What does a realistic successful season look like this year?

On 8/9/2019 at 5:55 PM, JJ Husker said:

As far as wins.....

Beat the 6 teams we should; S Bama, CU, N Illinois, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland (at least a few in blowout fashion)

Win at least 2 of these 4; Northwestern, Minnesota, Purdue & Iowa (wanted to say 3 of these 4 but after 4-8...)

Win at least 1 of these 2; tOSU & Wisconsin and be competitive in all 12 games. No blowout losses.

So for wins that makes 9 to be successful. I feel 8 with this schedule wouldn’t be showing enough progress but of course it depends on how we might fall short. I’m actually expecting a breakout year of 10 or 11 but I’ll be happy if they just cut down on stupid penalties, improve on D (more 3rd and 4th down stops and more turnovers) and show more growth and consistency on offense. Plus I would really like to see our special teams contribute more than head shaking moments.

I'm wt you on this - 

8-4 at worse but blaa - It probably means we aren't ready to play the big boys and win.

9-3 realistic

10-2 - my hope

• Plus1 2

Many here are like scientists about Husker football.  I'm humbled.  :D   But I do have my opinions and worries and hopes.   My worries have been about our defense for a long time.  No matter our scoring and our talk about this or that QB or WR etc, we've given up games on porous defense and horrid Special Teams play over the years. 

Now our conditioning looks better (WAY better by reports and just by listening to and looking at our new HC), and perhaps our speed here and there.   But yes, I'm worried that we'll have a productive offense of improvement, but still be busted through at the line giving up third and 8, etc.  

I need a Husker scientist to dispute that and put my mind at ease.. at least a little bit. 

5 hours ago, 30-50 Feral Hogs said:

If success is measured simply by the record, Bo Pelini should still be coaching at NU.  There is more to it especially after back to back 4-8 seasons.  Just one hogs opinion

It's not measured by record alone, but in competitiveness, toughness, reducing mistakes, etc. I think we all agree on that.  However, this team was a couple bounces away from 6-6 last year with a harder schedule, new coaches/system and a freshman QB.  To say 6-6 would be success this year means in year 2, easier schedule, better conditioning, year 2 in system etc. they produced the same result.  That is why folks feel the record must improve and to a good degree, along with thise other factors to have a successful year. 

Love the amount of optimism in this thread.  I am excited for the season and the progress that has been made but seriously folks, pump the brakes.  We do not have proven starters at some positions and we have very little proven depth.  An 8 win season would be success and a 9 win+ season would be a fantastic coaching job and probably worthy of coach of the year accolades for Frost.    

Every game is winnable, so... 12-0 is not out of the realm of possibility. The off season conditioning should double our win total from last year alone. This year's schedule is in our favor with about 4 games as toss ups. The upside is, those are all at home (tOSU, NW, WI, IA.) It's those trap games I'm worried about. Don't wanna pull a tOSU and not show up against Purdue or Illinois, etc.

25 minutes ago, FTW said:

Every game is winnable, so... 12-0 is not out of the realm of possibility. The off season conditioning should double our win total from last year alone. This year's schedule is in our favor with about 4 games as toss ups. The upside is, those are all at home (tOSU, NW, WI, IA.) It's those trap games I'm worried about. Don't wanna pull a tOSU and not show up against Purdue or Illinois, etc.

They’re all loseable, too...that first one might require a little help, though.

34 minutes ago, brophog said:

They’re all loseable, too...that first one might require a little help, though.

There are about six games that right now seem 60/40 to 40/60 percent winnable.

The remaining sis, while losable, have a very low probability of that happening.

On 8/12/2019 at 11:28 AM, The Dude said:

It's okay to admit you don't think Nebraska will have a successful season.  You don't have to pretend 7-5 is a successful season.

Yes, it's fine to have moderate expectations, less likely to be let down, but I'm not going to act like going 7-5 is doing a bang-up job. We have as much or more talent than everyone except obviously OSU and we should be way more physically and schematically ready in year two. Losing five is mediocre performance

• Fire 1

After reading through every possible preview for the West this year, I decided to go back and look at AAC predictions leading up to 2017. Frost and UCF really defied expectations that year as USF was a heavy favorite for their division and many thought Temple would be the next best team. I feel like we are overlooking the Frost effect a little this year after overhyping it last year. 8-4 is the floor for me right now but I suspect  10 regular season wins if far from being unrealistic. Listening to interviews in this fall camp you get the sense this team is in a great place.

What if we go 8-4 with no loss by more than a score and it turns out that Ohio State, Purdue, Wisconsin, and Minnesota all end up being really good teams with a lot of wins and earned top 20 rankings?

If we looked like we belonged in those games but had some bad breaks, and those teams reveal themselves to be legit performers, I'd be fine and happy with that season. I'd want more and be frustrated that we're not at an earned and emphatic top 20 level yet, but then again I don't know what would make me think we deserve it or have earned it until we're there. idk I'm just along for the ride and can't wait to see what's actual potential and what's baseless hype.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1