What does a realistic successful season look like this year?

1 hour ago, Fru said:

8-4 and a bowl would be nice, but admittedly a little disappointing.I think 10-2 is very possible. Would definitely need some good breaks for that to happen. But it’s not out of the realm of possibility. 

I say 10-2. Of CU, OSU, Iowa or Wisconsin, I think we lose one. Then have an OT loss to someone like Maryland or NW. Win the West and play Mich St. 

At first I was going to say something about doubling our win total being disappointing... but then you went and made that last comment. 

You wanna pass the joint man? 

I guess I'm kind of ignoring 2018's 0-6 start as a bit of a fluke that doesn't have much bearing on the program going forward.   The team showed they already progressed past that.

I'm looking for improvement from where they were when they finished 4-2.  8-4 would signify that no significant progress was made over the offseason.  I'd have a hard time calling that a success.

• Plus1 2

As far as wins.....

Beat the 6 teams we should; S Bama, CU, N Illinois, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland (at least a few in blowout fashion)

Win at least 2 of these 4; Northwestern, Minnesota, Purdue & Iowa (wanted to say 3 of these 4 but after 4-8...)

Win at least 1 of these 2; tOSU & Wisconsin and be competitive in all 12 games. No blowout losses.

So for wins that makes 9 to be successful. I feel 8 with this schedule wouldn’t be showing enough progress but of course it depends on how we might fall short. I’m actually expecting a breakout year of 10 or 11 but I’ll be happy if they just cut down on stupid penalties, improve on D (more 3rd and 4th down stops and more turnovers) and show more growth and consistency on offense. Plus I would really like to see our special teams contribute more than head shaking moments.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

10 wins, with a bowl win, is the floor of success for me with this schedule as @jjhusker just said.  I see some comments about setting up for year 3, and while the team should be better in year 3 versus year 2,  the schedule gets harder again.  This year Iowa and Wisconsin also have more difficult schedules than NU, plus both travel to Lincoln. 

In 2020 we trade Indiana and Maryland for Penn State and Rutgers, (net negative), while traveling to Iowa and Wisconsin.   Come 2021 we probably lose 2AM and get Mich, MSU, OSU and OU. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Atbone95 said:

At first I was going to say something about doubling our win total being disappointing... but then you went and made that last comment. 

You wanna pass the joint man? 

NU was a handful of plays away from beating CU, Troy, NW, OSU and Iowa last year. NU could have very well been a 9 win team last year, so yes, 8 wins this season would be a little disappointing. 

MSU returns 9 starters on an elite defense, has a (mostly) manageable schedule, and I do not see their offense being nearly as bad as last year. Michigan has routinely squandered opportunity, OSU will be transitioning to a new coach and QB, PSU has seemingly taken a step back. I would not be shocked if MSU took control of the East this year. 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Salsa Red said:

I think we hit 8-4, beat Wisconsin (I think they'll have a hard year), lose a last second game to OSU, Beat NU, but lose to IA, and MD plus one other on a flukey game. I think we may stumble down the stretch and get a bowl win to hit 9 wins. We barely miss out on the division by 1 game. To get over 9 we're going to have to get lucky or some other teams will have some injury issues.

2020 we're making the playoffs and winning a Natty! You heard it here first!

We are going to beat Ohio St.  Going to climb the mountain and defeat Northwestern,  then if we can Respect Purdue who hammered OSU last year, and also get past Wisc.  anything is possible.  Have to respect the back half of that schedule.

Zero people really think 8-4 are okay...there are a few that will tell you they are okay with it but they aren't.  They are using it as a defense mechanism.  Because they have been hurt so many times the last 4 seasons.

9 wins would be great.  But really I think they need 2 wins out of OSU, Wisky, Iowa.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Fru said:

MSU returns 9 starters on an elite defense, has a (mostly) manageable schedule, and I do not see their offense being nearly as bad as last year.

