecting 10 or 11 wins but that might be skipping the intermediate step of simple improvement and just not beating ourselves. I guess that's why I'm excited for this season. For the first time in a long time that kind of leap seems possible. Before Frost got here there was some forced hope that things might not be as bad as ithey appeared but that was coupled with the deep down knowledge that it wasn't likely. Now, finally, we can get back to having expectations of excellence without being completely delusional about it.

Re: not beating ourselves — I made a comment last year to someone how we’ve gone from being beaten to beating ourselves, which is a GREAT SIGN, because that can be fixed.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Dude, this is exactly how I feel.

Also, I'm not afraid to expect more because I don't have to worry that an 8 or 9 win year (or even lower, yeesh) would mean going through a coaching change.

Frost is safe, and it gives me a feeling of safety to hope again.  Which is so awesome.  I'm starting to get that same feeling I used to have about Nebraska Football.  That championships are inevitable here, and we have the right guy to keep going after them.

I feel like a kid again...

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

8 wins would be as many as we have won the past TWO seasons combined and is my bench mark. We are too thin at many spots and this defense has yet to prove it can consistently stop anybody. We had no pass rush last year and the current OLB getting the most love by the staff is Alex Davis. 

I hope the hype is real and I think we are headed back to where we belong, but the expectation of 10 wins?  K. 

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Nice insight here man. I do have a couple of questions I might ask just to start us off. If we fall short of 10 wins(plus postseason) will you be disappointed and say we underachieved?

Also, will you question the staff because they fell short of said expectations? 

These are just some talking points. I want to see where you are at in terms of these questions. My expectations for this season are 8-4 or 9-3 and an exciting bowl game. I say this because below are the teams we have beaten since 2017:

Arkansas State, Rutgers, Purdue 

Illinois-twice, Minnesota, Michigan State, Bethune Cookman

In total, we have won 2 road games and 6 home games. However, the last 6 games of 2018 showed that we are not far off from doing some big things this year. The question will be if our young talent with less experience exceeds the value of our veteran players we lost with lots of experience. I believe in a few years we will be ready to not beat ourselves at all. This year you will see some major improvements in this area.

I also believe the era of show up and you get 7 or 8 wins might be over as well. Who knows what will happen this year but I believe 8-4 or 9-3 would be a great improvement and a strong step forward. On paper, we might lose to teams we should beat, but sometimes teams can play out of their mind and defeat you and that is okay. An example would be Purdue blasting Ohio State if Purdue plays out of their mind or some lesser team does I would not be disappointed if we lost. Now, if we were to give them the game and they blasted us that would be a  different story. 

3 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

Nice insight here man. I do have a couple of questions I might ask just to start us off. If we fall short of 10 wins(plus postseason) will you be vastly disappointed and say we underachieved?

Also, will you question the staff because they fell short of said expectations? 

These are just some talking points. I want to see where you are at in terms of these questions. My expectations for this season are 8-4 or 9-3 and an exciting bowl game. I say this because below are the teams we have beaten since 2017:

Arkansas State, Rutgers, Purdue 

Illinois-twice, Minnesota, Michigan State, Bethune Cookman

In total, we have won 2 road games and 6 home games. However, the last 6 games of 2018 showed that we are not far off from doing some big things this year. The question will be if our young talent with less experience exceeds the value of our veteran players we lost with lots of experience. I believe in a few years we will be ready to not beat ourselves at all. This year you will see some major improvements in this area.

I also believe the era of show up and you get 7 or 8 wins might be over as well. Who knows what will happen this year but I believe 8-4 or 9-3 would be a great improvement and a strong step forward. On paper, we might lose to teams we should beat, but sometimes teams can play out of their mind and defeat you and that is okay. An example would be Purdue blasting Ohio State if Purdue plays out of their mind or some lesser team does I would not be disappointed if we lost. Now, if we were to give them the game and they blasted us that would be a  different story. 

