What does a realistic successful season look like this year?

9 minutes ago, 30-50 Feral Hogs said:

I think you can have a successful season at 6-6 if you've balled out but the game just didn't go your way and the younger players played well.  

I can see that sort of scenario for a lot of teams, but not Nebraska. If the offense is as explosive as it should be, even if you account for bad luck then the defense has to be nearly equally as bad as the offense is good to approach a .500 record. 

The primary thing that that needs to happen to consider the season a success is significant defensive improvement. Without that, it’s hard to say the team is making strides to its ultimate goal...winning championships.

5 minutes ago, brophog said:

I can see that sort of scenario for a lot of teams, but not Nebraska. If the offense is as explosive as it should be, even if you account for bad luck then the defense has to be nearly equally as bad as the offense is good to approach a .500 record. 

The primary thing that that needs to happen to consider the season a success is significant defensive improvement. Without that, it’s hard to say the team is making strides to its ultimate goal...winning championships.

I get that Nebraska is different.  But if the last coaching staff and athletic administration ruined the team and culture as much as we believe, then I think we need to measure success a little differently than we have in the past.  Small steps.  

8 minutes ago, 30-50 Feral Hogs said:

I get that Nebraska is different.  But if the last coaching staff and athletic administration ruined the team and culture as much as we believe, then I think we need to measure success a little differently than we have in the past.  Small steps.  

The problem isn’t patience or lack thereof, it’s the math.

4 minutes ago, 30-50 Feral Hogs said:

This has nothing to do with patience or math.  It's about taking a different approach to measuring success after the last coach nuked our program.  

6-6 is not successful no matter how you slice it with the schedule we have, the coaching staff we have, and the players we have returning. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
Just now, 30-50 Feral Hogs said:

If success is measured simply by the record, Bo Pelini should still be coaching at NU.  There is more to it especially after back to back 4-8 seasons.  Just one hogs opinion

I’m defining the parameters involved in the aforementioned 6-6 record. A .500 record has certain characteristics, one of which is production and scoring differentials approach equality. 

If you’ve read my posts over the years, you’d know I don’t measure teams by wins. 

6 minutes ago, brophog said:

I’m defining the parameters involved in the aforementioned 6-6 record. A .500 record has certain characteristics, one of which is production and scoring differentials approach equality. 

If you’ve read my posts over the years, you’d know I don’t measure teams by wins. 

I'm new here.  I've stopped in every once in a while but not with regularity.  

A chunk of the fan base is probably gun shy to really talk about taking our expectations back to the old days yet. I don't believe Frost has any fear of failure and he definitely has a burning passion for success, so in my mind Husker football is already "back."

That's the attitude that the whole ball of wax needs, in my opinion. Many will chime in with arguments about how "that puts too much pressure on the kids." Husker football is about a thriving, symbiotic culture that the whole state gets behind and where everyone is on the same page that the standard is high.

I think that high standard is back and it feels good. 

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, teachercd said:

Another definition of success for me...is when games vs NW and Minny and Iowa are no longer "toss up" games.

If they come in as top 25 teams, then I don't necessarily mind it. Potentially, they all could be at some point this season.

Wins matter. It's what most people see, and what gets recorded in history.
But what is not measured adequately by the win total is the strength of schedule and competitiveness in each game.

We have the schedule to make 10-2 a realistic goal, with no blowout losses.