What does a realistic successful season look like this year?

The Pelini factor. Is 9 wins ultimately good or is it not good?

Who did you lose to?

Did you lose 24-21 in overtime, or did you lose 62-3?

Did you beat any of your "rivals"?

Did you lose a close game because you played your best and were beaten by a better team, or did you lose because you turned the ball over four times in your own territory and killed a potential game winning drive with multiple procedure penalties?

We know the record is always the first thing people look at, but how you arrive at that record says a lot too.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

9 hours ago, Mavric said:

After two B1G titles and a natty, what more will there be for him to accomplish???  chuckleshuffle

Being the top pick. If Lawrence comes out after 2020 Martinez might be better off waiting a year. Martinez could end up better, but the scouts love Lawrence too much right now he would go first. 

Nice to see theres still some delusional fans out there. After everything we've been thru I'm not sure how taking positive steps forward arent good enough for most. If you wouldnt be happy with 8-4 this year then i cant help you. I'm more than happy with 7-8 wins and showing positive progress that this team is changing for the better and i'm able to see with continued tutelage under this staff that we will be a team talked about in the playoff scenario consistently in the future.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, C N Red said:

Nice to see theres still some delusional fans out there. After everything we've been thru I'm not sure how taking positive steps forward arent good enough for most. If you wouldnt be happy with 8-4 this year then i cant help you. I'm more than happy with 7-8 wins and showing positive progress that this team is changing for the better and i'm able to see with continued tutelage under this staff that we will be a team talked about in the playoff scenario consistently in the future.

Being happy with something and proclaiming it a success are not necessarily the same thing.

• Plus1 2

20 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Being the top pick. If Lawrence comes out after 2020 Martinez might be better off waiting a year. Martinez could end up better, but the scouts love Lawrence too much right now he would go first. 

Eh, being the #2 pick wouldn't really change much (other than the team that picks him :D)

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, C N Red said:

Nice to see theres still some delusional fans out there. After everything we've been thru I'm not sure how taking positive steps forward arent good enough for most. If you dont think its a succes to go 8-4 this year then i cant help you. I'm more than happy with 7-8 wins and showing positive progress that this team is changing for the better and i'm able to see with continued tutelage under this staff that we will be a team talked about in the playoff scenario consistently in the future.

9 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Being happy with something and proclaiming it a success are not necessarily the same thing.

Fixed it

24 minutes ago, C N Red said:

Nice to see theres still some delusional fans out there. After everything we've been thru I'm not sure how taking positive steps forward arent good enough for most. If you dont think its a succes to go 8-4 this year then i cant help you. I'm more than happy with 7-8 wins and showing positive progress that this team is changing for the better and i'm able to see with continued tutelage under this staff that we will be a team talked about in the playoff scenario consistently in the future.

I think 8-4 would show good progress and I'd be happy with that part of it.  It would be at least somewhat successful.

But I'm pretty sure I'd still be a bit disappointed.  With how we were playing in the second half last year and how our schedule sets up this year, we'd have to lose pretty much all the big games to "only" be 8-4 (or get a big win but also blow a game we should win against a lesser opponent).  I can't imagine anyone being happy with a loss to USA, NIU, Illinois, Indiana or Maryland.  That's five.  And most would think we should probably have every chance to beat Colorado, Northwestern, Minnesota and Purdue if we play well.  That's already nine so we'd (probably) be losing one of those game and also losing to each of Ohio State, Wisconsin and Iowa.  Yes, that's progress from the last two years and progress is some form of success but I think it would still feel a bit hollow to most.  

• Plus1 4
14 hours ago, teachercd said:

Zero people really think 8-4 are okay...there are a few that will tell you they are okay with it but they aren't.  They are using it as a defense mechanism.  Because they have been hurt so many times the last 4 seasons.

9 wins would be great.  But really I think they need 2 wins out of OSU, Wisky, Iowa.