Well, I'm disappointed anytime we lose a game so that may not be the correct question. However I think I know the gist of your question. This staff has my undying loyalty no matter the win loss record. I can't imagine a scenario where a game result could affect that. We've already seen improvement in the culture, attitude, strength and conditioning. That is such an improvement on the last twenty years that it almost already seems like enough. I guess it's a tougher question than intended because I know we're headed back to greatness. So even if the team falls short of my wins expectation I'm sure there will be more than enough positives come out of it.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Well, I'm disappointed anytime we lose a game so that may not be the correct question. However I think I know the gist of your question. This staff has my undying loyalty no matter the win loss record. I can't imagine a scenario where a game result could affect that. We've already seen improvement in the culture, attitude, strength and conditioning. That is such an improvement on the last twenty years that it almost already seems like enough. I guess it's a tougher question than intended because I know we're headed back to greatness. So even if the team falls short of my wins expectation I'm sure there will be more than enough positives come out of it.

Yea, I  kind of had a long post. I figured you were loyal to the staff because of the way you talk about Frost in other posts that I vaguely remember. I would love to be a 10 win team or more if that happens. Some of my expectations of 8-4 are due to the fact I need to see it on the field. Coaches can say a lot and Frost tells it like it is but other teams are also working hard and trying to win as well. 

Now, we can definitely do well this year, if we stay injury-free and play our hearts out every game it should be a fun year. I am also not trying to obsess over a win total. If we play better football, smarter football, and tougher football I will be proud of my Huskers. This is one more thing we have sort of missed through it all. Being proud of our team because we know they gave their all on the field and did their best to win no matter the circumstances. The rest will take care of itself and I believe everyone in the program is ready to prove that they aren't just talk and they will put 50 on you if you aren't ready to play. 

• Plus1 1

In Sips artcile he has us going 8-4.  Losses to NW, Minnie, Purdue and Maryland....Frost saying some good things about practice and this season.  Seeing TE make plays they missed last year, OL same thing....Rest of article here.

Thoughts if those are our 4 losses? Be crazy IMHO.  Beating OSU, Wisky and Iowa and still drop 4....

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-frost-s-unyielding-calm-belies-what-could/article_ac8748b3-dce9-5122-a410-b3e054c48f93.amp.html

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, lo country said:

In Sips artcile he has us going 8-4.  Losses to NW, Minnie, Purdue and Maryland....Frost saying some good things about practice and this season.  Seeing TE make plays they missed last year, OL same thing....Rest of article here.

Thoughts if those are our 4 losses? Be crazy IMHO.  Beating OSU, Wisky and Iowa and still drop 4....

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-frost-s-unyielding-calm-belies-what-could/article_ac8748b3-dce9-5122-a410-b3e054c48f93.amp.html

If the record is 8-4, and those are our 4 losses, I'd imagine the whole state would feel like a dream season was left on the table.

• Plus1 3
13 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

If the record is 8-4, and those are our 4 losses, I'd imagine the whole state would feel like a dream season was left on the table.

Didn't even think of it like that.  I was thinking optimistically disappointed.  But you're comments make it look like a whole other "what could've been"....Reminiscent of 2009.  If we'd have had a pulse on O, we play for if not win the MNC that year.  

4 minutes ago, lo country said:

Didn't even think of it like that.  I was thinking optimistically disappointed.  But you're comments make it look like a whole other "what could've been"....Reminiscent of 2009.  If we'd have had a pulse on O, we play for if not win the MNC that year.  

Yep. We let a National Championship defense go to waste, no doubt.

• Plus1 2

The base rationale in that article is what makes no sense. This was a very even keeled team last year, as evidenced by the lack of panic at 0-6 and all of those close losses. Contrast that with Minnesota, a young team that played sporadically and whose results match the type of season Sip is describing.

His 8-4 prediction is classic middle of the road Sip, though.