Defense - check

Offense - check

Schedule - That road schedule is brutal if OSU and Michigan are their chief competitors.

3 hours ago, Fru said:

NU was a handful of plays away from beating CU, Troy, NW, OSU and Iowa last year. NU could have very well been a 9 win team last year, so yes, 8 wins this season would be a little disappointing. 

MSU returns 9 starters on an elite defense, has a (mostly) manageable schedule, and I do not see their offense being nearly as bad as last year. Michigan has routinely squandered opportunity, OSU will be transitioning to a new coach and QB, PSU has seemingly taken a step back. I would not be shocked if MSU took control of the East this year. 

Why not? I don't see any reason they'll be a lot better on offense. Lewerke being healthy will help, but they've got no receivers and a couple bruising but slow running backs. Shifting the entire offensive staff around doesn't give me a lot of confidence either, seems like a bizarre way to make it look like you're shaking things up without hiring anyone better. 

I agree on Penn State, but I don't see MSU hanging anywhere close with Michigan or Ohio State. 

3 hours ago, runningblind said:

10 wins, with a bowl win, is the floor of success for me with this schedule as @jjhusker just said.  I see some comments about setting up for year 3, and while the team should be better in year 3 versus year 2,  the schedule gets harder again.  This year Iowa and Wisconsin also have more difficult schedules than NU, plus both travel to Lincoln. 

In 2020 we trade Indiana and Maryland for Penn State and Rutgers, (net negative), while traveling to Iowa and Wisconsin.   Come 2021 we probably lose 2AM and get Mich, MSU, OSU and OU

For AM to leave after his junior year I think he has to be a consensus first round if not number 1 pick. That likely requires either a Heisman level season or B1G championship/playoff appearance. So, even with a harder 2020 schedule I think we either have a great year then or AM is back for a 2021 run. 

32 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

For AM to leave after his junior year I think he has to be a consensus first round if not number 1 pick. That likely requires either a Heisman level season or B1G championship/playoff appearance. So, even with a harder 2020 schedule I think we either have a great year then or AM is back for a 2021 run. 

I think that is where he is headed, but I think he would only need to be seen as a top 4 QB in that year's draft to leave (unless he just really loves college football).  NFL teams will draft guys based on production or potential, you don't have to have a Heisman or be on a great team.  Remember Tanner Lee? Ha.  Last year Daniel Jones went at 6 from Duke and he didn't set the world on fire there at all.  Josh Allen from Wyoming went top 10 two years ago, etc.

I just think this year sets up the best for a big year and then we might have better teams that lose more in coming years with the harder schedule. 2020 still sets up ok but 2021 is going to be a gauntlet if NU isn't fully loaded by then. Hopefully they are.

34 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I think that is where he is headed, but I think he would only need to be seen as a top 4 QB in that year's draft to leave (unless he just really loves college football).  NFL teams will draft guys based on production or potential, you don't have to have a Heisman or be on a great team.  Remember Tanner Lee? Ha.  Last year Daniel Jones went at 6 from Duke and he didn't set the world on fire there at all.  Josh Allen from Wyoming went top 10 two years ago, etc.

I just think this year sets up the best for a big year and then we might have better teams that lose more in coming years with the harder schedule. 2020 still sets up ok but 2021 is going to be a gauntlet if NU isn't fully loaded by then. Hopefully they are.

Ya I guess I just see Martinez being the type of guy who wants to come back if he doesn't accomplish all he wants in 2020 and 2021 is set up for a run. I wouldn't blame him either.

I do see what you're saying about this year vs 2020 though. However if you can put together a run in 2020 with that schedule there's probably a good chance you're making noise in January.  

1 minute ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Ya I guess I just seen Martinez being the type of guy who wants to come back if he doesn't accomplish all he wants in 2020 and 2021 is set up for a run. I wouldn't blame him either.

After two B1G titles and a natty, what more will there be for him to accomplish???  chuckleshuffle

• Plus1 1