I think 8-4 is perfectly fine for this season. At this time, there are significant unknowns in terms of depth at OL and LB, and we don't know how the DL is going to end up, personnel-wise. 

11 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

Why not? I don't see any reason they'll be a lot better on offense. Lewerke being healthy will help, but they've got no receivers and a couple bruising but slow running backs. Shifting the entire offensive staff around doesn't give me a lot of confidence either, seems like a bizarre way to make it look like you're shaking things up without hiring anyone better. 

I agree on Penn State, but I don't see MSU hanging anywhere close with Michigan or Ohio State. 

Healthier QB, healthier RB's, healthier Oline. I'm not saying their O will be world beaters. Their D will keep them in any game. The O just has to be good enough. 

24 minutes ago, Mavric said:

And most would think we should probably have every chance to beat Colorado, Northwestern, Minnesota and Purdue if we play well.  That's already nine so we'd (probably) be losing one of those game and also losing to each of Ohio State, Wisconsin and Iowa.  Yes, that's progress from the last two years and progress is some form of success but I think it would still feel a bit hollow to most.  

If we go 8-4 with losses to OSU, Wisky, Iowa and one of NW/MN/PU, with 3 or 4 of those coming at home, that would be severely disappointing rather than just a bit.  If folks would still be happy with that simply for the 8 wins but having a losing record (or barely winning) at home, then I don't know if I can help them. :thumbs

8 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

Just beat Wisconsin, Iowa and finish with a winning record. 

Occams razor right here IMHO.  The simplest answer is often correct.  We are a combined 4-16 vs Wisky and Iowa (1-7 vs Wisky, 3-5 vs Iowa) since joining the B1G........We can't find a way to beat them and their definitively physical play in both sides of the ball, we haven't achieved the level of success needed to win in the B1G.

Frost even mentioned that at Orgeon, the physical teams caused the Ducks problems (the uptempo combined with Husker Power).  He also mentioned how much bigger teams were than NU (specifically Iowa).  We have to find a way to consistently beat the bullies of the West if we want to have a chance to accomplish anything.  

@JJ Husker Did a great break down as well IMHO, beat the 6 we should and no blowout losses. I'll add go 9-3 regular season....

• Plus1 2

Realistically, and I am just being real here, a reasonable successfull season in 2019 would look like this:  Nebraska gains momentum all year, winning a couple of close contests against Colorado and Ohio St.  Then towards the end of the season they explode on the scene, setting new NCAA records for margin of victory against Wisconsin and Iowa.  The Iowa win is SO epic that the NCAA convenes a special meeting to form some kind of 75 point mercy rule or something.  Kirk Ferentz asks if he and his immediate family can move in with Scott Frost.

Next Nebraska Hammers Michigan SO HARD in Indianapolis, that Harbaugh takes his team back to Rome and STAYS.  

It becomes apparent By JAN 1st that the National Championship is just a waste of time for these Cornhuskers, and Jerry Jones starts calling to get Nebraska into the NFC Championship Game.  Scott Frost accepts the challenge.   Nebraska beats the Dallas Cowboys on a WanDale Robinson 55 yard catch that was reviewed twice. 

In the Superbowl, the Patriots find they are no match for the explosive Nebraska offense.  Belichek breaks down in front of the post game press corps, explaining in truthful detail all the X's and O's all the preparation they put in, just to get hopelessly destroyed by Nebraska.   He cries.  Tom Brady announces he has had enough.   The reality of facing another matchup with the Chinander D is too daunting.  So he scoops up Gisselle and heads back to their French chateau.

A team of scientists from Canton Ohio descend upon Lincoln as they hope to study, document, and preserve for all time, the methods which have sponaneously produced the greatest athletic achievement in the history of man.

In 2020 the NCAA announces that that forevermore there will be no college football.   No one will ever be worthy of picking up the pigskin again, Nebraska having attained complete perfection.

Well those are my humble, realistic expectations anyway.

• Haha 1